With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: What is the general view of the Digimon seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Iím not at home right now, so I canít check, but I bet that none of the 02 partners who got Analyzer screens were Free instead of a normal Attribute.
    From what I can see the 02 version of the Digimon Analyzer screens don't show any information about attributes at all.
    Looking through other resources, the 02 Illustrated Guide Books list their attributes as "free" but then again they do that for Tailmon as well who was explicitly identified as Vaccine in Adventure.

Red shirt
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Yeah, but in the D-3 toys, ALL of the main Digimon were Free, even Patamon and Tailmon despite being previously established.

So far as I can tell, the card game seems to be the first instance of all the 02 Digimon being assigned attributes. They probably did this rather than making them Free because they didn't wanna complicate the established system (though funnily enough, there are cards of these Digimon with alternate attributes, with flavor text specifically referring to the fact, like Data Imperialdramon and Vaccine Wormmon). Similarly, they also made all Armor forms Level IV, the same as Adults. Though they sure changed their mind when Frontier rolled around (both the Variable attribute and the Hybrid level were acknowledged in the card game). Amusingly, BanchoStingmon (a Free) would appear in the card game as a Variable, and now the Hybrids are confirmed as having the Free attribute in Hacker's Memory, so the two attributes might be interchangeable (though in HM's case, Free is sorta used to cover all miscellaneous attributes anyway).

Speaking of which, I wonder if this is why the first Togemon card was a Virus attribute. Togemon debuted in the anime, which didn't make the main Digimon's attributes very explicit (due to the Child and Adult forms not having Digimon Analyzer screens). Aside from the card game, the only other media I think it would go on to appear in closely afterwards was Digimon Pendulum 4.5, which wouldn't be out for a while (though it was properly established as a Data there). So I'm guessing whoever's in charge of the card game just made up an attribute on the spot, much like with the 02 Digimon.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Free and Variable being interchangeable makes some sense. They both just mean that the Digimonís Attribute can change (though for differing reasons).

The Diablomon line (usually Unknown type, IIRC) is also Free in CS, so that would imply that anything that's not Data/Virus/Vaccine is lumped together as Free (as it should be).
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

I know Variable is officially defined as "Changes to match the attribute of the opponent Digimon" but has it ever officially been stated what Free is/does? It hasn't showed up in the TCG if I remember correctly, and that's the one place attributes tend to matter most, but are there any examples from like, the virtual pets to help give an idea?

I'm going digital
    what I know is that Paildramon is a jogress bcos XVmon's Vaccine attribute is more dominant, hence it's Vaccine. Dinobeemon on the other hand is a jogress where Stingmon's Virus attribute is more dominant, hence Dinobeemon itself is a Virus one.

Usually "free" attributes only prevail for Baby digimon AFAIK.

Red shirt
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Paildramon's usually a Data, actually. And Baby Digimon mostly never had attributes (with some exceptions; they're all Data in Digimon World, likely because they HAD to have one attribute and Data seemed the most neutral, and Pagumon's sometimes shown as a Virus like in Adventure's Analyzer screen). They only got Free in Cyber Sleuth because, again, Free seems to cover all the non-standard attributes in that game.

But let's not continue steering this thread off-topic. I happened to make a thread about attributes not too long ago here.
    https://withthewill.net/threads/1861...017#post326017

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314