With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site Updates, Patreon, and Discord... Oh My!

Site Updates, Patreon, and Discord... Oh My!

It's time for a "what's going on" type post.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

With the site getting more traffic, more stuff to do, and lots more to talk about, it was time for a handful of updates, changes, and new things!

First up...

Patreon.

The cost of running the site has gone up over the years. On top of that there has been importing stuff to breakdown. And truthfully, we want to do more. We want to do more breakdowns and scans, we want to do high quality images of more products, make upgrades to improve things, and simply do more.

A number of people recommended (over a reasonably long period) that they thought the best way to fund the site was Patreon, and after talking to various other people who use Patreon, it really did seem like the best idea as far a more formal way to support the site goes.

We've set up numerous goals and rewards, most of which are based around our most valuable commodity, time.

Based on how you guys like these we may look into adding more, but I believe everything listed is a great place to start with.

Of course, our Paypal will stay open for anyone who simply wishes to donate.

Second up...

Discord.

People have asked for a more modern WtW chat setup for chatting about Digimon. We looked at various options (Discord, Slack, bringing back the forum integrated Flashchat) but Discord seemed the best idea for our needs, especially since a number of Digimon fans already use it for numerous things.

We've never been bothered moving and changing software and other elements if it can improve the experience for everyone (the 2 months of downtime moving from SMF to VBulletin a number of years ago really did improve everything I think.)

We look forward to seeing you all there to chat about Digimon and anything else of interest to you.

We're starting off with a just a few rooms until things settle, seeing how many people show up, and what the actual needs of the users are.

We won't be getting rid of our IRC chat, as a number of users quite enjoy it. In the future we may add Discord/IRC integration as another room in the Discord, but for now these will be separate things.

Site Updates...

Despite the increased traffic, the site has been holding up relatively well (with the occasional issue.)

When tri. Part 4 came out, we actually hit our highest concurrent user number ever, 650.

The gallery has been stable and had frequent updates. When there is more time, I hope to move over old breakdowns and other materials, and hopefully get to tagging more images.

And of course, we've added a new row of social and media buttons underneath the site banner. We think we've integrated these into the look of the site well, without being garish. Historically part of the issue we've had with donations is, people don't even notice we have buttons for it, as usability has always been at the top of the list.

We think these have a nice center ground of being visible and prominent without being annoying. And there is room for more if we think of anything that needs one.

There is lots more to do, and lots more to consider...

Potentially updating site imagery.
    Look at potential forum upgrades.
    And a number of other fun things for the future.

I hope the new things starting today will be a good start for the future of With the Will and all of you that hang around the site.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Add Velocifaptor on Google+ Add Velocifaptor on Steam Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel
    I, for one am certainly digging the new feel these buttons add to the site. If and when I happen to earn a bit of money, I'll definitely donate to support WtW. Stay awesome, DigiDudes!

the digivice and title going to be part of a new banner as I really do like the look of it.

Ain't got no mojo... Mild At Heart's Avatar
    Oh nice! It's all looking good! Thanks for all your guys' hard work.
    Relemon is objectively the pinnacle of Digimon designs, there is no arguing this. It's perfect.

Minor question, but is the digivice going to eventually be the favicon?

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv7Fam View Post
    Minor question, but is the digivice going to eventually be the favicon?
    There are many things to do and consider.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    Image Thumbnail (custom)
    That's a beautiful logo, I have to say. Modern sleek meets vintage pixel. I agree that if a version of that Digivice were to be modified into a custom favicon, that would be pretty cool. Looking around at the current releases, it still has that nice WtW feel and- wait, there's a WtW Twitter?! Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

My only comment is that it appears that the new icons and the user / settings line appear to be on different rows, possibly with an additional row in between (I may just be noticing this more as I'm mostly restricted to my laptop at current). Are there complications in having them on the same row (i.e. a short left and right column)? Wait, I stand corrected, I have another minor comment that's related. Would it be easy to get the user / settings line right-aligned with the banner? I just noticed that the left side has two sets of alignment while the right has three. Oop, minor as well, but I just noticed that the buttons use different aspect ratios. Hypothetically easy, what about making them the same?

But of course, I'm excited to see what the coming attractions are. It's definitely cool seeing where we're going, especially as one of the old fogies who's been around for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhikan634 View Post
    My only comment is that it appears that the new icons and the user / settings line appear to be on different rows, possibly with an additional row in between (I may just be noticing this more as I'm mostly restricted to my laptop at current). Are there complications in having them on the same row (i.e. a short left and right column)?
    There are indeed complications to having them lined up with the user/settings line.

Would it be easy to get the user / settings line right-aligned with the banner? I just noticed that the left side has two sets of alignment while the right has three.
    They aren't right aligned to the banner because a number of people don't run their browser full screen, in that case, because of the theme not being 100% a resizing theme, the banner can potentially go off screen, the settings line is based on browser size.

Oop, minor as well, but I just noticed that the buttons use different aspect ratios. Hypothetically easy, what about making them the same?
    We chose to have different sizes to maximize the icon sizes on the buttons based on the icons themselves having their own formatting (rather than forcing matching by shrinking the size of a few of them, which would create differences in looks anyways.)

I come from the net
    Ok. Subscribed to Youtube. Already following on Twitter. If I had money, I'd donate.

Ain't got no mojo...

It's technically digimon

So what about the banner on the website with all the final forms of the protag's digimon, will you be adding Gaiamon now??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast