With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: UK tri. Part 3 Blu-ray Collector's Edition Release- Scans, Breakdown, and Overview

UK tri. Part 3 Blu-ray Collector's Edition Release- Scans, Breakdown, and Overview

Another UK release!

Not only was the wait short for UKers this time around, the release actually got moved up and came out on December 18th! It ended up coming out less than 2 weeks after the US release. Those in the UK can enjoy tri. Part 3 whenever they want now that it's on disc.

I did some editing on these... and no scanning, because I didn't get the UK release (gotta decide where that money needs to go.) Thanks to forum member Kai, we have these images because he scanned them on his own and shared them to make sure the UK release could get featured, the same way we try and do for media whenever possible. So big thanks to Kai for putting in the time and effort.

Most of what I did here was reorienting, cropping, and some minor editing. The scanner used was more meant for scanning documents and further editing likely would have made the final images look worse.

I'm not going to to go over tri. Part 3 itself, but I did in the recent review of the US tri. Part 3 Blu-ray, which you can read here.

The first thing worth mentioning is the UK Blu-ray release does not include a DVD like the US release did. So if you want the release on DVD, you'll need to get the standalone DVD version. The Blu-ray is labeled as a collector's edition, the DVD is not.

The front cover of the collector's edition slipcover (at the top) is the home video cover for tri. Part 3 in Japan. The cover looks very nice overall. The logo placement is reasonably good and doesn't cover anything important.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Originally the release was solicited with a cover using tri. artwork from the September 2016 issue of Animedia. That was changed roughly two weeks later to the tri. Part 3 themed cover. Some stores still have the originally solicited cover in their listings.

The back of the slipcover is very clean.

In a number of ways it feels like this back cover was based off the digital motif used in the Japanese release. While it has a nice overall look, I'm not sure I like the text and screencaps at an angle like that though.

The heavy amounts of yellow and black used can feel a bit unpleasant to the eye though due to just how much they contrast with each other.

The back also has extras listed, along with various technical specs.

The spine of the slipcover looks nice. The number on the yellow lines up perfectly with how prior releases used grey and green.

The actual BD cover insert itself is basically what you expect, roughly the same as what was used on the slipcover, just in insert form.

And the insert is reversible!

This one uses the theatrical poster from tri. Part 3, and uses different logo placement than the Shout release did. In addition, due to the different logo placement, they were able to have the art zoomed in quite a bit more than it is on the Shout release. It looks very nice and there are far less logos and other required things, since this cover won't ever be consumer facing in stores. The back cover also inverts the colors of the background (it doesn't blind me as much as the normal one.) It's a very nice looking over, and I wouldn't be shocked if many people swap their covers to this version (especially since the main cover is nearly 1:1 to the slipcover.)

The tri. style motif continues to the disc...

The disc looks very nice and clean. It has the various logos on it, but otherwise sticks to the tri. style motif that is used elsewhere in this release (which was originally used in various Japanese tri. releases.) The motif is done in a very similiar color the primary yellow used on the disc label, which causes the motif to not be that noticeable.

The release also includes a few physical extras.

These four art cards each uses a different piece of art that'll most likely be familiar to tri. fans. Each looks very nice, and I expect they'll look extra fantastic if anyone decides to frame them.

I expect if Gomamon doesn't show up in the eventual release of Part 4 people are going to be very unhappy though.

The other extra is a poster.

The poster is to large to get on a scanner, but Kai took a photo just to show what it looks like. It looks roughly the same as the reversible cover, but with a bit of reformatting (since the poster is much larger) along with the image itself being a bit more vertical (since it doesn't have to fit the height of a BD cover.)

I can't go over the on disk content in detail since I don't have it, but I can go over the few things I do know.

The video is listed as 1080p. I expect that'll be at 24fps, same as the US disc (and quite possibly may be the same encode.)

Audio is listed as being DTS-HD Master Audio, which is lossless. It's listed as having both a 5.1 and 2.0 English track, along with a 2.0 Japanese track. This is different than the US release which had 5.1 Japanese audio.

It is also listed as having English subtitles.

The on disc extra is listed as the same as on the US release, so I'll include what I said about them in the US review:
    They recorded the panel that was held right after the tri. Part 3 dub premiere at Anime Expo 2017!

It's a relatively fun panel, moderated by Shout producer Brian Ward. Joshua Seth, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, and Jeff Nimoy all seem to have great fun on the panel, which is an amusing watch.

Clocking in at 35 minutes, it's a rather sizeable extra that fans will appreciate.

The panel appears to be complete, with a bleep or two where appropriate along with a bit of blurring when Jeff Nimoy decides to discuss his thoughts on Agumon in hilarious fashion towards the end of the panel.

That's it for this one. The UK release was a nice and short wait this time and it appears to be a pretty good release that is roughly equivalent to what we got in the USA. If you prefer art cards, a reversible cover, and a poster, the UK one is better. If you prefer a DVD and digital copy the US one is better. I think there are likely arguments to be made about either one.

Big thanks again to Kai for the scans, which can be found in our gallery.

If you have any questions about the release feel free to ask, we have quite a few members from the UK and I'm sure they'd be willing to answer questions from those of you trying to decide if you should buy the release.

If I'm able to in the future I will attempt to get ahold of a copy of the disc to expand the breakdown, similiar to what I would normally do.

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the Blu-ray or tri.

Amazon UK pages to order (not affiliate links)
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 BD Collector's Edition
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 DVD

Those in the USA will of course want to get that release (Affiliate links)
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 DVD

Our friends in Australia will be getting tri. Part 3 in March and details about that can be found here.

The breakdown/scans/screenshots of the USA Blu-ray/DVD/Digital release can be found here.

Images are hosted on our gallery and embedded on the forum, so let us know if anything is acting up.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I can't believe it's rated as a U. that means it's aimed at 1-3 year olds. I would given it a 12. I think they just rated it without seeing it tbh, I don't think Tri fits U. Pretty sure stuff like Tamers wasn't U.

Not even PG lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    I can't believe it's rated as a U. that means it's aimed at 1-3 year olds. I would given it a 12. I think they just rated it without seeing it tbh, I don't think Tri fits U. Pretty sure stuff like Tamers wasn't U.

Not even PG lol
    Based on the actual posted definition of that rating it's not that young.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/what-classification/u

I'd argue it's a bit of a stretch, but fits into it closely enough.

There is only one fight that has dramatic plot relevance and has a character give a positive speech towards the end of it.

Based on Part 3 being 'extremely' heavy on general character drama, which wouldn't affect the rating it doesn't seem that surprising even if the rating does skew a touch low.

But based on actual dramatic content they maybe should have bumped it up to match the ratings from 1 and 2 in the UK.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Visit Tsurugi's Youtube Channel
    Yeah, I'll agree with Marc on the rating, Tri part 3 is less action heavy than the previous entries and more focuses on character interactions, so it makes sense.
    And though I expect Part 4 to bring back the PG rating, I'd wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be rated at least 12