With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Digimon ERC Championship

Huh, I had no idea what this was due to the title of the thread. If you're just starting some kind of contest, you should probably not abbreviate it for the first time...

Anyway, it looks fun, maybe I'll-
    Quote Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
    1 - (from Baby I to
    Ew, babies.
    2 - You are not allowed to use any Appmon in any of your lines.
    How arbitrary.

Well, I guess I won't be entering, but I suppose it'll be interesting to see what others come up with.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

I come from the net
    Add The Golux on Steam
    Presumably there might be different rules for further ones if this one does well.

Banned
    Jay Ukyou: Appmon are not allowed in the contest because they're not Digimon. You're obviously not allowed to use Gennai, Digignomes, Appmon, Takeru's dad or any being which is not a Digimon in your evolution lines.

The Golux: There will be different rulesets. At the moment, the 10x6 & 1 use per species ruleset is merely what I considered the best initial ruleset to kick things off. In the future, there may be a contests where you have to make a line for each of the 10 ancient heroes, or you may have to make 5 step evolution lines (like Digimon Story DS) and we may even attempt a 8x6 format someday, due to the 10x6 format obviously making it quite hard for a lot of the participants to stay consistent. We may even try to hold a contest that will be decided by public poll someday, but it's a bad idea IMO, which is why I won't take that risk here with the first championship Let it be clear to everyone: This is gonna be a community-ruled event. It is gonna grow beyond me. At the time we're done with the third championship, I think people will be so used to these things that it will be easy for all of you to start one championship after another, without me even being involved in the proces. And that's good. I like to start things, not to run things. In the future, I would even like to participate myself

Quote Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
    Jay Ukyou: Appmon are not allowed in the contest because they're not Digimon. You're obviously not allowed to use Gennai, Digignomes, Appmon, Takeru's dad or any being which is not a Digimon in your evolution lines.
    Appmon may have a few properties different from Digimon, but that's a huge leap of logic to say that Appmon are just as different from Digimon as Takeru's dad. Particularly when Appmon fit the mold of Digimon better than a good portion of the monsters in Frontier, Xros Wars, Hunters, and the early-franchise media like C'mon Digimon. Appmon at least have levels, discernible evolution paths, aren't some kind of human hybrid, and are arguably more digital in nature than many so-called Digital Monsters from those seasons. That's not even getting into how we have characters like Hackmon, who is just a redesigned version of his Digimon counterpart. Or how we have seen Appmon and Digimon side-by-side in the card games, chips, and anime.

This all-encompassing headcanon that Appmon-aren't-Digimon passed off as fact just reeks of elitism. If you don't want Appmon mixing in your Digimon lines, just say so. Don't try to disguise it as some kind of natural way of thinking that everyone should 'obviously' follow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    This all-encompassing headcanon that Appmon-aren't-Digimon passed off as fact just reeks of elitism. If you don't want Appmon mixing in your Digimon lines, just say so. Don't try to disguise it as some kind of natural way of thinking that everyone should 'obviously' follow.
    Since no official media has declared Appmon to be Digimon, then they only count as Digimon in fanfictions and stuff. In other words, declaring Appmon to be Digimon is actually to go by someone's headcanon and I can't let someone's fanfiction or headcanon dictate this competition. In that sense, then no, they're no different from Takeru's dad (except that they're digital) and they're even less different from Gennai and the Digignomes, since those non-Digimon also are digital, lol.

It's no secret that I don't like to see Appmon in evolution lines, though. I hope you understand my decision now
    Last edited by Marwan; 11-15-2017 at 09:41 AM.

It's extremely reductive to state that you can deduce the exact nature of the relationship between Digimon and Appmon from the -lack- of information you have. Appmon could easily be a kind of subset or evolution of Digimon. The word "Digimon" is even right there in the title of the series.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    It's extremely reductive to state that you can deduce the exact nature of the relationship between Digimon and Appmon from the -lack- of information you have. Appmon could easily be a kind of subset or evolution of Digimon. The word "Digimon" is even right there in the title of the series.
    I'm not really stating anything. I'm just telling you that Appmon are not Digimon and that's just the way it is, until Bandai decides that Appmon should become Digimon. I don't know if there will be a new movie in which Yamato commits suicide, for example, but until that movie happens, it remains fanfiction, just like in this case, and I certainly won't call anyone reductive if they state that Yamato is not suicidal (because he simply isn't, until it's official).

Do you understand me now? I want this contest to be about Digimon only It's not that I hate Appmon or anything, it's a cool concept. I also like Pokémon. They just don't belong in Digimon evolution lines.

Your hyperbolic examples aren't helping your case. Plotbeats about Yamato committing suicide are not part of this discussion on the nature of the franchise itself. Whether you like Appmon or not is only part of the discussion because you can't just admit that your preference is what is dictating the rule set you made, for whatever reason.

There is room to make an argument that Appmon have differences from the characters from the original series of Digimon. But there are examples of Digimon and Appmon being treated as equivalent. For one, n the card games and the appmon chips, we have notable examples of Digimon being treated as Appmon. We also see Haru and Gatchmon being featured prominently right alongside Taichi and the others on the -Digimon- anniversary merchandise. The very concept of Appmon itself is literally just Digimon with a new coat of paint, just like literally every season of Digimon since Tamers.

There is no reason to assume that Appmon is any different from Xros Wars apart from the fact that the word Digimon is never explicitly stated by the characters. But if that's the criterion you're following, then you should follow it more strictly. None of the Xros Wars Digimon are ever stated to have a specific level in their home series, but you're extrapolating that they can be fit into the Level System. If you can extrapolate that, then why can't you extrapolate that Appmon Hackmon is analogous to Digimon Hackmon? It's your personal preference, not some objective fact where your statement is 'true' and anything else is 'fanfiction'.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt
    Ok you two, this has gone far enough.

I don't agree with how this is being judged or the fact Appmon is being outcast for the lol worthy 'not Digimon' argument. Judges should be independent and not share their current thoughts on the lines. This should only happen once all lines are in so that it isn't skewered.

Any further issues and the thread is going to be closed and this will not run.

Banned
    Important announcement to all participants and fans in the ERC:
    Due to circumstances that I will not go into details with in public, we hereby close the entry period, meaning that there will be no more participants than the current 10, who are:
    Alpha-Crimson, Gigamon23, IamTheSovereign, Lord Bearmon, MasterOfTartarus, McGann, Sedecim, The Golux, Vaioumon, Xadhoom

2 of the 3 judges (me and Lord Archfiend Kliff) are done with our scorecards and we are currently awaiting the last scorecard to be finished.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are nearing the end of our very first ERC championship and the excitement is almost too much to bear! Who will be the first ERC champion in history!? Soon, the score will be settled, once and for all, and a new champion will walk among humanity!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast