With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon Design Process and Production Images, Part 1

Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon Design Process and Production Images, Part 1

With WarGreymon almost out we get something a bit neat...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Tamashii has put up an article with various images and information on the design process for Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon.

Due to time issues we won't be translating the full article at the moment (but hopefully in the future), we're adding what details we can for context.

Part of the decision to start a line like Digivolving Spirits was based on it being the 20th anniversary of Digimon, and evolution being a signature element of the franchise.

The goal was to use modern technology to bring back the Super Evolution series (the Japanese name of Digivolving Spirits translates to Super Evolution Spirit or Soul) as made for collectors.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

These images show the sketch design stage of the process. Artists from PLEX, one of Bandai's design houses (perhaps best known for their work on the Sentai franchise) sketch out the basic elements of the figure.

PLEX designers have taken into account elements from the old Super Evolution figure series. Part of what they wanted was that older fans who remember the original figure would know from memory how to transform WarGreymon. The design was worked on while actually using the original figure for reference.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Comparison of the original figure with the sketch for the new one.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

After sketching, the figure is modeled in 3d.

The left side is the original model, the right side is after Bandai tweaked some fine details. The image on the right is a revised model.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Long time Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe looks over a physical model and images for potential corrections and/or changes to be made. A big priority is the face.

Corrections and notes from Kenji Watanabe on things that need to be fixed.

This is a T1 sample. This is a test figure made from the actual figure mold. Based on how this figure is received, final changes may be made.

This figure is used to find problems, either with the mold, materials, transformation scheme, etc. They make it in unique colors because they aren't judging paint application, but want to be able to look over the materials used to mold the figure very carefully. Defects and potential problems are noted in the photos.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

That's it for part 1 of this behind the scenes look.

Part 2 will feature a sample of the figure in color and looking for more potential issues.

And the sample of the packaging made them cry?!

If you want to order any of the figures announced thus far, they can still be nabbed...
    Pre-orders for #01 WarGreymon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon at Amazon USA

Pre-orders for #02 MetalGarurumon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits MetalGarurumon at Amazon USA
    Digivolving Spirits MetalGarurumon at CDJapan

Pre-orders for #03 Diablomon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits Diablomon at CDJapan
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Red shirt
    Ugh looks so good!

Can't wait to get one! The original toy was one of my favorites even though WarGreymon's face always looked a little weird. Luckily this new one looks spot on.
    Here's a couple photo reviews! The backpack kibble looks a bit big but honestly I don't mind it.
    http://shishioh.info/DIGIVOLVING_SPRITS_WARGREYMON.php
    http://d.hatena.ne.jp/UNOYO/20171110/p1

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphonmon View Post
    Ugh looks so good!

Can't wait to get one! The original toy was one of my favorites even though WarGreymon's face always looked a little weird. Luckily this new one looks spot on.
    Here's a couple photo reviews! The backpack kibble looks a bit big but honestly I don't mind it.
    http://shishioh.info/DIGIVOLVING_SPRITS_WARGREYMON.php
    http://d.hatena.ne.jp/UNOYO/20171110/p1
    Wow, Wargreymon with the horns faced down looks cool!! :P
    Also, when it transforms to Agumon, I felt like Agumon devouring Wargreymon, that was funny xP

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    God damn this thing looks brilliant. The backpack kibble is a bit awkward, but forgivable given the transformation.

I only had the BlackWarGreymon version of this as a kid, and I'm definitely looking forward to this. Even if a part of me regrets preordering it due to a lack of shelf space.

Also, where was Watanabe-san when last year's SH Figuarts WarGreymon was being designed? Not that I'm particularly bothered by the slightly misproportioned head because the figure is fantastic overall, but that could have used his input.

Ain't got no mojo...
    They need to do a MetalGreymon for this line. Only Perfect I need.

I come from the net
    That is interesting to see. Thank a lot. These are always fun to see just how they get it to work.

Yup, the hype is still real. I'm glad they made an effort to have it resemble the old WarGreymon transformer, that was always one of the best.

(dare I hope for a limited edition Black version as well as the clear one? =P)

Part 2 can be found here!
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.