With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon V-Pet fangame for PC (alpha)

Ohh maybe it's the immunity then. Didn't know about that, good to know!

What does enthusiasm do and why do we ideally want to keep it at 0?

So long as it's actually working.

Enthusiasm affects mood when it changes each hour and when you exercise. Each hour, your mood decreases according to the absolute value of the Digimon's current enthusiasm divided by 2. And when you train, your enthusiasm is added to your mood. So you want it to stay close to 0 for the hourly mood change, but enthusiasm is added normally to mood when you exercise.

The idea is a kind of stress-like mechanic. The more you exercise, the more enthusiasm decreases. But if you don't exercise, enthusiasm increases to max. Since mood is decreased by enthusiasm's absolute value, staying close to 0 will result in the least decrease in mood. So you could say that low enthusiasm represents stress and high enthusiasm represents restlessness or boredom. In that same vein, when you exercise while bored, the Digimon's mood will increase more because it appreciates it more. But when exercising while stressed, its mood will decrease.

Enthusiasm changes every hour according to energy while awake, and will try to reach 0 while asleep. While awake, it increases by 1 if energy is greater than 1/3 and decreases by 1 if less than 1/3. It increases or decreases by 1 while asleep.

Highest enthusiasm is 10 and lowest is -10. You can also use certain items and food to affect enthusiasm. Enthusiasm can be monitored by observing how often the Digimon uses different sprites during its idle animation. The less variation, the lower its enthusiasm.
    Last edited by theundersigned; 09-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theundersigned View Post
    Another long, detailed, thought out, and easy to understand response that I really appreciate
    Ah I see! So then theoretically Fish raises your digimon's stress and Meat makes your digimon restless? Good to know all that!
    So you could in theory feed Fish and then train to boost Mood more if I'm reading that right?
    Last edited by Anomalocaritchi; 09-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Pretty much. Fish increases enthusiasm and meat decreases enthusiasm but increases mood more. It's just a little semi-hidden mechanic I wanted to use to give the Digimon more character. I suppose for people who know about it, it also gives them another avenue to manipulate mood.

Oh whoops, shouldn't have mentioned it then! Sorry! I can tag it spoilers
    I also had that backwards! I thought fish decreased enthusiasm and meat increased it! But I see I was wrong

Sorry, I didn't mean that it's some kind of "spoiler." Just that I think sometimes mechanics that don't explicitly tell you their values bring more character to games. I was trying to justify why players can't normally see how high or low enthusiasm is.

I understand! Still I like that too, so now people can see the mechanics if they want to, but don't have to see them!

Ain't got no mojo...
    link is dead? not loading here

The link seems fine.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm44 View Post
    link is dead? not loading here
    Just double checked it on my end as well, all loading fine. Maybe it was a temp glitch?

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 ... LastLast