With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 233031323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 337

Thread: The "Lost" Digimon

  1. #321
    I'm a Maniac
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    California
    Age
    32
    Posts
    124
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Hawk View Post
    Pipimon (Even it got profile but never made in any newer games)
    Yeah, I don't get what Pipimon's deal is. They suddenly brought it in for the ending to 02 and..... that was it. Some source or other apparently confirmed its level to be BabyI and its attack to be Acid Bubbles shortly after its debut, and it makes a few background appearances in later anime, but otherwise, they don't do anything with it, and its more recently added Digimon Reference Book profile gives a very short blurb that mostly relates to its 02 role. Was it involved in some kind of Japanese design contest or something? I know on the English-speaking side of things, its dub name Datirimon was decided through a contest..... though even if Pipimon itself were the result of a contest, I don't see how that should keep it from being involved in more media (considering Cyberdramon, among other fairly prominent Digimon, started out as fan creations).

    Incidentally, I think Chapmon would make a fitting evolution for it. Not like Chapmon seems to have a "canon" pre-evolution, considering it was made after the franchise stopped tying every BabyII strictly to a respective BabyI. Plus, the two look oddly similar (whether it was intended, or if this design for a kappa-like Pukamon just somehow turned out that way, I'm not sure).

  2. #322
    Do we consider TafaPandamon as a canon digimon? He was supposed to debut in a chinese manga but got cancelled due to copyright issues of the human characters. He looked pretty cool though as the Ultimate/Mega level of Pandamon.


  3. #323
    Super Moderator Theigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Yeah, I don't get what Pipimon's deal is.
    Pipimon is a baby Digimon with no obvious evolutions attached to it... there doesn't need to be any other reason.
    There tend to be three types of baby Digimon... the standard ones that are as famous as baby Digimon are ever going to get like Botamon, Koromon and Tsunomon, the generically "themed" babies that are handy to include for Digimon of certain fields, like Pagumon for dark type Digimon, Caprimon for metal empire, and Otamamon for your standard water monsters. Then there are Digimon that were specifically designed for a certain evolution line, like Dodomon, Gigimon, Petitmon and so on... and the only reason they tend to show up in anything is because their higher forms are featured in the same media. And even at that point that translates to very little exposure. You mentioned Chapmon but what has he appeared in recently? Nothing much at all. Petitmon... pretty much no appearances either.
    And why? because there is no incentive to add more baby Digimon to anything. There is little use for them in narrative driven media outside of cute background decoration.
    In games baby Digimon are useful for the first half hour and then you move on. And there's no "pressure" to fill up the rosters with babies. With higher level Digimon you have the factor of people wanting to see a design in 3D, wanting to see how a certain attack will be visualized, stuff like that. No one cares to see a green blob in 3D and everyone knows what a bunch of bubbles looks like. So the logical thing to do always was to only include as much babies as the game absolutely needed plus a few that people expect to round off certain evolines. And Pipimon simply is the pinnacle of pointlessness in that regard. Sure, you could have a few plant type Digimon evolve from him. But why would it get added to any game when more prominent plant-like Babies like Tanemon, Pyocomon, Leafmon or even Budmon exist that people actually recognize?
    So yeah, it's pretty understandable that it's not used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    the ideal situation is just they keep the 341 hackers memory (or 336 without the NX forms) and add to them for the next 10+ years.
    That would be a nightmare of a situation. We're talking about models that looked "kinda nice" on the PS Vita four years ago. The only reason to celebrate them was because the models of previous Digimon games looked pretty crappy compared to what was featured in other games of the same generation. Point is, you put those models on the big screen and many of them (mostly the ones originating from the Adventure PSP game) already look somewhat dated... and in a few years they will look like a complete joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    (and I guess some people will want the x forms and recolours from links/dwno thrown in as well)
    It's the other way around... Those X-forms and some of the more Linkz/HM additions are the models for which a clear possibility exists, that perhaps they were based on sculpts that were future proofed enough to be used for a while. It's the future of all the other models we should be skeptical of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Plus I feel like it's "taunting" in a way. "ha, your fave isn't playable, enjoy this medal. thats all you get of him."
    Still better that than nothing.
    Last edited by Theigno; 07-06-2019 at 02:26 AM.

  4. #324
    I come from the net
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Incidentally, I think Chapmon would make a fitting evolution for it. Not like Chapmon seems to have a "canon" pre-evolution, considering it was made after the franchise stopped tying every BabyII strictly to a respective BabyI. Plus, the two look oddly similar (whether it was intended, or if this design for a kappa-like Pukamon just somehow turned out that way, I'm not sure).
    I felt like Chapmon could have a new Baby I form and they are perfect for only Lake/river environments before evolving to adapt by going into the ocean but Pitchmon/Pukamon are pretty much for anything involved with open ocean/water.... And Pipimon's evo line could be... Unpredictable. For example Adventure digimon babies I and II doesn't match up to each others in their own evo.

