With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Artwork Drawn for Yuzuru Hanyu, Olympian and Digimon Fan

Digimon Artwork Drawn for Yuzuru Hanyu, Olympian and Digimon Fan

Since the Olympics are over, thought it'd be nice to do this all at once.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Longtime Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe has drawn a shikishi for Japanese figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu to congratulate him on his gold medal at the Olympics.

Hanyu had mentioned that he likes to listen to Kaze by Wada Kouji to help him get pumped up before skating and also when he needs his spirits lifted. Kaze was used as an insert song in Digimon Tamers, which is why the shikishi is Tamers themed.

In addition to the song Kaze specifically, Hanyu has also mentioned enjoying Digimon in interviews:
    I love Digimon and the music. It's [Kaze] a song that has a sort of strong imagery about things like wings and the wind and flying through the headwinds.
    (Kaze translates as wind.)

FeelMee, the publisher for the majority of Digimon music uploaded Kaze to Youtube after hearing this.

Watanabe also added in his tweet where he shared the image of the shikishi:
    Since I heard that Hanyu Yuzuru loves Digimon, we sent him a shikishi board illustration from myself and the Digimon staff! Congratulations on the gold medal! I hope it gets to him.
    (The "I hope it gets to him" it is in reference to it being a gift that the Digimon staff simply decided to send him.)

Watanabe wasn't the only Digimon staff who drew an image though...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Volcano Ota, director of the team that created Digimon, mentioned Wada inspiring people in reference to Hanyu talking about listening to Kaze:
    It's amazing, Mr. Wada seems to be the most powerful person in the world! ^_^)
    He also did his own drawing. He describes it as just a rough doodle that he did during a spurt of inspiration that he figures he should upload. He calls it HoneyAngemon, the ice dancer who wears the wind.

The inspiration comes from a few obvious places: Hanyu being a skater, Wada Kouji's favorite Digimon being Angemon, Kaze being a song that inspired Hanyu, and I think honey is from another favorite of Hanyu's which will be explained below...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Some details about Yuzuru Hanyu and his skating career:
    He's the first Asian skater to win gold at the Olympics.
    His gold medal win in Sochi in 2014, along with his new gold medal at Pyeongchang makes him the first male figure skater in 66 years to win gold back to back in men's singles figure skating.
    He's the first to break 100 point in the short program and 200 points in the long program, and in total combined scores.
    He's the first to land a quadruple loop in competition.
    He's won the world championship twice, the Grand Prix Finals four times, the Japan Nationals four times, among other wins.
    He's considered one of the greatest figure skaters in history and is still actively competing.
    He's 23 years old.

Along with that he's also a big fan of Winnie the Pooh (plushies of Pooh are often thrown onto the rink after he's finished a performance) and anime in general (other anime and manga creators have offered their own drawings since his win at Sochi in 2014.)

Him being a fan of Wada Kouji and Digimon pleasantly surprised a few Digimon staff members alongside the previously mentioned Watanabe and Ota, most notably Tamers series composer/writer Chiaki Konaka and the producer who runs the Digimon Music Twitter.

Thanks to Japan Times and ANN for some material.

Huge thanks to shin for the translations and most of the details.

For those who want Kaze, it's available on a number of Digimon CDs including, but not limited to: (CDJapan affiliate links)
    The Biggest Dreamer
    Wada Kouji Digimon Memorial Best -sketch 1-
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Bolton, England
    Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    That's pretty cool actually. I saw the art work posted earlier on Twitter but assumed it was a comission or something lol

I come from the net
    HoneyAngemon... lol nice name.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Ooh I really like the linework on Renamon's furcoat.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    This kind of things makes me feel proud of being a Digimon fan
    Last edited by Shadow Shinji; 03-02-2018 at 09:53 AM.

I come from the net
    That is awesome. Seems like Figure Skating was the thing to watch this time huh.

New York
    This is so cool! Iím a figure skater and while Iím just an amateur, Yuzuru has been a big inspiration in recent years. Finding out heís a Digimon fan just makes him that much cooler to me.

I come from the net
    Imagine if this actually became the official digimon like that BelleStarrmon.

"Dumb old stupid texas"
    I hope honeyAngemon can be a real thing heck they could work him into the new ps4 digimon story game
    wouldn't that be a sweet treat!

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    It's always nice to have inspirational people turn out to be Digimon fans. And, by Jove! He's so young! He's barely two years my senior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast