With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Luna wants to talk about Frontier

Question Luna wants to talk about Frontier

Hi! I rewatched all of Frontier during my Christmas break because it is my favorite season despite its flaws. It was a very nostalgic experience, I felt like it was 2003 again...I have so much to say though so bare with me!

First of all, the thing I still can't quite comprehend is what in the world happened between Kouji's and Kouchi's parents that made them hate each other so much that they would completely cut ties forever and lie /withhold information from their son(s) about the other? I mean, divorce happens all the time but usually you don't hide the fact that your child has a brother? Especially in Kouji's dad's case. Why go as far as telling your kid his mom is dead? If Kousei (that's his name, right?) didn't want Kouji to ever seek out his mother, why did he give him a picture of her? In fact, why did he keep a picture of her at all, if things ended so badly for them?

Also, how the heck did they pick which baby they would each keep? And as parents, wouldn't you want to know how your other son is doing? Kouichi's mom was portrayed as very sad and lonely so I feel that at least she was very hurt by this and wanted to see Kouji but she couldn't because of ??? (What's preventing her?) . I think she probably told Kouichi his dad left when he was a baby (the truth) but didn't mention he had a brother because she didn't want Kouichi to seek him out because that would mean he would also find his dad and she didn't want that because ???? I'm at a blank here. I can't find a reason for the parents to want to keep the kids apart, apart from fourth wall reasons of creating the lost twin subplot. Why did they think this was a good idea? Have they never heard of shared custody? Yamato and Takeru also live separately with one parent but they still manage to see other?? That's why I can only imagine something so bad happened between them and they hate each so bad now that they don't want to meet ever again, at the cost of giving up one child each forever and hiding each other's existence. But that just sounds like such an extreme solution.

In the ending, we see Kouji meeting his mom, but there is no mention of Kouichi meeting his dad. I headcanon this is because Kouichi wants nothing to do with him after what he's done to his mom. But there isn't enough info to know for sure. I still find it interesting, though confusing...

Speaking of Kouichi, correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't get the message from Ophanimon to go to the train station. It was just a coincidence(?) that he happened to be there. Does that mean he's not truly a Chosen Child? Even though the Spirits of Darkness accepted him, was it really meant to be him all along? Or did Ophanimon actually "know" and planned this far too. She was the one who told him to remember who he was when he was about to kill Kouji, (how did she even know?) and she also told Kouji "the mystery surrounding you will soon be resolved" . Which kinda makes no sense since from Kouji's point of view, there shouldn't have been any mystery he was aware of. I wonder what would have happened if Kouichi had not fallen down the stairs and had gotten on a train normally with the rest of the kids?

That reminds me of another thing. Cherubimon mentions that he tried the spirit of darkness on many digimon but none was a fit. Does that mean that for a spirit to take shape, it needs to be joined to a Digimon (or human) absolutely? I was under the impression that Ranamon, Grottomon, Mercuremon and Arbormon WERE the actual physical form of the Warriors, with no other Digimon as a "base".

Other question: they mention that Digimon can't live in the human world (in Frontier, at least). They don't really say more than that. Does that mean Digimon would die/ couldn't survive there? If so, why did the Royal Knights and Lucemon want to conquer it? Or did they mean "can't live in the human world" in a functional / social way?

One more thing! Okay, two more things. I rewatched the ending to Hunters just for the Takuya part and got confused. I'm able to believe clock guy was able to restore everyone's phone into digivices for the cause, but then Ken himself says "I've brought Takuya-kun's friends." Why Ken and what does he mean by that? Did he actually go to get them in their world or did he just lead them here to the battle? And were Takuya's friends there physically like Yamato and Ken were and they just were not drawn for budget/time reasons? Or were they not actually there with Takuya. Because this suggests they were not there physically:

They look like they're just Spirits/random little balls and that makes no sense since we've never seen them do something like that. Also, where the heck is Kouichi's ball/spirit thing? I can only think of 3 reasons: 1: since he wasn't there originally when the kids became Susanoomon, whoever wrote that scene though it made more sense not to use him. 2: Since he gave his spirits to Kouji, and Kouji never had a chance to give them back, he doesn't have any. (But if they had their Digivices back, if only temporarily, there was no way he'd be unable to give it back) 3: This event took place while Kouichi was still in the hospital/too weak to participate.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard but I like when things make sense within their own nonsense. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Sapphire Luna; 01-01-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    The twins’ situation doesn’t really make much sense, but I’ve heard joint custody isn’t really a thing in Japan (see Yamato and Takeru).

I believe that Mercuremon and company were Digimon that were given Spirits to become what they were, like how Shamamon temporarily became Vritramon.

And I figured the light balls in Hunters were the Frontier kids in mid-evolution. I doubt that Ken actually went to their universe to get them.

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    1. Divorce and tell lies
    2. ????
    3. Profit!

At least as far as my limited research goes japanese child custody laws are a mess, or at least used to be. Laws in that area appear to be getting modernized in the last few years but one paper about the divorce and custody in japan published in 1990 described the situation at the time as follows:
    "In many cases children cannot legally meet the parent who has left as a result of divorce, partly because there is no provision in Japanese Civil Law for "visiting rights." In practice, the absent parent and the child rarely meet after divorce."
    Note of course that the divorce of Kouji's parents has to have taken place around that time.

(Another prominent point of the paper is also how rulings about custody excessively shifted towards favoring mothers over fathers... so one of the more unlikely parts about their situation is the fact that the father managed getting custody of any of the kids at all.)

Speaking of Kouichi, correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't get the message from Ophanimon to go to the train station. It was just a coincidence(?) that he happened to be there. Does that mean he's not truly a Chosen Child? Even though the Spirits of Darkness accepted him, was it really meant to be him all along? Or did Ophanimon actually "know" and planned this far too. She was the one who told him to remember who he was when he was about to kill Kouji, (how did she even know?) and she also told Kouji "the mystery surrounding you will soon be resolved" . Which kinda makes no sense since from Kouji's point of view, there shouldn't have been any mystery he was aware of. I wonder what would have happened if Kouichi had not fallen down the stairs and had gotten on a train normally with the rest of the kids?
    Ophanimon has at least some kind of mind reading/analysis powers comparable to the homeostasis in adventure that let her determine which children to choose in the first place, and in addition to that at least some means to influence events in the human world such as printing out magical train tickets... so who knows to what extent or in what time frame she could set things up. Her knowing things about Kouji he himself didn't know doesn't strike me as anymore unlikely than her knowing about anything that happens in the human world in general. I think two additional points might be important here: first, I don't think if we ever see Koichi owning a cell phone at all (remember, back in 2002 grade schoolers owning cell phones wasn't that super common... even in japan) so the "normal" recruiting method might not have been possible for him in the first place.
    Secondly, about the possibility of everything being coincidence... you kind of have to wonder if the notion of "chance" even exists at an universal level in a setting where closed time loops seem to be a thing.

Other question: they mention that Digimon can't live in the human world (in Frontier, at least). They don't really say more than that. Does that mean Digimon would die/ couldn't survive there? If so, why did the Royal Knights and Lucemon want to conquer it? Or did they mean "can't live in the human world" in a functional / social way?
    Bokomon was quite clear about it... a Digimon living in the human world would create a "distortion" that would end up destroying the world itself.
    So it seems Digimon matter might simply not be compatible with the frontier human world in some kind of very basic way.
    As for Lucemon and the Royal Knights... it's possible they simply were never aware of that. Or maybe Lucemon just didn't tell the knights because of him being a jerk. Both seems plausible.

One more thing! Okay, two more things. I rewatched the ending to Hunters just for the Takuya part and got confused.
    Hunters didn't seem to care to much about making any sense in any of its crossover parts...
    Last edited by Theigno; 01-01-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Follow AguChamp On Twitter Visit AguChamp's Youtube Channel
    I'm guessing Lucemon and the Royal Knights had some sort of plan to properly realize in the real world that the Chosen Children probably stomped simultaneously.
    Considering that Takuya was able to partially realize, I can see them doing so, especially with the backbone and digital energy of the entire Digital World. Then again, Lucemon might possibly just want to take out the universe in a suicidal blaze of glory and didn't want to tell the Royal Knights till the Chosen were out of the way.

As for Hunters, the animators probably got lazy and remembered how minuscule the other Digidestined were by the Royal Knights arc, and figured that the Digimon themselves would be more important to portray than every tamer.
    Though I have zero backing for this, maybe they also didn't have enough times for the actors and dialogue.
    Less of an Agumon Champion, more of a general Fan

>currently raising<
    Digimon Pendulum 20th
    Koume(L)/ Kotake(R)

Digimon Pendulum 20th Manual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vG...9wSpwf-DOPhqk7

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    well in Lucemons case, he does seem to posses some world merging power in Savers: Another Mission, so maybe that´s how.
    his short apperance in the human world while in SM didn´t destroy the human world either.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    At least as far as my limited research goes japanese child custody laws are a mess, or at least used to be. Laws in that area appear to be getting modernized in the last few years but one paper about the divorce and custody in japan published in 1990 described the situation at the time as follows:
    "In many cases children cannot legally meet the parent who has left as a result of divorce, partly because there is no provision in Japanese Civil Law for "visiting rights." In practice, the absent parent and the child rarely meet after divorce."
    Thanks, that's interesting and gives it a bit more sense. That seems like a cruel law though. Making parents choose between staying with someone they don't love anymore or never seeingtheir kids again. I can imagine it creating situations where parents staying together even though they don't want to because they don't want to give up on their child. That can't create a good family atmosphere though.

I guess the parents felt there was no point telling their son he had a brother since they can't legally meet anyways? But then Kouji and mom ended up meeting anyways, so does that mean mom broke the law? Or is the law kinda loose...

I guess that also explains how Yamato and Takeru say they don't meet very much in Adventure. In 02 and Tri, they meet all the time though...
    Last edited by Sapphire Luna; 01-01-2018 at 03:37 PM.

I don't see any evidence of Lucemon having any specific "world merging" powers in frontier. The actual quote from Bokomon states that the world will be destroyed by the distortion "eventually" which implies that the destruction would not be instantaneous. In the case of both Flamon and Lucemon they were probably just not long enough in the human world for long enough to cause any significant distortions (Lucemon messing with electronics might have been the beginning of one though).

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Luna View Post
    I guess the parents felt there was no point telling their son he had a brother since they can't legally meet anyways? But then Kouji and mom ended up meeting anyways, so does that mean mom broke the law? Or is the law kinda loose...
    I doubt that the law itself declared any contact to be illegal. It just means that the law wouldn't help anyone in that situation (I'm not a lawyer and it's probably more complex as legal matters tend to be).
    And as mentioned before... things are changing.

I don't have much to say beyond the child custody thing likely being done for dramatic effect and encouraging you to not think too much about Xros Wars/Hunters...

But I'm certainly glad that you enjoyed Frontier! I likewise love it despite its flaws. The plot kind of meanders around near the middle and the kids themselves all seem to have the same issues (except for the brothers), but the sense of scale and world-building that Frontier accomplishes kind of astounds me. One of the current Digimon podcasts (I think Podigious) was reviewing Frontier relatively recently and I believe someone on that podcast talked about the American frontier and how the Frontier season related to these ideas. It was really cool!

I'm going digital
    If I remember correctly kojis dad decided to divorce his wife one day and married someone else.

It must of happened when they were babies since koji and Kochi had no idea the other existed or they had another parent out there. I guess in their custody battle they decided they each would take one kid as their own.

Kojis dad really seemed like the bad guy in this I'm not sure if this regularly happens in Japanese divorces but it's definitely messed up.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast