With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Respect Your Elders - Dip into WtW History

Respect Your Elders - Dip into WtW History

An internet rabbit hole I embarked on earlier today led me to the old Lelola.net, which led me to other old websites, which led me to what's been archived of WtW's old forums. Back when they were cool.
    In case you're curious what you missed or are an oldbie (Vande) that want to revisit such stellar topics as "For those who are looking for Blader and In The Blue..." or "Hyper Spirit Evolution: OH MY FUCKING GOD YES." go have yourself a look. Hyper Spirit Evolution was indeed "the bee's knees" as we said back in the day.

Jesus Christ 2002 is now 16 years ago.

https://web.archive.org/web/sitemap/...ill.myrmid.com
    Last edited by Anubimon; 01-20-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    Am I really still here?

Follow clanc On Twitter Add clanc on Facebook Visit clanc's Youtube Channel
    It's amazing that while I was a toddler others were watching Frontier while it was airing. Time sure flies by.
    Too bad that most of the threads are now gone because of some h4x0r and maybe Greg's breakdown (Where the h*ll is he?).
    Still, I bet those threads where people said they were leaving the fandom because of Frontier's RK arc or the 02 Ending were beautiful (Was there a forum to discuss Digimon before WtW and 4chan?)
    As a newbie, how did people watch stuff before YouTube? Did they left files on some forums?

Red shirt
    I spent most of my time pre-WtW on Megchan's forums or ezboard Digimon text RPGs. Downloaded most of my Digimon media through IRC. Man, THOSE were the days!

I come from the net
    Yeah. There it is. Her ezboard then a similar one. That's actually how I got this name. ...I did something to the guy who ran that board. Not sure what but it doesn't matter. Then everyone came here.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    Ah, I remember the good ol' days when I used to surf lelola as a kid! Also visited Susanna's site Digimon Spirit quite frequently. I still fondly remember those "Got milk?" posters for various anime, including Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh!

I come from the net
    I remember that first site. It sure was something. Things sure do change. Always interesting though.

Dang, I remember Lelola, Megchan, Digimon Spirit, Digital Starlight, The Shining Evolution, Chibimon's Digimon Chronicle, Patamon's World, The Digiport, the first iteration of the DMA, a number of geocities, oocities, and angelfire fansites, the old Digimon Card Database,

Back in the early days, there really wasn't as much of a consolidated fandom. Some fansites were great, others created a lot of fake rumors. I just remember surfing the web for Digimon sites and finding Digimon sites. A number I found through site affiliates (and affiliates of affiliates). I know I found Megchan's site when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade.

I think the first forums I stumbled upon and really interacted with were those of The Digital Empire and the early version of WtW. Something on ezboard sounds familiar, but I can't place which one it was.

Quote Originally Posted by clanc View Post
    It's amazing that while I was a toddler others were watching Frontier while it was airing. Time sure flies by.
    Too bad that most of the threads are now gone because of some h4x0r and maybe Greg's breakdown (Where the h*ll is he?).
    Still, I bet those threads where people said they were leaving the fandom because of Frontier's RK arc or the 02 Ending were beautiful (Was there a forum to discuss Digimon before WtW and 4chan?)
    As a newbie, how did people watch stuff before YouTube? Did they left files on some forums?
    Pojo, Megchan's, and The Digimon Experience were large forums that all predated WtW and 4chan. (I would go so far to say that pretty much every Digimon community in existence predated 4chan, except the Digimon subreddit.)

In fact, Omnitor and Jita, the founders of WtW, were both moderators on Pojo.

There were many, many active Digimon forums at the time, but I believe those three were probably the biggest and oldest.

There were even "niche" (hentai) Digimon communities that predated both.

I, for one, have been Digimon shitposting since 2000.

As for how we watched stuff, the medium of file exchange and chat at the time was IRC. Generally people downloaded the files on obscure Japanese filesharing programs and distributed them via "file server" bots on IRC. Some of the old channels linger on in zombie form still. Later on direct downloads became semi-feasible but generally didn't last long. There was all kind of "parallel download/resumable download" shareware for http links. After a little while, Bittorrent took off and revolutionized the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by drtomoe123 View Post
    I spent most of my time pre-WtW on Megchan's forums or ezboard Digimon text RPGs. Downloaded most of my Digimon media through IRC. Man, THOSE were the days!
    They sure were.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
    Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
    Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
    Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
    They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
    The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
    Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
    Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?
    Last edited by Shining Celebi; 01-28-2018 at 03:25 PM.

I come from the net
    I knew Pojo. Never went to the forums. TDE? Yeah. Same thing. Now Megchan is what I knew. Oh yes. Omnitor. Let's not talk about that again. ...Ever. Niche sites? Yeah. That One Friend one mine I always talk about on Twitter goes to one. It's pretty empty. You know I think Crunchyroll started as a place people put fansubs. Might need to check that.