With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year 2018! and State of the Site

Happy New Year 2018! and State of the Site

Happy 2018! It's time for another "what's going on" New Year's article.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The back-end of the site generally ran smoothly with a few hiccups (I think we need to do some database optimization), but there were no huge issues that came to mind. And all of this while having significantly more people at the site than ever before. In fact, we hit the highest number of concurrent users on the site we've ever had when tri. Part 4 came out... 650.

Appmon has ended, and tri. is in the home stretch. It keeps feeling like any day we will get an announcement for a release of Appmon in more countries, and with the recent announcement of tri. Parts 4, 5, and 6 getting theatrical releases in the US this year it seems very likely the non-Japanese home video releases may tie up before the year is out also.

That's to say nothing of games. 2017 had Next Order for us and with just a few weeks until release we have Hacker's Memory to look forward to, along with another game already confirmed to be in production.

And as for general products, far to many to go over. Everything from figures, to can badges, to apparel and so forth came out in 2017, and we expect lots more in 2018.

Basically, lots to look forward to, and that's just the stuff we know about thus far.

As for various site bits...

First up, the negative.

No update on the new version of Card Terminal. Truth is, Lost has simply been busy and that's left Card Terminal in the background (especially since there are plenty of places to get decent information on cards nowadays.)

And at some point I need to find time (and to remember) to finish up the tweaks to theigno's userscript for the site. He's to polite to poke at me with a stick to often, and occasionally when we work on it I then get distracted and forget about it.

Then the positives.

First up, time for a new staff member... Airdramon will be helping us with moderation from now on!

We launched our podcast and our Discord in 2017, and both are doing well based on initial hopes. The podcast has a small but loyal audience that shows up to listen to them recorded live with more listening afterwards, and it's been great fun (and a lot of work) to make them, and I look forward to continuing that. The Discord has grown enough that a few extra rooms had to be added to make it work a bit cleaner.

Our Patreon also launched in the last few months and is doing decently. I appreciate anyone who has joined and hope if you are able to you join also to help support the site. Hopefully it'll help us expand where we need to and can support more projects.

If my count is correct, we had over 500 (around 550ish?) articles this year on WtW: news, breakdowns, reviews, etc. That's basically 25%ish of the entire news/article output of the site since I started running it over a decade ago. All the articles are partially based on there just being so much happening with Digimon in 2017. tri., Appmon, 20th Anniversary stuff. It meant stuff was always happening, being announced, etc.

At the moment we are sticking with the current version of vBulletin we have, but we always consider upgrades or moving to new software if/when it'd be advantageous to the fandom.

In addition, we are working on some rule changes and clarifications that still need a bit more polish before they show up, but that shouldn't be to long hopefully.

On top of news articles, there are of course breakdowns and reviews, featuring screencaps, photos, scans, etc. 2016 hit a record for these, with 13 of them, a rather high increase from prior years.

In 2017 (by my count) we had 33. These involved, to differing degrees: scanning, screencapping, editing, rewatching things to write up insights and thoughts, photography, and so forth.

These aren't in chronological order, just ordered in a somewhat clean fashion.

tri. Part 4 Blu-ray
    tri. Part 5 Blu-ray
    tri. Stage Play DVD

Keep On -tri. Version- (tri. Part 4 ED)
    Keep On -tri. Version- (CD/DVD Version) (tri. Part 4 ED)
    Aikotoba Type A CD/DVD (tri. Part 5 ED)
    Aikotoba Type B (tri. Part 5 ED)
    Aikotoba Type C (tri. Part 5 ED)
    Aikotoba Type D (tri. Part 5 ED)
    tri. Character Song Album Chosen Children Version
    tri. Character Song Album Digimon Version

Wada Kouji Digimon Memorial Best -sketch1-
    Wada Kouji Digimon Memorial Best -sketch2-

USA tri. Part 1 Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital
    USA tri. Part 2 Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital
    USA tri. Part 3 Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital

UK tri. Part 1 Blu-ray Collector's Edition
    UK tri. Part 2 Blu-ray Collector's Edition
    German tri. Part 1 Blu-ray Steelbook

Digimon Domez Series 1
    Digimon Plush Minis
    SDCC 2017 Exclusive Digimon Domez Set

Appmon DVD-Box 1
    Appmon DVD-Box 2
    Appmon DVD-Box 3

Appmon Character Songs and Original Soundtrack
    Gatchen (Normal Edition), Appmon OP2 & Insert Song
    Gatchen (Limited Edition), Appmon OP2 & Insert Song
    Lumiere -Angel Edition- (Contains Appmon ED3)
    Perfect World (Appmon Version), Appmon ED4

Appmon Manga Volume 1
    Appmon Manga Volume 2

Hacker's Memory Digimon 20th Anniversary Box and Art Book

You can help us continue to do these by joining our Patreon or donating. There are some real fun things coming up (not to mention the eternal hope of numbers being good enough we can go over legacy content also) that we need donations for.

In addition, there are a lot of people to thank, in no particular order...

Vande- Vande does a lot of the heavy lifting of moderating, which means she also gets a lot of the weight thrown on her when someone gets upset. I daresay I couldn't do it without her.
    Lost- He doesn't get as much credit as he should because 99.9% of what he does is in the background making stuff works. I consider him a good friend... and a colossal pain in the ass.
    theigno and TMS- theigno and TMS have done a good job keeping the site clean from spambots and other issues when me and Vande aren't around. Covering a number of livestreams would be quite a bit harder without theigno.
    Shin and Garm- Articles that require translations are inherently better because of them. I have no doubt shin has sometimes rolled her eyes getting a stack of messages from me, and garm I imagine has checked her email on occasion and wondered why there are a dozen emails from me (things to be translated, more things to be translated, then me telling her I was able to cobble it together myself but needed corrections, etc.)
    Victor- Victor helped me put together the initial ideas for the podcast. Doing the show with him was fun, even if he's unavailable to do that type of show anymore.
    AR- AR provides a unique view on the podcast that very often is opposed to my own. It makes the discussions very fun and worthwhile.
    Airdramon- May jokes that she joined WtW, immediately broke the rules, and got suspended. And now she's staff. Having someone else on the podcast who is interested in random product announcements makes it a bit more fun to discuss them.
    Kai- Kai has went to decent effort to learn how to scan better so he can do scans of various European releases that I don't import due to cash. He's been committed enough that he's been looking at new scanners for awhile.
    Patreon members and donators- You guys help with the costs of running the place and help to make sure we're able to get ahold of a lot of the stuff we break down.

I normally don't do those types of 'thanking' lists, because I'm bad at them, and I'm always sure I've missed someone. But this year had a lot more things happening at the site, and was overall a rougher year.

2015 was a stressful year and I joked that 2016 took that as a challenge.

2017 did it again, so here's the same image yet again.

Hopefully we can all make 2018 better.

And I didn't even get to enjoy Kathy Griffin screwing with Anderson Cooper for New Year's...

2017 was truly a fantastic year for Digimon. More fun stuff than I was able to mention in this post. If 2018 is half as good for Digimon I'd consider it a victory since 2017 was truly packed.

How was 2017 for everyone? Looking forward to 2018? Any suggestions for the site, etc? What Digimon stuff did you enjoy from the prior year?

The promo image of Agumon, Gatchmon, and Zubamon I used near the top was put on Twitter by Bandai, it seemed like the perfect image to use for New Year's.

In case you missed it, there were New Year's well wishes from Digimon Adventure tri. officially:
    Digimon Adventure tri. New Year's Message and Image
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    I think I can safely say as well from the forum, Thank you Marc for all you do for the site. The site would not be here if it wasn't for you.

Thanks to my fellow staff for doing various stuff.

Happy New Year all!

Happy New Year, WtW! You guys have built what is now my favorite and primary Digimon news resource, so thanks for all of your hard work.

WtW as a forum/community has a specific flavor profile that takes some getting used to, but as time has gone on, I've grown more fond of how things are done here and I now wish other communities in various different fandoms could be organized in similar ways. Discussions are not limited but rather guided and monitored appropriately. You all do a great job preventing/eliminating spam, off-topic discussions, and general foolishness that sometimes happens when a bunch of anime/Japanese franchise nerds hang out together (or at least you direct it to the right place). Too often I've found myself in communities that are apathetic about their own forums and even their own franchises/fandoms. WtW continues to act as a good example for other similar communities, and that's no doubt a reflection of the work and effort put into the overall project by everyone involved. Thanks for making the fans feel like we have a home!

Here’s to another great year for Digimon! I really appreciate the news coverage here, it would be way too much to keep up with on my own.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    Happy New Year fellas! It's great to be here on WtW with you guys. Almost feels like a family now. Thanks for being my go-to Digimon news resource and putting up with me all these years. Rock on, my prodigious fam!

Happy New Year! and Congrats on being staff, May!

I've tried to do various things to help out the site, but I'm glad i can at least help donate to the site. I'm glad my contribution is enough to help bring amazing things to the site to be scanned and broken down, to even Marc's expense. (Sorry about your finger bud...)

EDIT: FOrgot to mention. I get to say I'm turning 30 this year. Yikes. (But so are Taichi, Yamato, Sora, and Meiko!)
    Last edited by NekoHaruko; 01-01-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: I needed to tell people how old I am.

Digimon Adventure tri. part 6, Our Future!
    Coming out May 5th, Children's Day!
    [Art by http://dejitarugeeto02.tumblr.com/]

I come from the net
    Yes it's a happy new year. Being one of the only forums I visit, and even post on, I'm glad this is still here. Besides, isn't this the biggest Digimon based place on the internet? (that isn't named Reddit) heh heh Let's hope this year isn't terrible for everyone. And hope that maybe we'll even get a new series after Tri is done.

Happy new year, one and all! Thanks to anybody and everybody who keep this site up and running.

Ain't got no mojo... Poke-Artist's Avatar
    Follow Poke-Artist On Twitter Visit Poke-Artist's Youtube Channel Add Poke-Artist on Steam Add Poke-Artist on DeviantArt Visit Poke-Artist on XBox Live
    This is one of the only forums i visit regularly and it was last year that i got more active on the site (Joined in 2015 made a couple of posts in 2016). I appreciate everything you guys do! I really want to thank you for the Discord Server too, while i don't actively post on the forums, the Discord Server i try to show up daily and chat/listen in to social side of the community. Here's to another year of WiththeWill... i hope i stay active xD

I come from the net
    You know what I noticed we could do this year? Add Gaiamon from Appmon to the banner with all the final forms of the Goggleboy digimon. Just came to me today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast