With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a Digimon fanfic regarding the usage of antagonist?

Ain't got no mojo...

Looking for advice on a Digimon fanfic regarding the usage of antagonist?

So I was thinking about writing a Digimon fanfic for some time and I had in mind two antagonist I wanted to use. They are GranDracmon and a hacker group who use and get hijacked by Eater from Cyber Sleuth. Regarding the usage, i was wondering which of them to use first, the hacker group or GranDracmon. I had two scenarios in mind:

GranDracmon is the first antagonist, then the hackers, who are usurped by Eater.

The hackers are the first villains, then GranDracmon and then Eater, who has gained sentience.

Which should I go with?

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    I don't think it necessarily matters which order they're in, but rather how your story arcs are structured. Think about what the first antagonist's role is and what their motives are, then give the next one a reason to show up.

The second scenario is closer to the typical Digimon formula, in that you have a seemingly smaller scaled villain or group of villains before the more powerful bad guys show up. If anything, your first scenario seems like it has more creative potential.

Either way, it's your story. Show us what you can do!

I'm going digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Follow SuperStarlite on DeviantArt Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel
    Basically what the dude above said.
    From a story standpoint, having the Hackers after GranDracmon implies that they're stronger than him, which is totally possibly, but you should think about how it all works, how the Hackers are a bigger threat, how it fits into the narrative.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Well, the hackers are overtaken by eater eventually and I plan on having him be the final boss,though GranDracmon seems like a potentially bigger threat.

On the side, could I ask for advice on protagonists?

Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Follow SuperStarlite on DeviantArt Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    Well, the hackers are overtaken by eater eventually and I plan on having him be the final boss,though GranDracmon seems like a potentially bigger threat.

I would gladly give advice, but I'd need to know more of the story. Like, what is the setting, what's the the feel you're aiming for?

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStarlite View Post

I would gladly give advice, but I'd need to know more of the story. Like, what is the setting, what's the the feel you're aiming for?
    Ok, it's still in the planning stages but here goes:

It takes inspiration an elements from Cyber Sleuth and Next World order. The digital world is similar to that of the latter and the ones in the adventure continuities while tone darker/more mature is like Cyber Sleuth and Tri.

I imagine I have around like 8 main characters, ages are around 17-19, six boys and two girls(might make it nine with 3 girls maybe). I'll start off with the dudes and I'll just list the mega forms of their partners for time convenience.

1. Protagonist, partner is Shinegreymon. Personality I am working on, don't want him to be stereotypically hot blooded and was thinking of having him be more like a 'good guy' protagonist but not overly good.

2. Second guy, MirageGaogamon is his partner. Not too sure on personality as I don't think I want him to be aloof or cold. He's calm but I feel like the first traits are stereotypical.

3. This one has Ravemon is his partner. I imagine he's more like perhaps the 'nice guy' of the group, though I want to make his personality distinct from my protagonist.

4. For him, Valkyrimon is his partner. I guess he's more like the fun or easygoing guy of the group(i.e Duo Maxwell from gundam).

5. He has Slayerdramon as his partner. I figured he would be kind of a hothead but I don't want him to be the annoying kind who does dumb stuff, give him hidden depths.

6. He has BlackWarGreymon. He's the one I have most trouble with so far. First, should I introduce him at the start or later? Second, I have no idea what to use for his personality. I feel aloof would be cliche.

Aside that, for a character to be the smart/wise one, should I combine that aspect with perhaps the nice one or give it someone else.

Here's the drawing board.

Replies are in BOLD.

1. Protagonist, partner is Shinegreymon. Personality I am working on, don't want him to be stereotypically hot blooded and was thinking of having him be more like a 'good guy' protagonist but not overly good. So, maybe a guy who tries to be the "good guy", but has maybe a lack of understanding of other people leading him to make decisions for others because he thinks that's what they want and he's being nice?

2. Second guy, MirageGaogamon is his partner. Not too sure on personality as I don't think I want him to be aloof or cold. He's calm but I feel like the first traits are stereotypical. Ah... I can't think of anything right now...
    3. This one has Ravemon is his partner. I imagine he's more like perhaps the 'nice guy' of the group, though I want to make his personality distinct from my protagonist. My suggestion, he is legitimately a nice guy, but he worries perhaps too much about other people and neglects himself in order to make others happy. Like, most of his day is taken up by assisting others and he's prone to go a bit hungry due to easily giving away his food.

