With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Last Non-Temptation of Davis Motomiya

Junior Commander
    Daisuke's lack of imagination wasn't a wanted personality trait, it was the side effect of him being bad written.

Stop having faith in 02. It will only hurt you in the end.

I come from the net
    Lack of imagination sounds close. But the dub did make him sound much dumber then I bet he is. Yolei's only fits because people with a bunch of siblings would agree with her. Doesn't mean it's not terrible but hey, Kari wanted world peace which is a standard want for people. Maybe the first thing they say if someone asks them so they don't sound bad for asking for something normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocifaptor View Post
    Before reading your post, I was gonna chalk it up to bad writing, which people are saying Zero Two has no dearth of (I don't see it, really), but what you're saying totally makes sense. Thanks for restoring my faith in Zero Two.
    The entire illusion idea was poorly written, from how it dredges up Takeru's family angst to Hikari's equally irrelevant wish for world peace. People single Daisuke's lack of illusion as somehow the worst thing about all this pretty much because they hate Daisuke. The only characters who are on point about any of this are Ken and Iori.

02 isn't all bad writing. Ken has one of the best character arcs pre Tamers, and I'd be willing to bet it's the best in general pre-Tamers. But they were basically writing from the hip, introducing plot contrivances at convenience, leaving threads hanging (BlackWarGreymon, for instance) for extended periods of time, and other silly stuff. And as good as Ken's arc was, they made an equally significant mistake with Daisuke, by deciding to make him the static character to contrast with Ken, and then mistaking a static character for a flat character.
    "Remember, kids, it's not important if it's of high quality. Only if it makes money." -Mark Hamill

I actually think that only two characters pre-Tamers had genuinely great character arcs: Mimi and Ken. The others were good, very good even, in Adventure but these two are the ones that are actually strictly pungent when you compare who they were during the first episode to the last. But that's tangential.

Hikari's fever dream, for lack of a better term, is part of the problem of her lacking characterization tbh.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Treble-Clef View Post
    I actually think that only two characters pre-Tamers had genuinely great character arcs: Mimi and Ken. The others were good, very good even, in Adventure but these two are the ones that are actually strictly pungent when you compare who they were during the first episode to the last. But that's tangential.

Hikari's fever dream, for lack of a better term, is part of the problem of her lacking characterization tbh.

I thought Tai's character arc in Adventure was good. He seemed to be the only character the Adventure staff was genuinely interested in developing. Mimi becoming as well developed as she did seemed more like a happy accident to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treble-Clef View Post

I thought Tai's character arc in Adventure was good. He seemed to be the only character the Adventure staff was genuinely interested in developing. Mimi becoming as well developed as she did seemed more like a happy accident to me.
    Like I said I thought they were all good for the most part! It's just while Taichi develops, you can still see that he's basically the same person throughout all of Adventure. I did enjoy Yamato's arc of coming to accept his friends, and in turn his crest, but even he didn't develop that well. You're probably right about Mimi: there's no way it was intentional that a girl in a shounen anime circa 1999 was meant to be what amounts to the general of an army, especially not one like Mimi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12