With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-1 Tamers Character Art

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook

D-1 Tamers Character Art

Vande rediscovered this image the other day and shared it on the With the Will Discord. I hadn't seen it before and thought that it was very interesting, so I thought I'd share it here. Unfortunately, neither Vande nor anyone else we talked to has any idea where the image came from (or even whether it's official, though it certainly appears to be). It shows Ryo, a young Ken and Daisuke, and Osamu, as well as some of the NPC Tamers from D-1 Tamers that have never appeared in anything else.

The characters are labeled, and someone's gone to the effort of translating their names. Here's Syldra's page for the game's exclusive Tamers, who consist of six sprites/faces that are given various names and roles. Oddly, the character labeled Genki in this image seems to have been misnamed by the artist. In the game, according to Syldra, Genki is the name of one of Kazuya's clones, while this kid with the scar should have been named Tsuyoshi, Sid, Tommy, or Akiyoshi. Also note that the character some person labeled "Satoshi or Naomi" is actually the blue-haired kid (Jack/Taiki/George/Kei/Kensuke). Intriguingly, this appears to be only one page of a two-page spread. Some of the text is cut off (including the blue-haired kid's name), and a sixth character isn't pictured (a girl with "twin-tails" and glasses, one of whose iterations is the actual Naomi).

If anyone has any idea where this scan came from or is willing to translate the visible text (which might itself give us a clue), please let us know.

For now, here's a few fun facts about the characters pictured.

RIEKO
    The second of Ryo's Tamer opponents in the tournament. They're in the lowest grade at the time, Grade 5, along with Koshiro and Kazuya. Her Digimon are a Tsunomon and a Poyomon.

GENKI
    The game's Genki (a Kazuya clone) battles Ryo in the highest grade, Grade 1 (as do Taichi and Hiroyuki), and has a SkullSatamon, Vamdemon, and Raremon. Of the Tamers who use the character design pictured here, only one, Tsuyoshi, has a speaking role, being rather rude to Ryo throughout the game. The only Tsuyoshi clone that Ryo battles is Sid in Grade 4 (the grade Ryo battles Wallace in), who has a RedVegiemon, Pyocomon, and Poyomon.

HIROYUKI
    A Tamer Ryo battles in Grade 1 (before Genki and Taichi) who has a Megadramon, Giromon, and Choromon.

KAZUYA
    The only one of these four characters with much of a personality in the game. When he first meets Ryo before the tournament, he says he looks kind of weak (which is funny to imagine coming from this kid), but he's the first Tamer Ryo defeats in Grade 5. After that he develops a grudging respect for Ryo that increases dramatically as Ryo progresses through the stages of the tournament. His Digimon are a Koromon and a PetitMeramon.

Another seeming "mistake" in this image is that all the characters are pictured with D-3s, when at the time of the tournament everyone should have had the original Digivice (except for Ryo, I guess, and maybe Ken). Daisuke, of course, had no Digivice at all at that point.
    Last edited by TMS; 09-26-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I know this image since years. I always thought it comes from a doujin. I'm pretty sure there was a cover art of it floating somewhere in the Internet. I think (though I might be wrong) you can find it on Syldra (or however it was called, the one about Ryou and WS/WSC games) webpage.

Thanks for translation, though.

Edit: Apparently you mentioned Syldra. This is what happens when you look at a picture only, and don't read the wall of text .
    Last edited by Nemomon; 09-27-2017 at 02:23 AM.
    Speedy like wind, gradually like forest, aggressively like fire, immovably like mountain, secretly like shadow, actively like thunder.

Add KaenKazui on DeviantArt Add KaenKazui on Google+
    I actually know where the picture comes from. With the help of two Japanese friends I did some digging.

It comes from a Ryou-Fanbook that was released by a Doujinshi Circle in Japan some time in the early 2000s. (I think it was 2001.)
    It contained several short stories, illustrations and short Doujinshi and later got a "sequel".
    Sadly by now the website of the Doujinshi circle is offline.

While I had some more scans from it on my old PC, I tried for years to get my hand on that fanbook, but never managed. The two times I saw it pop up online the seller would not ship it to Germany.

So yeah. It is actually not official. Sadly I do not remember the name of the fanbook, but maybe you might find it on Rakuten or Yahoo auctions, if lucky.

Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel Add Xadhoom on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    So yeah. It is actually not official.
    That would explain Ahoge!Rei from Evangelion being in it.

Yes, we discussed this image frequently in these forum any time somebody talked about Ryo and other Tamers.

Thanks for the info guys! The solution was a lot easier to find than I thought it would be. Even though it's a doujin, the artist did an excellent job of capturing the Digimon art style. I'd still be interested in seeing/learning more of this.There's probably a lot of interesting stuff in Digimon doujin, but unfortunately the only ones available online are, you know, *those* kind of doujin.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

Completely digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel Add SuperStarlite on DeviantArt
    All these guys grouped together, they look like they could be the main characters of their own season, hahah.

Hmm... I just checked my photobucket account, and found some images of it that were next to the image from the opening post. I have no idea to whom these images belong to, or where did I find them, or even if they're related to this one above at all, but maybe they will help you. Though, personally I would love to find this whole doujin(s) myself, because the art in it is really good.

EDIT: Spoiler tag doesn't work. At least for me. Any good soul can edit it, and make it working if they wish.
    Last edited by Nemomon; 09-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Speedy like wind, gradually like forest, aggressively like fire, immovably like mountain, secretly like shadow, actively like thunder.

Hmm... Those covers look like they might be related, since only D-1 Tamers characters show up in the images. The English scans look like they might be from the manhua adaptation of 02 (a localization of it), but I can't confirm that. Given the jokes and dub terms it might be the TokyoPop version.
    Last edited by TMS; 09-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    MY PROJECTS

Add KaenKazui on DeviantArt Add KaenKazui on Google+
    Yes. That's the cover from the fanbook.

The comic pages are not from it, though. They are from the manhua, as TMS said.

BTW. The entire fanbook thing is also the reason why Osamu and Daisuke are both in picture even though they do not appear in the game. ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast