With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventure Blu-rays Announced for Germany

Adventure Blu-rays Announced for Germany

This will be fun for those who collect German discs...

We don't often cover Digimon news that isn't specific to English speaking countries or Japan, but sometimes there are things fun and/or unique enough that we go ahead and report it anyways.

KSMAnime, a German anime company that has done many Digimon releases, has announced that they will be releasing Digimon Adventure on Blu-ray in Germany.

The release will be limited to 1,000 copies and sold exclusively via retailer Anime Planet, who has also had exclusive versions of tri. that are packaged in Futurepaks (like a steelbook but not quite as nice, which we've accidentally called steelbooks in the past.) The Blu-ray release of Adventure will also come in Futurepaks, and the first one will feature classic key art of Taichi and Agumon.

The first Blu-ray volume will contain episodes 1 thru 18 and be released on May 18th. It doesn't appear a price has been announced yet, but pre-orders should be available soon with the release coming out in just a few months (the link above is to Anime Planet's Digimon page, so for those who are interested in ordering, keep an eye on that.)

Information from KSM shows the Blu-rays will be German dubbed only.

In addition, KSM is telling people they are getting the materials 'directly from Toei' and it's not an upscale. KSM appears to not be aware of the production chain for Adventure in HD, because Toei's HD masters are upscales from composite videotapes. We expect the German release to be based on these same masters because well... that's all Toei has for the show in HD.

Thanks to our friends at DimensaoDigimon for the heads up.

Update- Updated the above with info on these being dub only.

Update- The listing is up on Anime Planet. Thanks to Agunimon for the heads up.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Images of the Futurepak case and the standee of Agumon and Taichi that will come with the release. It's MSRP is 99.99 Euros and it's listed for 79.99 Euros.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    This is great news for our German friends! I swear, if a Dual-Audio BD box comes out in the States, I'm getting myself a BluRay disc player, no excuses. Or a direct-to-home BluRay release in Hindi. A boy can hope, right?

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I do find it interesting how much Germany loves the franchise. From what I recall they actually sell the highest amounts in Europe, which is how they ended up with German subs for HM

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    I do find it interesting how much Germany loves the franchise. From what I recall they actually sell the highest amounts in Europe, which is how they ended up with German subs for HM

The extremely limited numbers and that it's a single store exclusive tells us they don't really expect they could have sold many of these. It's likely more so they can say they released it (and potentially to see if there is demand for a mass market version later.)
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Agunimon On Twitter Visit Agunimon's Youtube Channel
    Regarding dub/sub:

"Wir haben leider nur die Rechte an der deutschen Synchro." = "Sadly we only have the rights for the german dub."
    So if this statement is accurate then there will be no japanese dub and no sub, only the german dub which would be interesting how they will handle it because the german version has no episode titel scenes, no eyecatches, the logo at the beginning of the previews is missing and none of the adventure endings were made in german (there is because of episode 25 a german version of I wish but wasn't used for the ending)

The price of DVD Volumes (where the first had Episode 1-18 too like the BD release) was about 55 (~68$) per Volume and normally KSM wants 5-10 more for BD versions so the price should be between 55 and 65, which is 165 - 195 for all 54 Adventure episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Not really even if it seems that the games are selling enough for BNG to give us german subs, the most Fans only like Adventure, most of the rest only Adventure-Frontier and everything which is not the anime isn't that interesting for them, for example we didn't got a single digimon game between DWX and ASR/CS because the ones before didn't sell enough and even before that after DW1 we didn't got DW2 or Card Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Agunimon View Post
    Regarding dub/sub:

"Wir haben leider nur die Rechte an der deutschen Synchro." = "Sadly we only have the rights for the german dub."
    So if this statement is accurate then there will be no japanese dub and no sub, only the german dub which would be interesting how they will handle it because the german version has no episode titel scenes, no eyecatches, the logo at the beginning of the previews is missing and none of the adventure endings were made in german (there is because of episode 25 a german version of I wish but wasn't used for the ending)
    Thanks, updated with that.

I'd expect there are 2 easy possibilities.
    1- Leave the video feed as is from the Japanese release. Japanese OP/ED footage, titlecards, etc. and subtitle bits as necessary.
    2- Cut out any bits that the German dub didn't use from the Japanese video (credits, etc.), replace them with German equivalents from a DVD or elsewhere.

They could also do some combination of the above. As an example, Ranma in the USA had it's own title cards, logo, and so forth used in the show footage in it's original USA release. When the show was re-released in the USA on Blu-ray, they stuck to the Japanese Blu-ray footage for everything, and simply made it work.

The price of DVD Volumes (where the first had Episode 1-18 too like the BD release) was about 55 (~68$) per Volume and normally KSM wants 5-10 more for BD versions so the price should be between 55 and 65, which is 165 - 195 for all 54 Adventure episodes.
    I'll be curious to see what the final price ends up being and how they are received once they are out. Composite videotape upscaled is under most people's expectation for Blu-ray, no matter how it's done.

Follow Agunimon On Twitter Visit Agunimon's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post

Thanks, updated with that.

I'd expect there are 2 easy possibilities.
    1- Leave the video feed as is from the Japanese release. Japanese OP/ED footage, titlecards, etc. and subtitle bits as necessary.
    2- Cut out any bits that the German dub didn't use from the Japanese video (credits, etc.), replace them with German equivalents from a DVD or elsewhere.

They could also do some combination of the above. As an example, Ranma in the USA had it's own title cards, logo, and so forth used in the show footage in it's original USA release. When the show was re-released in the USA on Blu-ray, they stuck to the Japanese Blu-ray footage for everything, and simply made it work.
    No problem.

With the statement that they have only the rights on the dub I would like to know if they could use for example the japanese endings or not, if it falls under japanese dub or if it comes with the rights for the HD footage or if they need seperate rights for every song. I can't see them buying song rights and I don't think they will get the rights on the japanese dub for only 1000 copies. So if they won't have them with the HD footage rights it's most likely that they are cutting it to fit the german audio track.

I'll be curious to see what the final price ends up being and how they are received once they are out. Composite videotape upscaled is under most people's expectation for Blu-ray, no matter how it's done.
    I can say now that it won't be well received because almost everyone complains about the german anime dvd/bd prices and the quality won't matter. Newer series with real HD footage get 4-6 Volumes (for 13-26 Episode Seasons) and per Volume it costs about 35-45 for 3-8 Episodes and the anime fans complaining about these prices and for Adventure it will be the same only that it will be more episodes and a higher price. From comments about the dvd releases it looks like the most fans would be okay with it if the prices of 1 Volume would be the price of the complete season which will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Agunimon View Post

With the statement that they have only the rights on the dub I would like to know if they could use for example the japanese endings or not, if it falls under japanese dub or if it comes with the rights for the HD footage or if they need seperate rights for every song. I can't see them buying song rights and I don't think they will get the rights on the japanese dub for only 1000 copies. So if they won't have them with the HD footage rights it's most likely that they are cutting it to fit the german audio track.
    Historically it tends to mean the 'show' and ancillary rights are included for release purposes (not always, but in general, especially in a case like Digimon where everything was made for the show.) In this case I suspect KSM will do whatever Toei lets them that will cost them the least cash.

It'll be interesting to see what you guys end up with.

Oooh need to get my hands on those, since I watched it first in german dub, it will be fun to rewatch it again. Hope they don't change anything from original, maybe just an increase in quality of video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast