With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of ryo?

I like him a lot, but his Tamers incarnation is effectively a completely different character with the same name and is so far removed from the core concepts he was based on that it's kind of dissapointing

I come from the net
    I'll say what I said all those years ago. Ryo in the dub, is a dink. As in the insult. I wasn't super fond of the character back then and not because of a possible him being in the way of a ship, since this was after 02 back then, but because he just didn't seem like a character I liked.

Now? ...The dub is still a dink but I'm sure the original wasn't so bad.

Videogames Ryo? A horrible mary sue whose entire plot feels more like a OC do not steal fanfic that tries to pass itself as an official part of the digimon mythos.

Anime Ryo? He's a cool guy, I actually liked him more than the trio of tamers, he felt more like a digimon character than the other three, who felt more like Lain characters shoehorned into a digimon show

I genuinely think that they can get some mileage out of re-introducing Ryo back into the Adventure anime and expanding on his cameo in 02.

But that's just me grumbling since I was dissatisfied with how Tri have been handling the 02 kids. :|

I like Ryo in the games. He has some actually interesting sci-fi ideas that revolve around him. And he goes through some genuine conflict: betrayal and the realization of who his true partner is. I liked him best when he and Ken were interacting.

When he's interacting with Taichi and the others, it feels so forced and fake (which, we find out later on, is because they are deceiving him, which makes the Adventure kids seem out of character... Though it DOES fit Gennai's and the Holy Beasts' characterization more, so it's a wash).

I can agree that he's not utilized well in Tamers. He was meant to be viewed as something of a 'mentor' role, but it didn't really pan out. Perhaps he's also there to show how the whole "Tamer" phenomenon wasn't limited ONLY to the main three kids? If Ryo's out there Taming, then maybe there's also a BUNCH of kids out there Taming? (Ai and Mako also serve to make the scope of Tamers feel larger in this regard, more than being fully realized characters themselves.)

What makes Ryo not work quite as intended is that instead of simply being a background piece of world-building (like Ai and Mako), his role is also pulling double-duty as wrapping up the conclusion of four games worth of build-up. We HAVE to see him reach his self-actualization of accepting his deeply flawed partner. The problem is... they never actually SHOW that self-actualization. It's just inferred from the actions of Takato and the others and from what we can glean from the ending of Brave Tamer. Ryo apparently can merge with Cyberdramon, the ultimate form of acceptance, which I suppose is just meant to IMPLY that now Milleniumon is at peace within Monodramon/Justimon.

It works at a distance, but there's no emotional weight to it within the Tamers anime itself.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

I'm a Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
    I genuinely think that they can get some mileage out of re-introducing Ryo back into the Adventure anime and expanding on his cameo in 02.

But that's just me grumbling since I was dissatisfied with how Tri have been handling the 02 kids. :|
    Would love for a legit ryo and willis debut in adventure

Red shirt
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne Renard View Post
    Videogames Ryo? A horrible mary sue whose entire plot feels more like a OC do not steal fanfic that tries to pass itself as an official part of the digimon mythos.

Anime Ryo? He's a cool guy, I actually liked him more than the trio of tamers, he felt more like a digimon character than the other three, who felt more like Lain characters shoehorned into a digimon show
    Yeah, as a video game protagonist, Ryou's kinda in an awkward spot. He's kinda meant to serve as a player surrogate, but he's also got his own dialog and characterization, which I guess makes him more of an idealization that the player's meant to take on. It probably wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that this is supposed to fit into canon.... the canon of two different universes, no less.

Still, while we probably could've done without all the endless praise from established characters, his base conflict with Millenniumon does seem like it has potential as a worthwhile story on its own. Seems like it could be re-envisioned pretty well as an anime or some other more concrete form of story-telling with the right amount of retooling. It's a shame that Bamco doesn't seem keen on basing a video game off of 02 or Tamers like they did with Adventure PSP, because I could see Ryou's entire storyline being condensed into some Hackmon-like sidequests (considering the WonderSwan games were almost entirely padded out with some rather pointless dungeons, his entire series does seem like it could fit into a small sidequest, maybe spanning both a 02 and a Tamers game).

As for your comment about Lain characters, I agree with some articles on The Tamers Union in this regard: Digimon Tamers is probably the closest the anime may have ever gotten to the franchise's core concept. It's not that Tamers seems out of place, it's more like Adventure focused too much on the adventure and fantasy elements than the science fiction elements that Digimon had always been based around. So yeah, Lain but with the Wired being inhabited by monsters actually feels right at home with this franchise.

It occurs to me that I forgot to mention his guest appearance in V-Tamer, which is certainly amusing. Shame it's such a radically alternate interpretation of him from Tamers'.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Yeah, as a video game protagonist, Ryou's kinda in an awkward spot.
    It occurs to me that he shares something of a mold with the OC player characters from Konami's Yu-Gi-Oh games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    And he goes through some genuine conflict: betrayal and the realization of who his true partner is.
    Ehhh, do we really know who his "true partner" is? Every time I think about it, I can't help but remember that his supposed "true partner" is (A) obsessed and (B) batshit.

Not to be confrontational or anything, it's just that I remember this idea coming exclusively from the mouth of that selfsame "true partner", whose interpretation is necessarily unreliable.
    Last edited by Jaybird C; 10-22-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    It's all part of the mystery or whatever.

Heís an interesting character with an even more interesting backstory, that I wish we couldíve see animated either in anime or cut scenes from video games. Heís like the Future Trunks of the Digimon universe.

Digimon Tamers Ryo to me seemed a bit like a one dimensional character, the English dub made him sound a bit cocky. Although I havenít seen the Japanese version of Tamers in a few years, donít remember if he was like that in the original as well.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    I never had any issue with Ryo as to me his confidence seemed justified since Cyberdramon was one of the strongest of the partner Digimon for that series.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast