With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Thread: What is the general view of the Digimon seasons?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
    Let's all be honest here... There is not much like "realistic behaviour" in Digimon, the psychology is so close to the rock bottom as possible and the characters are flat. If anyone thinks that Digimon contains deep characters with deep personalities, then they seriously need to watch some mature television, such as Breaking Bad.

Currently, I'm watching "the Walking Dead" and notice how much depth and dynamic there is to the rivalry between Shane and Rick. Both are right in their own ways and both are wrong in their own ways, you feel for both of them, they have realistic opinions that all of us would have in that situation. We FEEL them. That's just a small part of the series and it's already deeper than anything in all of the Digimon seasons combined...
    Ugh... I'm not "That" Tamers Fan. I don't have some kind of illusion that Digimon is a masterpiece of literature. It's very much a relative thing. Tamers makes the attempt at more realistic characterization. The development is more focused and cohesive. Each of the four main kids in particular have their development reflected in their relationship with their Digimon, and then further explored by how they relate to their families later on in the season. It's a less meandering version of what Adventure did, and it was helped by how their Digimon partners actually had some semblance of personality.

There doesn't need to be some kind of deep psychological reason for why the kids act the way they do. Their personalities clearly all follow an archetypal outline and their reactions are dictated by that. But in the context of the fantastical setting, their feelings and reactions seems pretty logical. And when they -don't- seem logical is when you actually get a glimpse of each character's 'personality beyond their archetype'.

I don't see how this constitutes 'unrealistic'. Is it unrealistic because it's not deep enough? I mean, not every action needs a super-deep motivation to reflect reality. Juri is sad because Leomon died. Juri is REALLY sad because she's already experienced a death in her family before. Juri's reaction is to ask that more people don't die, and she remains depressed for a long time after that. Not sure why that doesn't seem realistic. And it seems deep enough to depict it as an important defining feature of her character. The show goes on to explore it by having a literal cold unfeeling embodiment of death/deletion hanging over her for the rest of the show.
    Personally, I just see Digimon as braindead entertainment. I like it because there are a lot of cool monsters, I like that the main characters travel to a lot of different places and the show is very creative with its settings. The stories are not deep, but good enough reason for the cool battles and journies to happen and I like how the Digimon seasons are different universes most of the time, that gives some structure to the stories, unlike Pokémon which goes on and on with no end to the story in sight...

I'm going digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
    Let's all be honest here... There is not much like "realistic behaviour" in Digimon, the psychology is so close to the rock bottom as possible and the characters are flat. If anyone thinks that Digimon contains deep characters with deep personalities, then they seriously need to watch some mature television, such as Breaking Bad.

Currently, I'm watching "the Walking Dead" and notice how much depth and dynamic there is to the rivalry between Shane and Rick. Both are right in their own ways and both are wrong in their own ways, you feel for both of them, they have realistic opinions that all of us would have in that situation. We FEEL them. That's just a small part of the series and it's already deeper than anything in all of the Digimon seasons combined...
    Probably bcos you're watching a TV shows which consists only adults. And well, being mature doesn't mean that it must have "all adult" characters, nope. Your comment inclines that digimon is just shows about monsters, but isn't about the characters. If that so, then you're wrong.

"Psychology is so close to the rock bottom as possible and the characters are flat."
    I guess you need to elaborate that statement, really. I guess you take the words "realistic" and "psychology" in digimon too overwhelmed that it seems that you got fed up and ended brought down the digimon series about characterization aspect. Also bringing some live action TV shows to be comparison with PG-rated anime series is a serious out of topic, I think.

Red shirt
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post
    If you're saying about the virus digimon, Guilmon was once a digimon that still have its "wilderness" instinct. And then in adv or 02, not all virus are bad, for example Ogremon and Wormmon. So I think it's only about angelic and demonic digimon as there are nothing in adv or 02 which depict demon as good guys or angel as bad guys.
    Don't forget Otamamon and Gekomon. They tend to get portrayed as pretty friendly Digimon despite being Viruses (TonosamaGekomon's more of a mixed bag, but amusingly enough, one was portrayed as a high-ranking member of Holy Angel Castle in the V-Tamer manga before the anime even aired, albeit one of the more irritable members there). And on the other side of the spectrum, the Vaccines Snimon and Mammon are frequently portrayed as bad guys.

Incidentally, this is another thing I like about Tamers that I don't think it gets enough credit for: the main character's Digimon is a Virus. Within the context of the Digimon meta, this seems pretty unprecedented, and it's still done very infrequently (granted, Wormmon kinda became the co-starring Digimon in 02, but nowadays, it seems to be portrayed with the D-3 toys' Free attribute like all the other 02 protagonists, and 02 itself never explicitly confirmed Wormmon's attribute, at least not to my recollection).

Also, by having the final enemy not even being a Digimon, it kinda helps with the idea that any Digimon is capable of being good or bad regardless of attribute, which sticks more closely to the original V-pet concept (where literally any Digimon is capable of being tamed by a human and thus working under that human's will). Sadly, the presence of Megidramon as a "wrong" evolution did put a bit of a damper on this, but it does rather amuse me that Dukemon retains the Virus attribute even despite becoming a holy knight. Also, Beelzebumon didn't exactly turn into some "nice guy" look when he did a heel-face turn. Sure, the red eyes turned green, which does make him look more calm-minded up close, but if you ask me, the fallen angel wings and big friggin' cannon serve to make him seem even more intimidating overall.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 11-13-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I just finished "reading" through the Digimon Tamers manhua, and I think the D-Reaper arc's critics would have fun checking it out, since it fixes just about all their complaints about it. For one thing, it's short, with the D-Reaper being defeated the same day it shows up in the Real World. The adult characters, such as the Wild Bunch (only Shibumi and Jenrya's dad appear in the manhua) have a very minimal role, with the D-Reaper being apparently destroyed by Dukemon Crimson Mode. We don't see much of Juri or anything of her background, Alice doesn't appear, and Ryo was apparently left behind in the Digital World.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    and Ryo was apparently left behind in the Digital World.
    Best series.

Wow... that sounds super-boring.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

I'm going digital
    how about Ai and Makoto?

anw I think not having Ryo is something good as it's my most complaint against Tamers anime. But hearing from you, TMS, the manhua seems super boring with straightforward plot, just like probably every Digimon Manhua existed.
    Last edited by DATS24; 11-14-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Surprisingly, Impmon, Ai, and Makoto actually get a chapter to themselves that leads up to Beelzebumon Blast Mode's appearance. It's one of the few instances of the manhua adaptations almost taking their time with something.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Speaking of Wormmon, does the idea of Ken's Wormmon having a virus attribute originate from the show itself, or from other Digimon media from around the same time? I assume people got this idea from the card game, where almost every single Wormmon card is virus attribute, but I never see people saying 02 V-mon is a vaccine attribute Digimon even though it has a similar situation with the card game. Is it just that no one talks about it because the protagonist having a vaccine attribute Digimon is nowhere near as interesting as the first major virus partner Digimon?

I personally prefer the idea of Hawkmon, Armadimon, V-mon, and Wormmon being Free attribute myself, but it doesn't really matter, haha.

I’m not at home right now, so I can’t check, but I bet that none of the 02 partners who got Analyzer screens were Free instead of a normal Attribute.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast