With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Hurricane Touchdown discussion

I come from the net

General Hurricane Touchdown discussion

No, this isn't a thread debating if movie 3 exist in the tv canon or not since we already have that long running thread. Rather this is about the movie itself. I watched the whole thing from start to finish for the first time and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. In a way I prefer it to Our War Games for being so different (I definitely prefer it to Diablomon's Counterattack which was just so....bland) It's a weird movie. There's a very slow somber feel to it and I don't want to say the music was wrong. I assume the blue grass country jazz was to give it an "American" feel but it was definitely different seeing very slow jazzy music playing against action scenes. The very brief use of Brave Heart and Break Up almost feels out of place.

I also appreciate that the movie had a story it wanted to tell and didn't care about little things like details. Why/How did Chocomon disappear? Eh not important. How are these grade school children traveling from Japan to the middle of America? Eh the story needs them to go there who cares about semantics. Why are Angemon and Angewomon suddenly reaching their highest forms so casually which they've never done before? Stop nitpicking and just enjoy the movie. It's not the most tightly plotted movie but it knows what it wanted to do.

There's also a lot to talk about Wallace and Gumimon (Terriermon). Wallace's va speaks pretty good english! Except when pronouncing his own name as Warrace and pronouncing Digital World as Digitalo Worldo. The handwave that he learned Japanese from a Japanese girlfriend is whatever but it is odd he speaks Japanese to his American mother until the end of the movie. Also why is he calling Terriermon by his baby 2 name? As some point I would think Terriermon would have given him the 411. But even V-Mon calls him Gumimon. It's also interesting that Gumimon speaks exclusively in Japanese even when talking to just Wallace. This raises questions like are all Digimon's native language Japanese? Wouldn't English be its first language since it grew up with Wallace in Colorado and never lived in the digital world? Why did Wallace need a Japanese girlfriend to teach him when his partner speaks it fluently?

On a side not the fansubs I was watching weren't the greatest since it subbed Ultimate as Mega and referred to Chocomon disappearing incorrectly as 3 years ago.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    Well until the whole canonicity debate came up which says that the movie really counts for nothing (something I actually agree with), I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I had my nitpicks here and there too, like Wallace saying, "Dejimental Up" instead of "Digimental Up", but overall I enjoyed it, and I think it's a great movie for the Zero Two nostalgia. As an aside, I think the reason people are having that whole Ophanimon-Holydramon debate in the other thread is because of the Zero Two nostalgia that Hurricane Touchdown provides, something that tri. utterly lacks, but whatever. That's not relevant to this thread.
    Also something I really loved about this movie was the art style which was ever so subtly different from Zero Two. I dunno if other people have noticed it, but yeah, but there was a difference.
    Last edited by Velocifaptor; 12-01-2017 at 05:49 AM. Reason: correcting an egregious error

I loved seeing Galgomon here, especially in its first fight. Wendigomon was amazing, its head is very striking and I love the extending arms and its hidden torso guns that didn't quite seem to make it anywhere outside the movie. It's unfortunate that Adiramon and Cherubimon are so bland next to it.

Add Tero on DeviantArt
    I also noticed the different art style and I like it.

Add KaenKazui on DeviantArt Add KaenKazui on Google+
    It still honestly is my favorite of the Digimon movies. I love the dense, but weird atmosphere and I really enjoyed Wallace and Terriermon as characters.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Nowadays I probably appreciate the movie most for its parallels to Algernon Blackwood's "The Wendigo," but I think it's an interesting movie all around. I really do love Wendimon in general. Interesting that neither Wendimon nor Cherubimon use their signature attacks in the movie (the ones listed on their promo cards). Wendimon uses that bullet attack instead of Destroyed Voice, and Cherubimon doesn't use any of its lightning attacks (Battle Spirit would take this route also, which makes sense since the Cherubimon in that game was Wallace's partner). The music thing was strange, but I can overlook that.

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    On a side not the fansubs I was watching weren't the greatest since it subbed Ultimate as Mega and referred to Chocomon disappearing incorrectly as 3 years ago.
    I think I know which ones you're talking about. There are better ones available for the two parts of the movie.

About the language thing, didn't one of the games explain that Digimon have no specific language, but that they automatically translate human languages into a form they can understand, and vice versa?
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    interesting movie all around
    That’s probably the best way to describe it. I’m not even sure if I would call it a “good movie” but it is very interesting movie. It feels very much not like a Digimon movie while still managing to feel like a Digimon movie at the same time. It’s the most unique and stylistic Digimon film.

I think I know which ones you're talking about. There are better ones available for the two parts of the movie.
    I’ll have to seek out the better subs next time

About the language thing, didn't one of the games explain that Digimon have no specific language, but that they automatically translate human languages into a form they can understand, and vice versa?
    Not sure. That makes it all the weirder Terriermon speaks exclusively in Japanese
    Last edited by DontStopPataPata; 12-01-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    By the way, I'm not sure if I would consider the movie to have a different art style from the show. It's not like the other three Adventure movies where there's a notable difference. Hurricane Touchdown just had a noticeably bigger animation budget than the show, I would think. It doesn't look too different from 02's best-animated episodes (episode 21, etc.).
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I'm going digital
    Well I only recently found out that the digimon movie was originally a collection of short films so I never viewed the stories different and it was connected due to it.

I like the first two films better it just seems like better story telling and there's more investment with these characters since these are the original cast. I found the first two parts to be more emotionally impactful and funny.

That's not to say I didn't find the hurricanes to be enjoyable but the vast majority of the movie is dialogue. I would of liked if we got a real short story with willis when he first got his digimon to be more invested but hurricanes was just a random filler story where not that much happened. Also the threat of cocomon wasn't that high there just wasn't really too much to be invested in but I still liked it.
    Last edited by Kingbeemon; 12-01-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Hurricane Touchdown is just kinda "ehh..." for me. Definitely not the best movie, but not the worst either.

Honestly I kind of just forget it exists. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast