With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: The 3rd DVD-Box for Appmon is out! Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps, and Discussion!

The 3rd DVD-Box for Appmon is out! Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps, and Discussion!

The third Appmon DVD-Box is out!

It's been a few months since the second DVD-Box so it was about time for another to come out. The second DVD-Box continued the theme of a good, if not special release, with the only large issue continuing to be that the release is DVD only with no Blu-rays being available.

Appmon ended last week, but there are still a few things scheduled to come out that are interesting.

Lots of scanning but minimal editing on this one.

As normal, I won't be reviewing the show itself, just going over the actual DVD release.

Where appropriate text may be reused from prior reviews.

Any screencaps from the DVDs are lossless PNGs.

All images in the article are smaller copies from our gallery (to keep loading sizes smaller for everyone), but link to the full sized versions when clicked.

Scanning was done as high quality as I could do, and compressed and shrunk to reasonable sizes, along with reasonable quality JPG compression. I've explained my workflow in my personal thread and will answer any questions involving it or the processes used. Scanning generally went well with one exception which will be explained later...

First up will be all the physical stuff. Everything included with the DVD was scanned minus an instructional insert that was scanned with a prior release.

We start with.... an obi card!

This obi covers 3 sides completely and the bottom portion of the front, it's made from some decent card stock, and has all the information for the release. Much like the tri. discs, this means that once it's removed, the box is almost completely clean of random information.

The packaging for the discs themselves is a 'brick' style DVD case (also known as a fatpack.) A bit unique to see in a Japanese anime release, but not unheard of. I actually rather like this packaging style minus two things:
    1. It tends to mean less art than if you had separate cases for each disc.
    2. Because it's a pack with only one double sided 'disc page' inside, it means one of the discs is underneath the booklet.

The front and back cover for the DVD are relative simple.

The front cover (at the top of the article) is new artwork of the 5 kids and their Appmon in their Ultimate forms. This art is a bit more actiony with a bit less of the kids' individual personalities on display, but they still insert a few touches. Most notable for this cover is Yuujin now appears along with Offmon (evolved to Shutmon.)

The back cover basically emulated a smartphone interface with Appmon icons featuring various Appmon that appear in these episodes. The icons for the Applidrivers' Appmon in their Standard forms are in the dock at the bottom. This time the fifth slot is finally filled up on the dock!

Because it was an insert, I also was able to scan the side easily. It's just clean text along with a DVD-Box 3 at the bottom. While not new for this release, I still find it interesting how various bits of the DVD-Box use a very clean English logo instead of the normal Appmon logo.

The DVD-Box came with a very nice slipcover that covers 5 sides. The slipcover is a soft and glossy black paperstock, with Globemon drawn in blue foil.

For various reasons these scans did not come out well, so I spent minimal effort on editing them, as editing wouldn't have helped much. Having discussed potential ways to do these better after the last two, it appears for the time being the methods I have on hand will not work on this specific material (the method I know appears to work fine for metal, but not for this type of glossy paper with foil embedded in it.) I'll try one or two most things in the future.

As for why the scans came out wonky... basically the glossy paper reflects light in a way that makes scans come out poorly (to say nothing of showing every bit of dust and smudges from fingers.) The foil also reflects light so specifically that it just doesn't come out correctly.

The black is a nice inky black and the green foil is a a fantastic rich blue color, which unfortunately the scans don't show off well.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The official press image doesn't really show off the slipcover properly (especially the blue), but it's the closest thing we have to a clean image of it at the moment.

I still plan to try to do the slipcovers properly in the future, but it may just be a fact that even if I'm able to scan them properly, they very likely still won't look correct.

The four physical DVDs use the standard Appmon logo, along with a design that emulates a flat 3d surface (not unlike the old SNES Mode 7 to my eyes.)

The discs are roughly identical to the discs from Box 1 and 2.

Each disc has it's own color and part of the flat 3d motif actually is used in the next bit of scans...

A booklet was included.

The cover uses the Appmon logo, along with a nice digital design. It also specifies it as the book for DVD-Box 3 and includes the kids' and their Appmon (Ultimate grade) in silhouette.

The first two page spread goes over short story descriptions for the episodes on discs 1 and 2.

The second spread covers the episodes on discs 3 and 4.

The next spread goes over Yuujin, Offmon, Knight, and the Applidrives. Since these elements have a focus in these episodes, it makes sense to give us some information about these.

This spread is about Appmon that show up in episodes throughout the boxset.

This spread shows off the Ultimate 4: Charismon, Biomon, Fakemon, and Beautymon.

The back cover has cast and staff information for Appmon.

DVD-Box 3 included no ad inserts, but did include something. It did include a non-branded instructional sheet on playing DVDs, but since it was identical to prior sheets I did not scan it.

And that's it for the physical... onto the disc contents itself!

The video is encoded using MPEG2 at an average bitrate between roughly 6.6 and 7.1 Mb. This is reasonably decent for animated content, a bit below box 1 and roughly similar to box 2. Unlike the first box, I didn't do multiple sets of screencaps this time because the overall difference between filesize was minimal and shifts between episodes, rather than there being 2 'specific' types of encodes used. There may be minor difference between video quality, but I don't believe it's noticeable while watching, similar to box 2. The video for the episodes is encoded at 480p.

The video is encoded properly in anamorphic widescreen. The screencaps are provided stretched to the proper aspect ratio to emulate how they would appear during watching (raw screencaps from the DVD would not look correct.)

The DVDs are encoded at 30fps, but the pulldown was done properly, and any player should be able to reverse the pulldown to get clean 24fps playback.

Screencaps were taken from the second episode in the boxset, as the first episode was a clipshow. The average bitrate for this episode was smack in the middle of the range described above.

The audio is a 2.0 Dolby track at 448k. That's on the higher end of the scale for compressed DVD audio and everything sounds rather nice.

Each episode overall is 1.25 to 1.33 GB, which is generally good for DVD content (as mentioned above... these are roughly equivalent, or a touch lower, than the lower bitrate encodes from DVD-Box 1 and similar to DVD-Box 2.)

Everything above suggests a good DVD (which isn't always a given when dealing with Toei, who has had some modern show releases on DVD that simply stunk.)

No subtitles are included, which is expected.

The video quality overall is reasonably good, but I still wish the show had gotten a Blu-ray. The resolution bump, to say nothing of a much better video codec, would certainly have lead to a much richer picture all around.

Appmon looks about as good as could be expected for the show on DVD. Hopefully when the DVDs are done Toei will decide to do Blu-rays, as the clean art and very vivid cartoony colors would benefit.

The menus are basic, perhaps a touch overly basic (at least some music would have been nice.)

The menu is a static screen with a play all option, along with each episode. Disc 1 additionally has a special features button.

If you click All, it plays them all. If you click a specific episode, it pops up a tiny screencap and an episode title, you click again to play the episode. If you click SPECIAL it gives you a list of special features to play from. Simple but it works well.

While there is no chapter menus for the episodes, there are chapter markers everywhere you would want them to be on the episodes themselves.

Time for extras!

The extras this time around are:
    A clean OP for the second opening, Gatchen!
    A clean ED for the third ending, Little Pi.

Appmon DVD-Box 3 is a pretty good DVD release for Appmon, at a reasonable price considering some DVD prices in Japan. The extras are minimal, but not unexpected. The only real shame is that Appmon could really benefit from a Blu-ray release.

These 12 episodes continue on well from Box 1 and 2. It's a good release with simply no real issues. As mentioned above, Blu-rays would be nice, as would more extras, but there isn't anything to complain about here as Appmon continues along with a reasonably nice DVD release.

Only one box left...

Screencaps were taken largely at random while jumping around the first episode in the DVD-Box, which is episode 27 (although if I knew a moment was coming up I wanted a cap of, I'd wait.)

Screencaps from DVD-Box 3

The scans can all be found in the gallery.

The scans are very small compared to the master scans I did (the work and backup folder structure for the scans and screencaps is over 25 gigs.) I will try and make wallpapers if people are interested. If you want to see a specific screencap of something give me the episode and a rough timecode if you can.

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the CD.

If you have any questions about the release feel free to ask.

Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 3 is still available to order. In addition, Box 1 and 2 are still available, and 4 is announced and available to pre-order (Affiliate links.)

Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 1
    Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 2
    Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 3
    Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 4

Appmon is also receiving rental DVDs in Japan. The discs are being released (roughly) one a month, and the episode count per disc seems to match up with the consumer box release. We do not know if special features or video quality is different on these.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

At the time of writing this, one of the rental DVDs based on content from Box 3 has come out. It uses different art of Yuujin and Offmon than the DVD-Box 3 cover.

We should have a few more things soon for people to look at.

Images are hosted on our gallery and embedded on the forum, so let us know if anything is acting up.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    I expected Logamon to be at least in the booklets...(sighs)...