With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: UK tri. Part 2 Blu-ray Collector's Edition Release- Scans, Breakdown, and Overview

UK tri. Part 2 Blu-ray Collector's Edition Release- Scans, Breakdown, and Overview

UK fans had to wait again, but not quite as long as last time...

After the delays waiting for the home video release of tri. Part 1, tri. Part 2 was a much shorter wait for those in the UK (although with the hilarity that they didn't get it right after the US release.)

Recently released on November 6th those in the UK can enjoy tri. Part 2 at their leisure, which is a good thing, since they never got it streaming.

I did some editing on these... and no scanning, because I didn't get the UK release (gotta decide where that money needs to go.) Thanks to forum member Kai, we have these images because he scanned them on his own and shared them to make sure the UK release could get featured, the same way we try and do for media whenever possible. So big thanks to Kai for putting in the time and effort.

Most of what I did here was reorienting, cropping and a minimal amount of color correction (with one or two bits tweaked otherwise.) The scanner used was more meant for scanning documents and further editing likely would have made the final images look worse.

I'm not going to to go over tri. Part 2 itself, but I did in the recent review of the US tri. Part 2 Blu-ray, which you can read here.

The first thing worth mentioning. The UK Blu-ray release does not include a DVD like the US release did. So if you want the release on DVD, you'll need to get the standalone DVD version. The Blu-ray is labeled as a collector's edition, the DVD is not.

The front cover of the collector's edition slipcover (at the top) is the home video cover for tri. Part 2 in Japan. The cover looks very nice overall. The logo placement is quite good, doesn't cover anything important.

The back of the slipcover is very clean.

In a number of ways it feels like this back cover was based off the digital motif used in the Japanese release. While it has a nice overall look, I'm not sure I like the text and screencaps at an angle like that though.

The back also has extras listed, along with various technical specs.

The spine of the slipcover looks nice. The number on the green lines up perfectly with how tri. Part 1 put it's number on it's grey coloring.

The actual BD cover insert itself is basically what you expect, roughly the same as what was used on the slipcover, just in insert form.

And the insert is reversible!

This one uses the theatrical poster from tri. Part 2, and uses different logo placement than the Shout release did. It looks quite nice. Especially nice is that there are far less logos and other required things, since this cover won't ever be consumer facing in stores. The back cover also inverts the colors of the background. It's very nice looking over, and I wouldn't be shocked if many people swap their covers to this version (especially since the main cover is nearly 1:1 to the slipcover.)

The tri. style motif continues to the disc...

The disc looks very nice and clean. It has the various logos on it, but otherwise sticks to the tri. style motif that is used elsewhere in this release (which was originally used in various Japanese tri. releases.)

The release also includes a few physical extras.

These four art cards each uses a different piece of art that'll most likely be familiar to tri. fans. Each looks very nice, and I expect they'll look extra fantastic if anyone decides to frame them.

The other extra is a poster.

The poster is to large to get on a scanner, but Kai took a photo just to show what it looks like. It looks roughly the same as the reversible cover, but with the logo resized a bit (since the poster is much larger) along with the image itself being a bit more vertical (since it doesn't have to fit the height of a BD cover.)

I can't go over the on disk content in detail since I don't have it, but I can go over the few things I do know.

The video is listed as 1080p. I expect that'll be at 24fps, same as the US disc (and quite possibly may be the same encode.)

Audio is listed as being DTS-HD Master Audio, which is lossless. It's listed as having both a 5.1 and 2.0 English track, along with a 2.0 Japanese track. This is different than the US release which had 5.1 Japanese audio (after Part 1 only had 2.0.) In addition, various UKer's have confirmed that the English dub theme is used in it's entirety and does not begin with Butter-Fly and then transition like in Part 1.

It is also listed as having English subtitles.

The on disc extra is listed as the same as on the US release, so I'll include what I said about them in the US review:
    We get another nice behind the scenes extra. This one is a bit under 10 minutes and focuses on the director, Ryan Johnston, and his process in working on tri., his thoughts on how he does his job, along with comments from some actors. While shorter than the nearly 30 minute behind the scenes last time, this one generally feels more focused, and acts as a very good follow up.

Based on the bits they are recording for tri. Parts 2 and 3 during the behind the scenes, I'm going to guess this was filmed concurrently with the extra from last time.

That's it for this one. The UK release was a reasonable wait for people, but it appears to be a pretty good one that is roughly equivalent to what we got in the USA. If you prefer art cards, a reversible cover, and a poster, the UK one is better. If you prefer a DVD and digital copy the US one is better. I think there are likely arguments to be made about either one.

Big thanks again to Kai for the scans, which can be found in our gallery.

If you have any questions about the release feel free to ask, we have quite a few members from the UK and I'm sure they'd be willing to answer questions from those of you trying to decide if you should buy the release.

If I'm able to in the future I will attempt to get ahold of a copy of the disc to expand the breakdown, similiar to what I would normally do.

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the Blu-ray or tri.

Amazon UK pages to order (not affiliate links)
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 BD Collector's Edition
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 DVD

Those in the USA will of course want to get that release (Affiliate links)
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 DVD

Our friends in Australia will be getting tri. Part 2 in February 2018 and details about that can be found here.

tri. Part 3 is also coming out on December 26th in the UK and we have information about that here.

The breakdown/scans/screenshots of the USA Blu-ray/DVD/Digital release can be found here.

Images are hosted on our gallery and embedded on the forum, so let us know if anything is acting up.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Visit Tsurugi's Youtube Channel
    Question: for any one that has it in the UK, do they handle the opening song the same way as the 1st movie? As in start with Japanese theme then transition to English theme? Or do they fully play either song?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsurugi View Post
    Question: for any one that has it in the UK, do they handle the opening song the same way as the 1st movie? As in start with Japanese theme then transition to English theme? Or do they fully play either song?
    It helps to read the breakdown before posting since that's answered.

Expanded the description a touch regardless.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Visit Tsurugi's Youtube Channel
    Ah sorry, didn't see that at first.

Odd, the Amazon Blu-Ray Release describes it as 1-Disc version, which implies it may have originally come with two.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post
    Odd, the Amazon Blu-Ray Release describes it as 1-Disc version, which implies it may have originally come with two.
    Nearly all Amazon listings have number of discs, it's rather standard.