With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Non-Temptation of Davis Motomiya

I'm going digital
    Visit DigitalCorp's Youtube Channel

The Last Non-Temptation of Davis Motomiya

Near the end of Zero Two, MaloMyotismon traps most of our heroes in their own wishes.

T.K. wishes that his whole family were together again.
    Kari wishes for a world of peace where humans and Digimon live in harmony (huh?).
    Yolei wishes she was an only child, so she could get all the attention.
    Cody wishes his father were alive so he could show him the Digital World.
    Ken wishes he could find absolution for the death of his brother, and for his evil deeds as the Digimon Emperor.

Now, T.K., Cody, and Ken's "last temptations" are somewhat justifiable, as they deal with loss. Yolei's is just plain selfish, and Kari..... well, it sounds nice but still. It's been established by a few people in the fandom that most of the team has some hidden psychological damage. The only one who doesn't suffer from this is our gogglehead, Davis. He only wishes that MaloMyotismon could be defeated.

Now, I understand that somebody had to not buy into the illusion so the story could progress and MaloMyotismon could be defeated. However, if anyone should have a subconscious wish, it's Davis. He spent the first half of the season trying to hit on Kari. He could've easily wished for Kari's love and success in soccer (or even his own noodle cart). And yet, he doesn't wish for this. As a result, the day is saved and the others are inspired to break free.

So, what happened? Has he just accepted that he and Kari are just friends? Has the DigiEgg of Miracles or DNA Digivolving his Digimon with Ken convinced him that his relationship with B.S. [T.K.] is not a rivalry? Why doesn't he buy into the "hype"?

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCorp View Post
    Near the end of Zero Two, MaloMyotismon traps most of our heroes in their own wishes.

Kari wishes for a world of peace where humans and Digimon live in harmony (huh?).
    Ken wishes he could find absolution for the death of his brother, and for his evil deeds as the Digimon Emperor.

Now, T.K., Cody, and Ken's "last temptations" are somewhat justifiable, as they deal with loss. Yolei's is just plain selfish, and Kari..... well, it sounds nice but still. It's been established by a few people in the fandom that most of the team has some hidden psychological damage. The only one who doesn't suffer from this is our gogglehead, Davis. He only wishes that MaloMyotismon could be defeated.

Now, I understand that somebody had to not buy into the illusion so the story could progress and MaloMyotismon could be defeated. However, if anyone should have a subconscious wish, it's Davis. He spent the first half of the season trying to hit on Kari. He could've easily wished for Kari's love and success in soccer (or even his own noodle cart). And yet, he doesn't wish for this. As a result, the day is saved and the others are inspired to break free.

So, what happened? Has he just accepted that he and Kari are just friends? Has the DigiEgg of Miracles or DNA Digivolving his Digimon with Ken convinced him that his relationship with B.S. [T.K.] is not a rivalry? Why doesn't he buy into the "hype"?
    I think it is about deeper desires/wishes. About Davis liking Kari I think it is just a crush which is not like wishing family is all together again and moreover Davis said himself that he has friends and family to support him and therefore he has no deep need for romantic relationship/career success. But of course Davis didn't get much of character development in 02 however there are bits of character development during Hurricane Touchdown movie where we see a glimpse of what Davis deeply wishes for
    '

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    The explanation was given in the show himself. Being simple and straightforward, Daisuke’s wish was to defeat BelialVamdemon.

I actually wish they'd explored this angle of her more. I think Miyako's struggles to stand out were on the back-burner of her character development for a good long while -- I mean, girl's got purple hair, and in a family that is all either blonde or brunette. (Probably dyes it, I shouldn't wonder).
    "Remember, kids, it's not important if it's of high quality. Only if it makes money." -Mark Hamill

he gave up on hikari halfway? he seemed to have more romantic hints with ken after he joined the team lol

Junior Commander
    Real explanation: bad writing.

In-universe explanation: Daisuke is too stupid to actually have more than one thought at any time, and at the time he was focused on wanting to defeat Vamdemon.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Of course, there’s also the fun fan theory that 02’s entire ending was Daisuke’s delusion.

I'm going digital
    Visit DigitalCorp's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Of course, there’s also the fun fan theory that 02’s entire ending was Daisuke’s delusion.
    Or T.K.'s fanfic.

TV Tropes describes it this way: "he doesn't have any emotional flaws or repressed desires like the others to exploit since nothing will change who he is and what he wants right now (a dim but brave kid who wants to help his friends and save the digiverse)"
    Last edited by Theigno; 03-05-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: double post merge

It's been established by a few people in the fandom that most of the team has some hidden psychological damage. The only one who doesn't suffer from this is our gogglehead, Davis. He only wishes that MaloMyotismon could be defeated.
    This just seems like a non-sequitur to me... "established by a few people in the fandom" is not really anything the show itself would go by... and even if those sorts of things were insightful, which in most cases they are not, they wouldn't really have consequences for what actually happened.

I doubt that his crush had any relevance to the plot. Nor would it be actually relevant for the "depth" of his character because... well he's 11 and crushes at that age generally don't have much substance to them. There might be surface emotions but actual commitment long term expectations is way out of reach at that point (which is why even "successful romances" at that age don't tend to last).

So I guess in the end I'd go with the interpretation that Daisuke's general lack of imagination left nothing for BelialVamdemon to construct a believable illusion around lol.
    Last edited by Theigno; 03-06-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    So I guess in general I'd go with the interpretation that Daisuke's general lack of imagination left nothing for BelialVamdemon to construct a believable illusion around lol.
    Before reading your post, I was gonna chalk it up to bad writing, which people are saying Zero Two has no dearth of (I don't see it, really), but what you're saying totally makes sense. Thanks for restoring my faith in Zero Two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast