With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 121

Thread: Digimon Adventure tri. Part 6- Our Future in 2018

  1. #111
    Super Moderator TMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    10,473
    Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    They already did ask about the 02 kids, and we know what's up with Maicoomon. Maki told them the government was keeping an eye on Daisuke and company, and Maicoomon's going crazy because Apocalymon's data is in her.

  2. #112
    Ain't got no mojo...
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    17
    I'm hoping that we'll have some mention as to why meicoomon's egg looked like gatomon's and why it had to be hikari to cause the fusion and not meiko?

  3. #113
    Super Moderator TMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    10,473
    Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    While we don't know for sure why the egg looked like Tailmon's, some people have theorized (and I think it's a good theory) that the egg was supposed to be the same type as Tailmon's. I mean, considering Maicoomon's previous forms are a recolored Nyaromon and Plotmon, and the Adult form is a small, cat-like Digimon that eventually becomes an Ophan, the evolutionary difference between Meiko's partner and Hikari's could easily be due only to Apocalymon's data in the former.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

  4. #114
    I'm going digital
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    They already did ask about the 02 kids, and we know what's up with Maicoomon. Maki told them the government was keeping an eye on Daisuke and company, and Maicoomon's going crazy because Apocalymon's data is in her.
    That conversation between Maki and Yamato felt really vague to me, though -- beyond the vagueness of Japanese in general. I didn't even realize they were talking about the 02 kids until I re-watched the scene. Is it that hard for them to actually use their names?

    And yeah, the audience knows why Maicoomon is going crazy (as do Hackmon, Daigo, and Meiko's father), but if I recall, the kids themselves are still unaware of this connection to Apocalymon. I hope Movie 6 allows us to see the kids react to all of this important information (Apocalymon's connection, Daigo and Maki as tragic Original Chosen Children) because ideally, the audience should be experiencing these revelations through the lenses of the main characters.

  5. #115
    Junior Commander Vaioumon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    277
    I don't think the Apocalymon information is of that much importance, story-wise. Meicoomon's effect on the digital world is very different, and Apocalymon didn't make other digimon go berserk. While hearing it might give them some kind of temporary shock, it doesn't give them any clue how to beat it (probably). Honestly it could have been anything that made Meicoomon go nuts and it would have worked just as well. I like Tri a lot, but the more I think about it, the more that's just a flavorless callback.

  6. #116
    I come from the net Seymour Butz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,978
    Oh wait.

    I just realised MaiCoomonís helix thingies are like Apocalymonís tentacles. Huh.

  7. #117
    I come from the net Jay Ukyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaioumon View Post
    I don't think the Apocalymon information is of that much importance, story-wise. Meicoomon's effect on the digital world is very different, and Apocalymon didn't make other digimon go berserk. While hearing it might give them some kind of temporary shock, it doesn't give them any clue how to beat it (probably). Honestly it could have been anything that made Meicoomon go nuts and it would have worked just as well. I like Tri a lot, but the more I think about it, the more that's just a flavorless callback.
    You know what it DOES do, though? It ties the events of tri directly to the outcome of Adventure. It makes it more solidly a sequel. It also explains the source of the Darkness. It's literally a fragment of the embodiment of Suffering inside of Maicoomon. I wouldn't call that meaningless.

    It also sheds a little light on the actions of Homeostasis. Its job is maintain balance. Apocalymon was throwing the balance all out of whack, but COMPLETELY deleting him would have probably swung things too far in the other direction. That's why the judgment call was 'well, since the fragment found a human partner, maybe that'll keep things under control enough'. (Also, not sure if Homeostasis can feel guilt, but I know I'd certainly feel kinda guilty about killing Apocalymon in the first place, who himself is already a collection of dead babies crying.)

    There's also the fact that there's some precedent for pieces of Apocalymon finding their way into causing trouble again. Remember the Battle of Adventurers movie? We aren't sure who that Omegamon belongs to, but we're explicitly told that Mephistomon is remnants of data from a defeated Apocalymon. You can argue 'separate continuities, doesn't mean anything' and that's fine. But even if it isn't canon, there is a 100% chance it was meant to made the AUDIENCE recall that event. But whatever, ignore this bit if you want, it's not the important point.

    I dunno, it's just that calling it a meaningless call-back seems disingenuous when it took me like 5 minutes to come up with several paragraphs of text on why it actually adds layers to the story.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

  8. #118
    Junior Commander Vaioumon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    277
    Well, yes, but it would have worked just as well if it was Vamdemon, or Demon, or Armageddemon, or Milleniummon, or a dark spore, or a black gear, etc. My point isn't that namedropping Apocalymon isn't "cool" or doesn't connect to the rest of the series, it's that it doesn't (so far) have anything to do with what's being shown. Hence "flavorless". I apologize if that seems rude towards the series, but that's just how I see it.

  9. #119
    I come from the net Jay Ukyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,070
    I mean, it -could- have worked with any of those other similar demon-like antagonists (or antagonist tools), but they chose Apocalymon because he was the endpoint of Adventure. And it's notable that using any of those others would have produced a slightly different narrative. Vamdemon's theme is always about having a vendetta. Demon is about Pride. Armageddemon is a mindless rampaging beast. Milleniumon is obsessive over his Tamer.

    Apocalymon is the embodiment of suffering, and that colors how we perceive its effect on Meicoomon, for better or worse. (I lean towards better.)
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

  10. #120
    Junior Commander Jaybird C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaVersus View Post
    That conversation between Maki and Yamato felt really vague to me, though -- beyond the vagueness of Japanese in general. I didn't even realize they were talking about the 02 kids until I re-watched the scene. Is it that hard for them to actually use their names?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaioumon View Post
    I don't think the Apocalymon information is of that much importance, story-wise. Meicoomon's effect on the digital world is very different, and Apocalymon didn't make other digimon go berserk.
    Is it ever established that whatever's assumed control of all the Digimon is MaiCoomon's power? (All the Digimon except the Partners, anyway, because reasons). It seems to me that it could just as easily be Yggdrasil or Homeostasis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    You know what it DOES do, though? It ties the events of tri directly to the outcome of Adventure. It makes it more solidly a sequel. It also explains the source of the Darkness. It's literally a fragment of the embodiment of Suffering inside of Maicoomon. I wouldn't call that meaningless.
    Eh, I'm with Vaioumon. MaiCoomon has exhibited none of Apocalymon's actual characteristics except for oblique and referential design patterns on her body. She hasn't used any of his powers or made reference to Digimon who were unable to Digivolve. That every aspect of Apocalymon within her is completely fungible with some other vague and generic manifestation of the Darkness only makes him a narrative excuse. It has exactly as much significance as Daigo being one of the First Chosen when his actual character arc has almost nothing to do with that status except to excuse his involvement.

    Hell, you could say MaiCoomon has a chunk of Demon's power in her, and that would just as easily justify her effect on the interdimensional boundaries, because he could tear open gates at will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    There's also the fact that there's some precedent for pieces of Apocalymon finding their way into causing trouble again. Remember the Battle of Adventurers movie? We aren't sure who that Omegamon belongs to, but we're explicitly told that Mephistomon is remnants of data from a defeated Apocalymon. You can argue 'separate continuities, doesn't mean anything' and that's fine. But even if it isn't canon, there is a 100% chance it was meant to made the AUDIENCE recall that event.
    A 100% chance that MaiCoomon is referential to a throwaway line from an obscure movie from a different series? Or a 100% chance that Omegamon's talk of Apocalymon is meant to put the Tamers' audience in mind of Adventure?
    It's all part of the mystery or whatever.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •