With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the general view of the Digimon seasons?

Ain't got no mojo...

What is the general view of the Digimon seasons?

I have heard people say that only the first 3 seasons are good and so on.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    I like all the series I've seen though they all have their flaws.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Ain't got no mojo...
    For me personally:

Tamers>Savers>Appmon>Adventure>Xros Wars>Adventure 02>Adventure Tri>XW Hunters>Frontier

Frontier is the only one I didn't like. No Digimon partners was a big no-no so even though XW Hunters was pretty much all filler until the last 4 episodes I still enjoyed it more than Frontier.
    Last edited by FeroS; 10-25-2017 at 04:50 AM.

I'm a Maniac
    I like the first two for nostalgia and they will always have a special place for me but my favorites frontier.

I like tamers as well but after savers they started to go away from what made digimon and what people love which they need to get back to.

Add KaenKazui on Google+ Follow KaenKazui on DeviantArt
    Me personally
    Tamers>Appmon>Savers>Frontier>02>Hunters>Adventure >tri.>Xros Wars

But I am an outlier with ranking Adventure so low. As somebody who really has not much Nostalgia for anything there is really not much for me in Adventure to like. But most love it to death because of nostalgia. *shrugs*

I am also an outlier with somewhat liking Hunters in the sense that I found it enjoyable enough to watch it on an episode to episode basis. Nothing I would binge, but the single episodes in of itself are entertaining enough for me to like. There is just not a lot going on in terms of plot or character development.

A lot of people stopped watching after Tamers, because they could not get behind the lack of partners in Frontier, then bashed the new design in Savers and Xros Wars ... Well, it was Xros Wars. Most didn't even give Appmon a chance.

Ain't got no mojo... Pizza Splitter's Avatar
    Iím like 50% sure the ones saying only the first 3 are good are just a loud minority. I mean I watched 02 and honestly I found that to be one of the worst seasons. Not the worst thing ever but itís nowhere near as good as some try to make it out to be. Maybe itís just nostalgia stuff?
    Personally I like all of them except for hunters. Tri is kinda heading the same way as 02 for me though, movie format hasnít been working well for me. Tamers is generally considered the best and most found Xros Wars too different with the Digixros stuff. Appmon was liked by most who actually watched it as well. Frontier was fine for me until the RK arc and Savers I found fun.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    A lot of fans were turned off from Frontier because it eliminated the partner dynamic in favour of having the kids transform into Digimon. In retrospect that sounds like an awesome idea on paper, but having recently watched that season for the first time I can tell you that, while this doesn't automatically make Frontier bad, it was also the least of its problems. Ultimately I came away disappointed.

I feel like Savers doesn't get talked about much, though I'd have to guess it's because it only briefly revived the franchise before it became dormant for more years. Up to now I've ranked it among my favourites, though I'm in the middle of a rewatch and wondering if it lives up to the nostalgia.

Xros Wars doesn't seem to get a lot of love, again, simply because it's different and they did away with traditional power levels. But then there's Appmon, and boy is there a lot of vitriol from people who refuse to watch it simply because it's "not Digimon". It's deemed a "spinoff" because there's a whole new set of characters and there aren't any traditional Digimon in it. There was also doomsdaying and shitstirring about how this was going to end the main Digimon franchise and replace it altogether. It's a shame to see people not give it a chance because it's actually really good, if not the best season in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    I am also an outlier with somewhat liking Hunters in the sense that I found it enjoyable enough to watch it on an episode to episode basis. Nothing I would binge, but the single episodes in of itself are entertaining enough for me to like. There is just not a lot going on in terms of plot or character development.
    Yeah, the episodes themselves weren't too bad, but at the time the lack of an overarching story outside of the crossover was frustrating. I think there were a lot of expectations that simply weren't met, hence the less than favourable reputation. We'd got to episode 13 and were expecting an actual story to kick in like it did with Savers around that time, before the news drop of "by the way this show will only have 25 episodes"
    Last edited by wildwing64; 10-25-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Follow Grovyle48 on DeviantArt
    The people who generally say that the first three seasons are the only good ones are usually the people who watched the first three seasons as kids and typically have nostalgia goggles on. The Digimon equivalent of "Genwunners (and twoers)" for Pokemon fans. It's hard to generalize all fans since everybody has their own opinions. I actually like Frontier, for example.

Add KaenKazui on Google+ Follow KaenKazui on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    Xros Wars doesn't seem to get a lot of love, again, simply because it's different and they did away with traditional power levels.
    Well, I cannot say for the general fandom, but at least from the people I know in the German Fandom that have actually watched Xros Wars (like me) ... Our dislike of it has nothing to do with it "not being Digimon" and everything to do, with the bad character writing, the lack of proper story progression, the lack of proper world building and the partly very exploitative fanservice.

The characters mostly seem to exist to cheerlead Taiki and tell everyone how awesome Taiki is. Their character arcs were barely present and never felt, like they went anywhere. And Taiki himself also did not get a lot of development. Heck, generally the human characters seemed very underdeveloped. (The Digimon had actually more background and development at times.)

The plot never felt as if progressing. Sure, they defeated some of Bagramon's minions, but ... Welp ... That's it. It never really felt as if the heroes accomplished anything.

And the world building also wasn't very engaging.

Well, and while I do not necessarily mind the lack of levels, I did mind a lack of reference of how strong the protagonists were compared to the bad guys. It lacked some basic rules. For example: It was never made clear, why the supposed very intelligent Taiki never tried to play around with the DigiXros. You know: How many Digimon can I fuse? What will be the results? Where is the upper maximum? Sure, we had one episode adressing the fact, that Shoutmon had problems to uphold one of the higher Xrosses, but then he did some training and everything was fine again. So ... Why not train and add more? Why is nobody trying? Aaaaaaaaaah~

And, well, the fanservice ... Mervamon's giant tits and her camel toe really were a big turn off. I have no problem with some fanservice here and there. I never minded sexy Digimon like Angewomon (not to say that Angewomon always was my favorite Digimon in Adventure/02), but Mervamon was just way too much. That was basically an amount of fanservice that I would have minded in an Ecchi anime. Not to speak of Digimon.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    As someone who only watched the first two Seasons as a kid, and caught up as Tri came about, I'd rate them:

Tier 1 - Adventure, Tamers, Appmon
    Tier 2 - Data Squad, 02, Tri
    Tier 3 - Frontier, Fusion, Hunters

I think Tamers is generally considered the best, but other than that, preferences are pretty varied.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast