With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appmon Beginning in France and Hong Kong

Appmon Beginning in France and Hong Kong

We have the first solid info on a Western country running Appmon!

Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters is currently scheduled to begin a run on French channel 'Boing' on Saturday, October 21st at 5:50pm under the title "Digimon Appmon."

Character names given in the short description given for episode 1 stick to the Japanese names: Haru Shinkai, Gatchmon, Messemon, Yujin.

The first episode is listed as "Résultat de la recherche: Haru Shinkai! Gatchmon fait son entrée" which translated to English roughly as "Search Result: Haru Shinkai! Gatchmon makes his Entrance" which is reasonably close to what has generally been used as the translated Japanese title of episode 1.

Toei has often done licensing in various European companies completely separate from many English speaking countries, so while it's good we have confirmation of what appears to be the first western country getting a version of Appmon, it doesn't necessarily give us solid info on what to expect for the rest of us (or it could be announced tomorrow for all we know.)

Thanks to a number of people for sending this in.

Update- Thanks to Marotaku we have a few more details and a commercial for the French run on Boing.

If the embed doesn't work here is a direct link.

The October 21st showing is apparently an early airing of episode 1, with the full run beginning on October 23rd at 5:45pm.

Update- It's also been confirmed for Hong Kong, dubbed in Cantonese, as Digimon App Generation, beginning October 26th on TVB.

Thanks to DigiSoul for the heads up on that detail.

We won't be going over every country getting a localized version of Appmon, but since these appear to be among the first (with the first western release), it seemed notable.

Update- Another update via our friend Marotaku! It's the French Appmon logo!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Well... that is certainly a logo that exists.

Update- The opening and the ending as aired in France!

So in show they are using a shortened version of the English promotional/sales logo.

It uses the Japanese OP and ED themes, but it's running sped up with no pitch correction to account for the framerate difference between film and PAL. The little bit of dialogue we get sounds fine, so it appears the dub is correctly recorded for PAL.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow clanc On Twitter Add clanc on Facebook Visit clanc's Youtube Channel
    I can hear the French getting pumped up from here.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    Fingers crossed an English dub is coming up.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

I come from the net
    Darn. France. Oh well. Maybe that could get them to air it in more Euro-countries then expand to the US. That would be really nice but I'm sure any French members here are happy.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    La vie peut devenir merveilleuse!!

Added Hong Kong dub information.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I really like the Hong Kong version's name, would love to see an English adaption use that title.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I'm kind of surprised to see the rollout start so quickly. After MIPCOM 2016, Toei pretty much stopped advertising the show in the industry trades. That usually means they've found an all-encompassing buyer, or literally no one's interested. They have been showcasing Adventure Tri, however.

I'm also reminded of the arguments people had over how to translate this show's subtitle. I was always Team Appmon because "Appli" is almost exclusively a Japanese contraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    I'm kind of surprised to see the rollout start so quickly. After MIPCOM 2016, Toei pretty much stopped advertising the show in the industry trades. That usually means they've found an all-encompassing buyer, or literally no one's interested. They have been showcasing Adventure Tri, however.

I'm also reminded of the arguments people had over how to translate this show's subtitle. I was always Team Appmon because "Appli" is almost exclusively a Japanese contraction.
    That's generally not 'quiet' as true as people take it for to be honest.

Anime that companies believe can 'break through' tend to get one or two big pushes, and then they are talking with companies behind the scenes.

We were only made aware of the big push at MIPCOM because that was the one where Toei was saying publicly "it's available" and showing it off as such to potential 'new' partners.

After that point they aren't going to spend the effort, because it's unlikely to stumble into 'new' partners if they aren't interested at that point, so they will go back to the tried and true methods and companies they develop with.

That's to say nothing of it's appearance at trade shows dedicated to Japanese based media, potential closed door meetings at other events, etc.

I mean, Dragon Ball Super was shown at a handful of trade shows, wasn't simulcast for it's first year, etc. but not one had 'bought' it yet, and many would be interested. It was a matter of Toei getting the deal they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    Actually French (European French in particular) uses "Appli" to refer to apps quite frequently. Canada, it seems the Quebec Language Office opts for "application" over cool and hip contraction. Which is not new.

Digimon Appmon may actually be formatted as "Digimon: Appmon". I never really grew up with the French dub but I seem to recall Adventure 02 and Tamers being referred to as "Digimon: Saison 2" and "Digimon: Saison 3", but it's been so long I can't remember!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast