With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Movie Book Interview with Hosoda Translated

Digimon Movie Book Interview with Hosoda Translated

Well, this is a fun surprise.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The interview with Mamoru Hosoda from the old Digimon Movie Book has been translated.

Wave Motion Cannon just posted Part 1 of the interview today, along with screenshots of the first two films and storyboards from the book itself.

It's a great interview that gives a few tidbits on early planning for the franchise, along with Hosoda's thoughts and insight into why they did certain things.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

A fantastic read that I really recommend.

We'll archive it later, but for now head to Wave Motion Cannon and give it a read. Looking forward to Part 2!

Update- Part 2 is here.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

That Tokyo Olympics story is an amazing concept.
    It's all part of the mystery or whatever.

Wow, great read. It's amazing how much symbolism and thematic imagery they were able to pack in such a short film (regarding Adventure), and even more amazing that they were able to do it with nuance. Adventure isn't my favorite of the films, but this is such an interesting look.

And the tonal shift to Our War Game makes sense. I'll assume since they didn't get to use the "road movie" motif for it, they repurposed it for Hurricane Touchdown?

Quote Originally Posted by BlankShell View Post
    I'll assume since they didn't get to use the "road movie" motif for it, they repurposed it for Hurricane Touchdown?
    I'd more assume coincidence to be honest, possibly with a small touch of "We discussed doing something like this..."

Touchdown was more about going to America, and while they do travel, road trip aspects are minimized in it overall, at least in the things you'd expect in a road trip movie.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo...
    This is really cool. All the choices are so deliberate and it's actually given some new dimensions and perspectives to Taichi's character that I'd love to analyze

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird C View Post
    That Tokyo Olympics story is an amazing concept.
    Agreed. I can imagine some of the potential hijinks and it brings up a slight smile.
    Last edited by DigimonTrash; 10-20-2017 at 02:20 PM.

One of the more interesting things, at least to me, is how you can clearly tell even back in 2001 (even in the production of it in fact) he wanted the film to be longer.

Took roughly 8 years from the date of the interview for that to fully happen.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    I'm kind of disappointed Hosoda doesn't mention anything else about the incestous relationshion between Taichi and Hikari during the ep. 21 of Adventure, he even have hinted in the past (at least in this part of the interview).

I'm going digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Follow SuperStarlite on DeviantArt Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed Hosoda doesn't mention anything else about the incestous relationshion between Taichi and Hikari during the ep. 21 of Adventure, he even have hinted in the past (at least in this part of the interview).
    Wasn't that confirmed as a hoax?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    This was a very interesting read. Though the translator calls Koshiro and Jou the wrong names.

I think there's an instance where the translator confuses Takeru with Jou(or maybe the original interview has a mistake like this). Regardless, a pretty great read. The stuff covering Movie 1 really flies in the face of the dub version, where Tai and Kari clearly, almost equally fall for Koromon. You do not get the sense that Kari is afraid of Koromon, ever; she's worried Parrotmon will hurt him.

Also crazy how they reroute production seemingly on a whim, with the TV series coming in later. In that sense, the show steps on the film's intended dichotomy of Taichi accepting Digimon and Hikari rejecting them as a symbol that Taichi can go to the Digital World; Hikari just happens to be sick in the show and doesn't go to camp.

Aaaand, I want to watch all the films mentioned as inspirations now. Dr. Strangelove is famous, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast