18th Anniversary of X-Evolution

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
xevoposterhq_july26_2020.jpg

It's January 3rd in Japan, so today is the 18th Anniversary of when X-Evolution aired on television!

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

X-Evolution was based on Digimon Chronicle, the mini comic included with the Digimon Pendulum X V-Pets. It's an abridged and altered version of that story, with the most notable change being the removal of any human characters, which is still reasonably rare in Digimon stories.

Originally announced as a full length feature, a press release re-announced it as a TV special a little more than a month before it aired, with only some of the initially announced merchandise.

X-Evolution was directed by Hiroyuki Kakudou, well known to Digimon fans as the director of Adventure and 02.

The screenplay is credited to two writers:
Kazunori Ito, who worked on Dirty Pair, Ghost in the Shell, .hack, Patlabor, Urusei Yatsura, and a number of other well known franchises.
Miu Kawasaki, who worked on .hack (including various novels for the franchise) and Air Master.

Imagi animated X-Evo during their early upswing and it ended up being one of the few bigger projects they did that ended up being released.

While X-Evolution came and went reasonably quickly, it did end up getting a DVD later in 2005, some elements were used in Digimon World 4 (released as Digimon World X in Japan a couple days after X-Evo came out), and while various announced toys didn't ever appear after their initial announcement in a press release, the Digitalize Booster Pack for the Digimon card game had a large number of cards featuring characters from the movie (using their movie CGI renders), and Alphamon continues to get new products with X-Evolution branding, a big one being the Digivolving Spirits figure, plus the recent updated Figuarts and the Amplified model kit.

In addition, Digimon Chronicle, which X-Evolution was based on, got a sequel story to tie into the Digimon X V-Pets. With the US releases of the Digimon X and X2, even this is still relevant.

A few years ago X-Evolution streamed as part of DigiFes 2020 Online. As promotional fodder for that, we finally got a good high quality version of the poster art (embedded above.)

Last year we also got a good number of X-Antibody cards in the Digimon Card Game, including a set focused on them, plus a few new X-Antibody Digimon showing up during the year.

So despite coming and going itself relatively quickly, elements of X-Evolution still pop up a decent amount.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 15,097

Shelly

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love that movie. 😊 I am glad that Dorumon finally is getting some spotlight.

I wonder they are rebooting X-Evolution as a sequel series to Tamers. I could see it will tie-in with Tamers,because I think it makes sense that they had introduced Antibody forms of the Digimon from Tamers.

I known X-Evolution and Digimon Chronicles are a separated series from Tamers,but I always felt they could be a sequel to Tamers to me. Even Digimon Chronicles and X-Evolution have similarities with Tamers.

Hopefully if the next series after Ghost Game will be a X-Evolution/Tamers crossover series, I would be happy. I would love to the series will focus on Jeri's little brother and Dorumon as his partner. Probably they will adapt Digimon Chronicles' storyline in the sequel series.

I hope we will see anime version of Dorumon someday. I think he would be cute like Guilmon. ☺️

Last edited:

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still very much my favourite Digimon movie, as it shows the Mons themselves can carry off a dramatic narrative without the need for a human presence.

Its version of Alphamon is also far superior to the one from Tri.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was some kind of movie. Only one without humans? But X-Mons are interesting. Sometimes they look really nice or fun and different.