With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: The With the Will Podcast, Episode 20 (Live!)- It's a Gatch, Gatch, Gatch World!

The With the Will Podcast, Episode 20 (Live!)- It's a Gatch, Gatch, Gatch World!

Time for Appmon!

With Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters recently finishing up it's run on TV, it seemed a great time to discuss the series at length, which is exactly what we do.

Before all the Appmon discussion we went over the few handfuls of recent Digimon news.

After news and Appmon we answered a stack of questions from the audience!

We go over the news live, with title cards so viewers can follow along visually on the Youtube version.

You can support us on Patreon and chat with us on Discord!

Affiliate links to the recent release of Digimon Adventure tri. Part 1 release in the USA:
    Blu-ray, which is a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.
    DVD, which is a stand alone DVD.

And the recent release of Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 in the USA:
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 Blu-ray Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 DVD

And pre-orders for Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 in the USA:
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 Blu-ray Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 DVD

Show notes, downloads, and the RSS feed can be found at http://podcast.withthewill.net/post/20

This episode was recorded on October 14th, 2017.

Questions for future episodes can be sent to podcast@withthewill.net.

We can be found on iTunes, Google Play, and most podcasting apps (feel free to suggest one if you don't see us there.)

For those who like watching their podcasts on Youtube, the episode is embedded up above. Let us know what you think of the embedded images.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    I'd have to agree with AR and May on Appmon being one of the more evenly spread series in terms of character focus.

The show could have used it's time more efficiently, and the way it dipped and peaked with intensity was weird, but even when indulging in the most filler of filler, it was always consistently entertaining. (Though the Bootmon chase was starting to take the mick.)

The way I interpreted Leviathan having "planned everything" is that he orchestrated "survival of the fittest" scenarios. In those situations, maybe the kids win, maybe they don't, either way the strongest remains and becomes the base Appmon of the God Grade. Speaking of which, the only God Grade that seemed odd to me was Posidenmon (in design theme, the App power at least fits), the rest looked really good, and fit for their Standard Grades well. I'm not even a big fan of using gold as a primary colour, but here it felt like it worked.

Also, I believe Leviathan was being sincere when he gave Haru the choice at the end, and wasn't actually sure what he would choose. From the start, he was only doing what he genuinely thought was best for the human race. If it was just a cruel trick, he wouldn't have actually assigned the buttons to do anything, and when Haru makes his choice, he even wishes humanity well. It's possible the fact that the human-Appmon pairings constantly came on top gave him pause for thought, and lead him to offer the choice.

Though I do agree, that the importance of absorbing the God Grade Appmon could have been empathised, rather than some abstract form of evolution/power boost. My head canon is that he did need their data in order to gain enough power to Digitize the whole Earth, as he had only digitized a city up to that point.

The CG animation worked well for me, even the lower frame-rate. The spectacle of the composition and mixed with the emotional investment in character conflicts behind the battles made some of the greatest fights. Globemon (Overdrive) vs. Charismon (L-Virus) was one of my favourites. Though the forced perspective and scale of the Leviathan battle was defiantly the best looking fight.

Honestly, I'd really like a Cyber Sleuth Anime. I feel like the premise and tone would make a great show.
    Last edited by McGann; 10-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

Quote Originally Posted by McGann View Post
    Also, I believe Leviathan was being sincere when he gave Haru the choice at the end, and wasn't actually sure what he would choose. From the start, he was only doing what he genuinely thought was best for the human race. If it was just a cruel trick, he wouldn't have actually assigned the buttons to do anything, and when Haru makes his choice, he even wishes humanity well. It's possible the fact that the human-Appmon pairings constantly came on top gave him pause for thought, and lead him to offer the choice.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant.

I was more musing on the idea that Leviathan believes as an advanced AI that he 'knows' how things will work out.

The choice was real.

I'm more thinking about the possibility (but not certainty) that Leviathan only gave Haru the choice because he believed Haru would prove his point for him.

Haru has made it very clear he believes Leviathan's plan is plain wrong. At this point, Leviathan has won. Leviathan gives him the choice that he could 'save' his friend, but doom everyone (based on the idea that he's said humanity wouldn't want to 'live' like that, etc.), or kill his friend, and save everyone, giving Haru an emotional rather than a logical choice in an attempt to prove his point that humanity simply can't properly take care of itself (using the idea of boiling it all down to one emotional choice.)

Also, the message of wishing humanity well isn't quite that...

It was 'Good Luck.'

That could either be a message of well wishing to humanity having destiny in it's own hands, or seen as slightly more mean spirited or mocking that, as Haru wanted, humanity is now on it's own without him to 'fix' it's problems. Leviathan's overall goal was that he believed humanity would be it's own ruin (going back to the idea that he gave Haru, representing humanity, a choice), and that he was helping humanity (it's brought up a number of times in that show that Leviathan's goal IS to help humanity, he simply sees it quite different than the characters, or how most of the audience would be.)

As the message goes away they even show Hajime responding to it more than a little confused, which could be taken a number of ways.

The show does contemplate at the end the idea that maybe Leviathan was changing as things ended, but it does not give us a solid answer on this idea (nor does it even attempt to tell us one way or the other, it simply notes it as a potential explanation for what was going on at the end.)
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    I get what you meant. I just think it's more likely that he genuinely didn't know which one Haru would pick.
    Last edited by McGann; 10-16-2017 at 03:22 AM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."