4. For him, Valkyrimon is his partner. I guess he's more like the fun or easygoing guy of the group(i.e Duo Maxwell from gundam). All I can think is, like, maybe a sort of jokester guy, we haven't exactly had someone like that in Digimon before.

5. He has Slayerdramon as his partner. I figured he would be kind of a hothead but I don't want him to be the annoying kind who does dumb stuff, give him hidden depths. Answering a later question, I'd say give the "smart" role to this guy. He appears to be arrogant and hot-headed, but it's because he knows what the outcome of a situation is likely to be, and doesn't initially let on to what he's doing.

6. He has BlackWarGreymon. He's the one I have most trouble with so far. First, should I introduce him at the start or later? Second, I have no idea what to use for his personality. I feel aloof would be cliche. Again, no comment, sorry ;^-^

Aside that, for a character to be the smart/wise one, should I combine that aspect with perhaps the nice one or give it someone else.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Replies are in BOLD.

1. Protagonist, partner is Shinegreymon. Personality I am working on, don't want him to be stereotypically hot blooded and was thinking of having him be more like a 'good guy' protagonist but not overly good. So, maybe a guy who tries to be the "good guy", but has maybe a lack of understanding of other people leading him to make decisions for others because he thinks that's what they want and he's being nice?

2. Second guy, MirageGaogamon is his partner. Not too sure on personality as I don't think I want him to be aloof or cold. He's calm but I feel like the first traits are stereotypical. Ah... I can't think of anything right now...
    3. This one has Ravemon is his partner. I imagine he's more like perhaps the 'nice guy' of the group, though I want to make his personality distinct from my protagonist. My suggestion, he is legitimately a nice guy, but he worries perhaps too much about other people and neglects himself in order to make others happy. Like, most of his day is taken up by assisting others and he's prone to go a bit hungry due to easily giving away his food.

4. For him, Valkyrimon is his partner. I guess he's more like the fun or easygoing guy of the group(i.e Duo Maxwell from gundam). All I can think is, like, maybe a sort of jokester guy, we haven't exactly had someone like that in Digimon before.

5. He has Slayerdramon as his partner. I figured he would be kind of a hothead but I don't want him to be the annoying kind who does dumb stuff, give him hidden depths. Answering a later question, I'd say give the "smart" role to this guy. He appears to be arrogant and hot-headed, but it's because he knows what the outcome of a situation is likely to be, and doesn't initially let on to what he's doing.

6. He has BlackWarGreymon. He's the one I have most trouble with so far. First, should I introduce him at the start or later? Second, I have no idea what to use for his personality. I feel aloof would be cliche. Again, no comment, sorry ;^-^

1. Could you elaborate on the first part perhaps?

Replies are in BOLD.

1. On the side, I got advice that the BlackWarGreymon guy should have a strong sense of justice

2. I see, if the slayerdramon guy is the smart guy, I can work with that as it's a good subversion of the trope.
    Last edited by Vande; 10-12-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: double post merge

Alright, it's like, he tries to be the good guy right? So he hears from some person of some trouble or problem that's going down, so he goes to try to fix the problem, thinking that he knows whats wrong but he ends up seeming like a jerk(possibly) due to his ignorance.

Ain't got no mojo...

Alright, it's like, he tries to be the good guy right? So he hears from some person of some trouble or problem that's going down, so he goes to try to fix the problem, thinking that he knows whats wrong but he ends up seeming like a jerk(possibly) due to his ignorance.
    I see, well I think I have them worked out.

1. Protagonist is a good guy and for a while he's been quite dull in life due to an incident involving the digital world when he was younger and this new chance reignites his spark possibly. Well, I'm so sure on your suggestion as I don't want him to come across as too unlikeable perhaps.

2. This guy is calm and serious, somewhat aloof but a nice guy at heart despite being stoic. He has the most insight on situations.

3. He's the nice one, sort of like the big brother of group, knows what to say and listen to people and isn't much for fighting unless the situation calls for it.

4. He's an easygoing/carefree guy, a jokester like you said a bit.

5. He can be hotheaded and somewhat arrogant but this is due to his intelligence like you said, but he does learn from his mistakes as things go on and can accept criticism well.

6. He has a strong sense of justice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast