With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adventure Blu-rays Announced for Germany

Someone asked if I'd import this and do a full detailed breakdown. At the moment the answer is no. If someone wants to donate 'specifically' to have me import this and break it down like I do in various other Blu-ray articles they are welcome to get in touch with me via email, PM, or Discord.

Skimming more from KSM on social media I have a few additional details that aren't quite news...

People ask if there will be a normal version and they just keep going they have nothing to announce. I assume it's basically what I said a few posts back, the limited release is to see if there is enough demand for a normal retail release.

From skimming responses it appears this sort of thing is common with KSM? Doing a really limited release and if it sells decently announcing a mass market one later.

And they seem really sure they are getting proper HD copies. I'd love to be wrong and find out there are somehow magically native HD copies of Digimon, but based on the terms they are using, the terms Toei uses for materials, etc. (not to mention our knowledge of the production chain for Digimon) it'd be the single most surprising thing I could imagine.

I understand 'why' they think they're getting that from Toei, but I really hope there are screenshots or 'something' for people to see before pre-orders go up so people know what they are buying.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Agunimon On Twitter Visit Agunimon's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    Historically it tends to mean the 'show' and ancillary rights are included for release purposes (not always, but in general, especially in a case like Digimon where everything was made for the show.) In this case I suspect KSM will do whatever Toei lets them that will cost them the least cash.

It'll be interesting to see what you guys end up with.
    Good to know, thx.

From skimming responses it appears this sort of thing is common with KSM? Doing a really limited release and if it sells decently announcing a mass market one later.
    I think what you have read about "this thing is common" refers to that they released the DVD Version not that long ago and now the BD, which is something they have done a few times with other series and that is one complaint that comes up a few times in the facebook comments. Limited Releases only is not that common for KSM to my knowledge.

And they seem really sure they are getting proper HD copies. I'd love to be wrong and find out there are somehow magically native HD copies of Digimon, but based on the terms they are using, the terms Toei uses for materials, etc. (not to mention our knowledge of the production chain for Digimon) it'd be the single most surprising thing I could imagine.

I understand 'why' they think they're getting that from Toei, but I really hope there are screenshots or 'something' for people to see before pre-orders go up so people know what they are buying.
    I'm sure they say it because 1. they had a few BD releases with SD footage and 2. to let them know that they haven't upscaled it themselves. They even said as one answer that the opening is on youtube so that people can look how it looks in HD so they should know what they are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Agunimon View Post
    I think what you have read about "this thing is common" refers to that they released the DVD Version not that long ago and now the BD, which is something they have done a few times with other series and that is one complaint that comes up a few times in the facebook comments. Limited Releases only is not that common for KSM to my knowledge.
    I may have misread the quotes (or the translations were off) but it appeared people brought up Yu-Gi-Oh and a few other releases where, in the past, KSM would announce something as 'limited release only' (with futurepak packaging each time?) and then the item would sell out and shortly after they would announce a mass market version (KSM in response to at least one of these seemed to suggest there were no plans at the moment for a normal release.)

I'm not familiar enough with the German market, but it sounds like they are testing the waters with releases they aren't sure if they will sell by making them limited, then doing a normal version later if they were successful (it may very well just be part of the contract for Anime Planet to get not only limited packaging, but a period of exclusivity.)
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I may have misread the quotes (or the translations were off) but it appeared people brought up Yu-Gi-Oh and a few other releases where, in the past, KSM would announce something as 'limited release only' (with futurepak packaging each time?) and then the item would sell out and shortly after they would announce a mass market version (KSM in response to at least one of these seemed to suggest there were no plans at the moment for a normal release.)

I'm not familiar enough with the German market, but it sounds like they are testing the waters with releases they aren't sure if they will sell by making them limited, then doing a normal version later if they were successful (it may very well just be part of the contract for Anime Planet to get not only limited packaging, but a period of exclusivity.)
    Have you looked only in the comments of the Adventure BD Announcement? If so everything I saw about YGO and others was about DVD first and later BD which they didn't like because they would have waited for the BD Release instead of buying the DVD one.

Yeah they are saying that they have no plans for a normal release of the Adventure BD in normal shops and that it's only on their online shop.

Until now there where some limited "futurepak" releases but I think everything was available in a normal version on other shops (with a little search I found every series/movie which is exclusive for anime planet on amazon.de in it's normal version).

I hope the doublepost is okay, the rules say "relevant information" is a reason for it.

The first Volume of the german Digimon Adventure BD is now on KSMs online store anime-planet.de for preorder and the price is not between 55 and 65 what I thought it will be, it's recommended retail price is 99,99 (about 123$) and the store sells it for 79,99 (about 99$).

This price is only for 18 episodes and from what KSM said only the german dub, but if the information on the site is accurate it will have german subtitles which are maybe for the endings, the DVDs don't have subtitles so I don't really think it will be the normal dialogue. Even if there are only 1000 copies it's overpriced at least for the german fans (it's still less than the japanese release but even 55 for 18 episodes, the DVDs, wasn't received well).

In this case, that's what double posting is for.

I added the cover, price, and standee to the news.

Man, KSM is 'really' convinced they're getting some super remaster. One can hope, but it's amazingly unlikely.

The fact the Anime Planet listing uses old promotional images rather than 'real' screencaps doesn't help... Toei used to do that in the US for really trashy digital releases. I don't like when that's done, because it never looks like the final product (some of the screencaps aren't even the right ratio.)

That price isn't great... if they 'do' have a magical remaster though, it'd be worth it. But... it's gonna be composite upscales from Toei.

I'd love to be wrong mind you...

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    That price is ridiculous

Well, this doesn't need a new article, but KSM put up a preview of the Adventure Blu-ray as a comparison with their SD copies.

https://www.facebook.com/KSMAnime/vi...7506074676490/

I recognize those smudges.

So yeah, it's exactly what we expected (although Facebook compression makes it appear worse.)

I'm guessing the old DVDs are based off some trashy PAL tapes from circa 2000, unless they resynced it for their DVD release based on later NTSC copies, so it should still be significantly better when watching off the discs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12