    Lost V-Tamer Hermmon, Panimon and Lykamon needs epic comeback...

  5. #325
    I'm a Maniac
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    California
    Age
    32
    Posts
    124
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Yeah, I don't get what Pipimon's deal is.
    Pipimon is a baby Digimon with no obvious evolutions attached to it... there doesn't need to be any other reason.
    There tend to be three types of baby Digimon... the standard ones that are as famous as baby Digimon are ever going to get like Botamon, Koromon and Tsunomon, the generically "themed" babies that are handy to include for Digimon of certain fields, like Pagumon for dark type Digimon, Caprimon for metal empire, and Otamamon for your standard water monsters. Then there are Digimon that were specifically designed for a certain evolution line, like Dodomon, Gigimon, Petitmon and so on... and the only reason they tend to show up in anything is because their higher forms are featured in the same media. And even at that point that translates to very little exposure. You mentioned Chapmon but what has he appeared in recently? Nothing much at all. Petitmon... pretty much no appearances either.
    And why? because there is no incentive to add more baby Digimon to anything. There is little use for them in narrative driven media outside of cute background decoration.
    In games baby Digimon are useful for the first half hour and then you move on. And there's no "pressure" to fill up the rosters with babies. With higher level Digimon you have the factor of people wanting to see a design in 3D, wanting to see how a certain attack will be visualized, stuff like that. No one cares to see a green blob in 3D and everyone knows what a bunch of bubbles looks like. So the logical thing to do always was to only include as much babies as the game absolutely needed plus a few that people expect to round off certain evolines. And Pipimon simply is the pinnacle of pointlessness in that regard. Sure, you could have a few plant type Digimon evolve from him. But why would it get added to any game when more prominent plant-like Babies like Tanemon, Pyocomon, Leafmon or even Budmon exist that people actually recognize?
    So yeah, it's pretty understandable that it's not used.
    And yet they just brought back Kiimon and Tokomon X, and Hacker's Memory included the Baby form of Arcadimon (albeit along with the rest of the line). I mean, yeah, I get that Baby Digimon are mostly pointless, primarily being a relic of the franchise's V-pet days (and even then, having TWO Baby levels might've been excessive). Still, they are pretty cute if nothing else (and in RPGs, it's kinda funny getting them to a high enough level to do some damage), so it's nice just to see them utilized at all rather than be completely dumped like they were in the card game and Digimon World 2 and 3 (or the anime for that matter, where Child is almost always treated as the default form in spite of temporary evolutions).

    For whatever it's worth, they did manage to keep the total number of them rather low, mainly due to restricting them to just one BabyI (and often just one BabyII) per V-pet release, as they've been doing since the franchise's beginning. Though I will admit, they did bring in a LOT of clutter by including Baby forms in the D-3 and other Digivice toys, despite being completely pointless in them. I guess they just wanted to continue the trend by tying their yearly anime mascots to a Baby line simply for the sake of it (which seems really similar to how baby Pokemon were introduced for a time, a pre-evolution being made just for the sake of evolving into an already extent monster rather than the other way around, kinda putting the cart before the horse). Even that eased up a bit by Savers when they stopped making a BabyI to go with each BabyII, though with Meicoomon, they seem to have once again gone back to making pointless pre-evolutions (or not? Guess it depends on whether those are confirmed to be actual Digimon, or just a stylized Nyaromon and Plotmon).

  6. #326
    I come from the net flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Hawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Incidentally, I think Chapmon would make a fitting evolution for it. Not like Chapmon seems to have a "canon" pre-evolution, considering it was made after the franchise stopped tying every BabyII strictly to a respective BabyI. Plus, the two look oddly similar (whether it was intended, or if this design for a kappa-like Pukamon just somehow turned out that way, I'm not sure).
    I felt like Chapmon could have a new Baby I form and they are perfect for only Lake/river environments before evolving to adapt by going into the ocean but Pitchmon/Pukamon are pretty much for anything involved with open ocean/water.... And Pipimon's evo line could be... Unpredictable. For example Adventure digimon babies I and II doesn't match up to each others in their own evo.

    Lost V-Tamer Hermmon, Panimon and Lykamon needs epic comeback...


    I think they probably meant for Chapmon to evolve from Pitchmon. Wikimon lists this song as their name meaning, not sure how true it is. https://www.mamalisa.com/?p=831&t=es&c=85

    No Savers baby actually had a Baby 1.


    I'm sure we would have seen Pipimon again if we got a direct sequel to Adventure 02 back then. I'm expecting the next X vpet to give us another baby that didnt get Kenji Watanabe art since we got Tokomon X and Impmon's babies but I'm not sure what else there was.


    I was thinking, they're not really digimon but we'll probably never see the Dreaper, Digignomes, Eaters, Erasers and other non Digimon Digital entities ever again. Which is kind of sad. Neo did appear in the 20th Pendulum somehow though so who knows.

  7. #327
    Ain't got no mojo... DudeMon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    10
    can we see DarkKnightmon+SkullGrey+SkullSata again? awesome but only appear for a couple minutes

    also love PanBachimon in Disc Zone ( Xros Wars)
    Atsumaru Kokoro wa Tatakau Tsuyosa ni Naru Yo!

  8. #328
    I'm going digital Tortoiseshel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    473
    Baby Digimon may not have much "mechanical" purpose per se, but their presence does make the world of Digimon feel a little bit more "alive" in my opinion, so I like seeing them appear in more official media.

    And I like Pipimon as a Budmon pre-evo.

    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I'm sure we would have seen Pipimon again if we got a direct sequel to Adventure 02 back then. I'm expecting the next X vpet to give us another baby that didnt get Kenji Watanabe art since we got Tokomon X and Impmon's babies but I'm not sure what else there was.
    I think the only ones left are Ketomon and Hopmon, Monodramon's baby forms.
    Last edited by Tortoiseshel; 07-06-2019 at 02:09 PM.

  9. #329
    I'm a Maniac
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    California
    Age
    32
    Posts
    124
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I was thinking, they're not really digimon but we'll probably never see the Dreaper, Digignomes, Eaters, Erasers and other non Digimon Digital entities ever again. Which is kind of sad. Neo did appear in the 20th Pendulum somehow though so who knows.
    N.E.O. has a profile in the Digimon Reference Book. It and Yggdrasil_7D6 are, at least to my recollection, the only non-Digimon on there. This probably (and in Yggdrasil's case, most likely) means that they are going to continue getting appearances in future media, and maybe even be made playable somehow (though I can't picture Yggdrasil evolving from any Digimon). The Agent D-Reapers were notably playable in the card game, but yeah, they really haven't been seen ever since, which is a bit of a shame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoiseshel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I'm sure we would have seen Pipimon again if we got a direct sequel to Adventure 02 back then. I'm expecting the next X vpet to give us another baby that didnt get Kenji Watanabe art since we got Tokomon X and Impmon's babies but I'm not sure what else there was.
    I think the only ones left are Ketomon and Hopmon, Monodramon's baby forms.
    Ketomon and Hopmon, as well as the aforementioned Pipimon, Meicoomon's Nyaromon recolor, and TorikaraBallmon. I think I've also seen some claims that attack-based Digimon like Kodokugumon, ChibiKiwimon, and Fujitsumon are at the BabyI/II level, but until they're confirmed to stand out as their own species, I'd put them aside for now (Kodokugumon do make a solo appearance in Xros Wars, but..... it's Xros Wars). 'Course, in terms of Digimon that need a 3D model for recent games, there's still quite a few left to go.

  10. #330
    I come from the net Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,334
    Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I was thinking, they're not really digimon but we'll probably never see the Dreaper, Digignomes, Eaters, Erasers and other non Digimon Digital entities ever again. Which is kind of sad. Neo did appear in the 20th Pendulum somehow though so who knows.
    N.E.O. has a profile in the Digimon Reference Book. It and Yggdrasil_7D6 are, at least to my recollection, the only non-Digimon on there. This probably (and in Yggdrasil's case, most likely) means that they are going to continue getting appearances in future media, and maybe even be made playable somehow (though I can't picture Yggdrasil evolving from any Digimon). The Agent D-Reapers were notably playable in the card game, but yeah, they really haven't been seen ever since, which is a bit of a shame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoiseshel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I'm sure we would have seen Pipimon again if we got a direct sequel to Adventure 02 back then. I'm expecting the next X vpet to give us another baby that didnt get Kenji Watanabe art since we got Tokomon X and Impmon's babies but I'm not sure what else there was.
    I think the only ones left are Ketomon and Hopmon, Monodramon's baby forms.
    Ketomon and Hopmon, as well as the aforementioned Pipimon, Meicoomon's Nyaromon recolor, and TorikaraBallmon. I think I've also seen some claims that attack-based Digimon like Kodokugumon, ChibiKiwimon, and Fujitsumon are at the BabyI/II level, but until they're confirmed to stand out as their own species, I'd put them aside for now (Kodokugumon do make a solo appearance in Xros Wars, but..... it's Xros Wars). 'Course, in terms of Digimon that need a 3D model for recent games, there's still quite a few left to go.
    KoDokugumon is playable in Soul Chaser, as a Baby 2, evolving from Leafmon, though it does skip right to the champion form of DoKugumon. (and then when they deleted everything and started again, they then removed levels completely though kept Kodokugumon in. In the original, it was specifically shown going from baby 2 -> champion, skipping rookie, whilst the current version shows it as a four part evolution line of Leafmon -> Ko -> Doko -> Arukenimon, with no levels).

    As for Yggy and NEO, Yggy is specifically stated in the DRB to be a Mega level Digimon. Keep in mind the 7D6 avatars are separate from the actual Yggydrasil himself.

    So it's Yggy -> Digital Lifeform. 7D6 -> Digimon. (there are even mulitples, you kill a bunch in Cyber Sleuth)

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 233031323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •