With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for advice on a Digimon fanfic regarding the usage of antagonist?

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhikan634 View Post
    It depends on your intentions and what role you want each villain to play, really. I'd also consider how you want the two plots to lead into each other. By null canon, GranDracmon's power is at least on par with the SGDL, and the Eaters are essentially apocalypse-class. If you're creating your own universe, I'd probably suggest making sure you build up in some way. There are a number of ways to do that, depending on the other ideas you have.

You mention hackers involved with the Eaters, and they seem like an easy way to create build-up as well as a way to include a bit of exposition and maybe some rising actions. I'd add, though, that you don't necessarily have to jump right into Eater-Apocalypse, so you could use that as your larger, overarching plot line with GranDracmon in the middle, should you wish. I think this type of idea you mentioned sounds like it could be the easiest to write. My main consideration would be how GranDracmon fits in. Whether you have him affiliated with the other villains or as his own side, I think good world-building should establish (or eventually reveal) some of the historical points. So if GranDracmon is completely orthogonal to the hackers / Eater, why are they both where they are? Though writing only with the knowledge of the protagonists can be done, it often yields a frustrated audience as with parts of Tri. But however it's revealed, I'd definitely suggest figuring out a bit of the history of your world, at least the important bits to make it all flow. I almost like the idea of GranDracmon's being unrelated and simply choosing to strike after the protagonists are battle-worn.

Alternatively, you could go strait from the hackers to Eater and then bring in GranDracmon. While this makes the Eater plot fairly straightforward, I'd really suggest doing a fair amount of world-building so that he doesn't just feel tacked on as a "hey, I like this villain, so here he is" story. One way of avoiding this dissonance is by weaving in some bits about GranDracmon throughout the earlier arcs. It doesn't even have to be name-dropping even, so long as it later can be tied in. One way of doing this is having some form of prophecy, warning, or ancient history that's thought to warn about Eater but it's then revealed to actually be GranDracmon. As his power is enough to give SGDL trouble, he could be written as an apocalypse-class villain as well. As the author, you get to figure out how their power levels will compare. Alternatively, Eater could be done brute force and moderate intelligence (or re-characterized in typical rogue AI form where there's some form of faulty logic) with GranDracmon being power with a lot more intelligence and cunning behind it.

There are, of course, many, many, many more ways to approach writing, so these are just a few things that come to mind based on my own style of writing. In the end, you're the author. I like writing with a known goal and then uncovering my world while actually writing. Others like to plan everything out from the very beginning. You can also have certain points that aren't known and never get revealed (versus, for instance, writing in third-person omniscient).

Well, if the hackers are the first villains, I imagine they have Eater with them, but for now, it's just a mindless beast when they are first beaten. Second, I would have GranDracmon as an indepedent villain, like you said, striking the heroes after they are battle worn after their first encounter and once he's gone, Eater returns as an artificial intelligence who gained sentience(possibly after its repeated defeats, it had clones in cyber sleuth, right?)

On the side, I was thinking of what my digital world should be like? I said my story takes elements from cyber sleuth and world next order but what's the digital world like in those exactly as I have not played the full games.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhikan634 View Post
    It depends on your intentions and what role you want each villain to play, really. I'd also consider how you want the two plots to lead into each other. By null canon, GranDracmon's power is at least on par with the SGDL, and the Eaters are essentially apocalypse-class. If you're creating your own universe, I'd probably suggest making sure you build up in some way. There are a number of ways to do that, depending on the other ideas you have.

You mention hackers involved with the Eaters, and they seem like an easy way to create build-up as well as a way to include a bit of exposition and maybe some rising actions. I'd add, though, that you don't necessarily have to jump right into Eater-Apocalypse, so you could use that as your larger, overarching plot line with GranDracmon in the middle, should you wish. I think this type of idea you mentioned sounds like it could be the easiest to write. My main consideration would be how GranDracmon fits in. Whether you have him affiliated with the other villains or as his own side, I think good world-building should establish (or eventually reveal) some of the historical points. So if GranDracmon is completely orthogonal to the hackers / Eater, why are they both where they are? Though writing only with the knowledge of the protagonists can be done, it often yields a frustrated audience as with parts of Tri. But however it's revealed, I'd definitely suggest figuring out a bit of the history of your world, at least the important bits to make it all flow. I almost like the idea of GranDracmon's being unrelated and simply choosing to strike after the protagonists are battle-worn.

Alternatively, you could go strait from the hackers to Eater and then bring in GranDracmon. While this makes the Eater plot fairly straightforward, I'd really suggest doing a fair amount of world-building so that he doesn't just feel tacked on as a "hey, I like this villain, so here he is" story. One way of avoiding this dissonance is by weaving in some bits about GranDracmon throughout the earlier arcs. It doesn't even have to be name-dropping even, so long as it later can be tied in. One way of doing this is having some form of prophecy, warning, or ancient history that's thought to warn about Eater but it's then revealed to actually be GranDracmon. As his power is enough to give SGDL trouble, he could be written as an apocalypse-class villain as well. As the author, you get to figure out how their power levels will compare. Alternatively, Eater could be done brute force and moderate intelligence (or re-characterized in typical rogue AI form where there's some form of faulty logic) with GranDracmon being power with a lot more intelligence and cunning behind it.

There are, of course, many, many, many more ways to approach writing, so these are just a few things that come to mind based on my own style of writing. In the end, you're the author. I like writing with a known goal and then uncovering my world while actually writing. Others like to plan everything out from the very beginning. You can also have certain points that aren't known and never get revealed (versus, for instance, writing in third-person omniscient).
    Hi there, I was wondering, did you see my PM?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123