With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of ryo?

I'm a Maniac

What do you think of ryo?

Is he a character that you liked in the digimon franchise or do you dislike him and why?

As for ryos incarnation in the digimon in the adventure series I was intrigued how he and ken defeated milleniumon and would of liked to seen an anime adaption of their adventures and specifically in adventures anime why he was special and chosen. He was a character masked with mystery in the adventure series that was never addressed and after seeing him in tamers and looking into his character made him being in adventures more interesting to me.

As for in tamers ryo completely embodied the hero figure he was a nice guy who could do anything partnered with a berserk digimon I found that appealing. I didn't really care for the ryo and rika match up. He came into tamers late but I think he was a fun addition to the tamers series.

He's my boy and I love him. Although I totally get why a Tamers fan who's never heard of the games he's from wouldn't like his portrayal in Tamers. Like, "Who is this new guy and why does everyone like him, and why is his Digimon so powerful, and why does he get a place next to the main characters in battle? Who does he think he is??" Not only that, but apparently the writers didn't want to include him but were told to do so by some higher ups, so there's yet another reason why his inclusion might feel forced and unnecessary.* Still, knowing about his backstory and his previous adventures, I find him rather interesting, and seeing him included in art with the other Tamers- official or fanmade- always makes me smile! Alsooo... Ryou/Ruki is one of my first ever ships and is still very special to me :3c

(*If this is actually bs please let me know, I don't wanna spread misinformation or anything.)

I'm a Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoiseshel View Post
    He's my boy and I love him. Although I totally get why a Tamers fan who's never heard of the games he's from wouldn't like his portrayal in Tamers. Like, "Who is this new guy and why does everyone like him, and why is his Digimon so powerful, and why does he get a place next to the main characters in battle? Who does he think he is??" Not only that, but apparently the writers didn't want to include him but were told to do so by some higher ups, so there's yet another reason why his inclusion might feel forced and unnecessary.* Still, knowing about his backstory and his previous adventures, I find him rather interesting, and seeing him included in art with the other Tamers- official or fanmade- always makes me smile! Alsooo... Ryou/Ruki is one of my first ever ships and is still very special to me :3c

(*If this is actually bs please let me know, I don't wanna spread misinformation or anything.)
    Yeah ryo seems to be a pretty polarizing character either you love him or hate him

Ryo just feels like the biggest example of executive meddling and fumbling the cross media promotion thing Digimon does because of all the plot holes he opens up.

But I love Millenuimon and Monodramonís lineís designs so I canít hate him too much.

Plus I like Ken too and the backstory would have been interesting if it wasnít weird and full of holes

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Follow MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    i like Ryo, he is an interesting character, though it would be nice to get a movie about him since most people donīt really know his story.

I didn't care for Ryo going into Tamers.

I must admit that I generally see the Adventure-Ryo as a separate case, but even then I'm still ambivalent towards him.

Ain't got no mojo... Mild At Heart's Avatar
    I could talk too much about Ryo. He's ultimately my favorite Digimon character.

Funnily enough, my interest started years ago when I found our he shared his Seiyuu with Sonic the Hedgehog through "Digital Surviver". Then I found out about Ryo's complicated backstory and I really became interested.

And I really liked it. Maybe it's the amount of interpreting/headcanoning I get to do, like just how his journey caused him to "grow up" and his closeness to Agumon in Anode/Cathode, his friendship with Ken and Partnership to V-mon, how he felt/reacted when those Digimon Sacrificed themselves in D1, or heck, most of Brave Tamer and how he and Monodramon were so close. Heck, I like to wonder just how he went/would go from the end of Brave Tamer.

So, I can't help but hope there's some more done with him in the future.
    Relemon is objectively the pinnacle of Digimon designs, there is no arguing this. It's perfect.

I donít feel very strongly about him really. Heís just kind of there, and the video games he stars in arenít exactly the most accessable for an English speaker. The Monodramon and Millenniumon evolution lines are pretty cool though.

Not a fan of him in Anode/Cathode or Brave Tamer, where the games basically appropriate other characters' Partner Digimon for his use, which I'm fairly sure lands him in the Mary Sue category. He doesn't really have that problem in Tag or D-1 Tamers, which makes him much more tolerable.

In Tamers, it's really hard to say he's not a Mary Sue, arriving smack dab in the middle of the plot without real foreshadowing, being better than Ruki, having cheap cards, getting a Real World Matrix evolution without Dobermon, having a backstory with a narrative scope so huge that it blows the entirety of Tamers out of the water, etc. The only use I've seen it convincingly argued he has is as a subordinate character in Ruki's development (namely, the -- ahem -- climax of her character arc), but that's slim pickings for the entirety of his character.
    It's all part of the mystery or whatever.

Since my exposure to him is through Tamers I can't say I care for him. You can tell he was forced in through executive meddling as he doesn't fit in well with the cast or the plot as a whole, and since they don't really refer to the games within the show itself you can't really get attached to his backstory or feel that the power-ups he gets is justified when the main trio go through so much more onscreen. In general he sticks out and not in a good way, and while there's only so much that the writers could do the issues with him do show in how he was implemented.
    Last edited by Bartz; 10-22-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast