With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a Digimon fanfic regarding the usage of antagonist?

I'm going digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Follow SuperStarlite on DeviantArt Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel
    Alright, glad to have been of help.

Hotheaded smart guy interests me. I think his 'flaw' is that he's really bad at communicating and gets angry easily.

He genuinely likes everyone and wants to contribute. And he sees all these brilliant plans that would easily win the mission... if ONLY people would listen to him!

In other words, he's a terrible terrible human being. But he's right. Which makes him even MORE loathable. No one on the team is going to like him, but after he occasionally saves the day, they start to respect him a little. And eventually SOMEONE finally tells him off, making him realize that just having good intentions and good ideas isn't enough. You have to think about how the way you conduct yourself colors people's perceptions of you and how a good relationship with your team is as important a part of teamwork as having a good strategic mind.

He will be no one's favorite character, but he will be the driving force of conflict in your interpersonal character dynamics for most of the story.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Hotheaded smart guy interests me. I think his 'flaw' is that he's really bad at communicating and gets angry easily.

He genuinely likes everyone and wants to contribute. And he sees all these brilliant plans that would easily win the mission... if ONLY people would listen to him!

In other words, he's a terrible terrible human being. But he's right. Which makes him even MORE loathable. No one on the team is going to like him, but after he occasionally saves the day, they start to respect him a little. And eventually SOMEONE finally tells him off, making him realize that just having good intentions and good ideas isn't enough. You have to think about how the way you conduct yourself colors people's perceptions of you and how a good relationship with your team is as important a part of teamwork as having a good strategic mind.

He will be no one's favorite character, but he will be the driving force of conflict in your interpersonal character dynamics for most of the story.

I heard that hotheaded and smart don't really go well. Is there way to make him kinda aggressive but not a jerk or annoying perhaps.

Sure, but then what's his flaw that makes him realistic?
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Sure, but then what's his flaw that makes him realistic?
    Maybe at first, he's not exactly a team player.

I was also working on villains. Like for GranDracmon, which mega digimon could be his enforces. He has followers who are champion and adult, but I was looking for which mega? I was unsure if using the demon lords
    Last edited by Vande; 10-12-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: double post merge

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt
    Merged a couple of your double posts. Please use the edit button rather than multi posting.

I'm going digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Follow SuperStarlite on DeviantArt Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    I was also working on villains. Like for GranDracmon, which mega digimon could be his enforces. He has followers who are champion and adult, but I was looking for which mega? I was unsure if using the demon lords
    Well for megas I'm assuming they're endgame enemies right? You could use "Demon Lord" Digimon that aren't part of the 7 Great Demon Lords. Those being Bagramon, Deathmon, Murmukusmon, and BelialVamdemon(He would obviously need an adaption weakening, but it's not the first time that'd happen in Digimon stories :P)

In the deepest pits of hell, and the deep reaches of space... Occasionally both.
    Follow Xadhoom on DeviantArt Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    Just a "absolutely OP" idea, but: DarkKnightmon as GranDracmon's go-to guy for interdimensional travel, Bagramon as his go-to guy for obtaining information or artifacts, MaloMyotismon for the illusory ability.

Try to get villains that make sense with the story you're trying to tell not the reverse, because that would fell shoehorned, and would end in either a bland story or in you losing your enthusiasm and leaving your story unfinished. So, ultimately all falls in how the story you want to tell will evolve.

A good way to determine this is to plan from the very beginning the end of the story. Nothing detailed, just a few notes that can help you to remember how you want your story to evolve. How the final battle (if any) would affect the characters and the world your story takes place? what will happen with the characters? And other noteworthy stuff. With the ending already decided, not only you would find villains that fit that ending perfectly, but also it would be easier for you to write your story (or how things ended the way you planned in the ending).

Don't feel forced by your already planned ending while writing. Is just a guideline, not something set in stone. If you came up with something that is really interesting but will be at odds with this ending, you can always modify your ending to make any new idea fit (but only if the new idea is worth of this effort).

It depends on your intentions and what role you want each villain to play, really. I'd also consider how you want the two plots to lead into each other. By null canon, GranDracmon's power is at least on par with the SGDL, and the Eaters are essentially apocalypse-class. If you're creating your own universe, I'd probably suggest making sure you build up in some way. There are a number of ways to do that, depending on the other ideas you have.

You mention hackers involved with the Eaters, and they seem like an easy way to create build-up as well as a way to include a bit of exposition and maybe some rising actions. I'd add, though, that you don't necessarily have to jump right into Eater-Apocalypse, so you could use that as your larger, overarching plot line with GranDracmon in the middle, should you wish. I think this type of idea you mentioned sounds like it could be the easiest to write. My main consideration would be how GranDracmon fits in. Whether you have him affiliated with the other villains or as his own side, I think good world-building should establish (or eventually reveal) some of the historical points. So if GranDracmon is completely orthogonal to the hackers / Eater, why are they both where they are? Though writing only with the knowledge of the protagonists can be done, it often yields a frustrated audience as with parts of Tri. But however it's revealed, I'd definitely suggest figuring out a bit of the history of your world, at least the important bits to make it all flow. I almost like the idea of GranDracmon's being unrelated and simply choosing to strike after the protagonists are battle-worn.

Alternatively, you could go strait from the hackers to Eater and then bring in GranDracmon. While this makes the Eater plot fairly straightforward, I'd really suggest doing a fair amount of world-building so that he doesn't just feel tacked on as a "hey, I like this villain, so here he is" story. One way of avoiding this dissonance is by weaving in some bits about GranDracmon throughout the earlier arcs. It doesn't even have to be name-dropping even, so long as it later can be tied in. One way of doing this is having some form of prophecy, warning, or ancient history that's thought to warn about Eater but it's then revealed to actually be GranDracmon. As his power is enough to give SGDL trouble, he could be written as an apocalypse-class villain as well. As the author, you get to figure out how their power levels will compare. Alternatively, Eater could be done brute force and moderate intelligence (or re-characterized in typical rogue AI form where there's some form of faulty logic) with GranDracmon being power with a lot more intelligence and cunning behind it.

There are, of course, many, many, many more ways to approach writing, so these are just a few things that come to mind based on my own style of writing. In the end, you're the author. I like writing with a known goal and then uncovering my world while actually writing. Others like to plan everything out from the very beginning. You can also have certain points that aren't known and never get revealed (versus, for instance, writing in third-person omniscient).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast