With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Digimon V-Pet fangame for PC (alpha)

Ain't got no mojo...
    So, since my Gesomon digivolved into MarineDevimon, the decrease in obedience has stopped, but i recall it being about 2/perhour. His mood about 220, so i dont think it was depression or anything. Maybe it had something to do with being Eager or being a champion level. I'll be sure to keep a closer eye for in the future!

I've done the edit, will let you know how it feels after a bit of gameplay.
    I appreciate the quick response!

Hm. 2 per hour sounds regular enough for it to be the hourly obedience change. I don't understand why it would happen while asleep though. Whether it's an adult or perfect shouldn't matter, so I'm stumped.

When I tested it, an adult Digimon's obedience wasn't decreasing while asleep with an eager personality, so I don't know what happened. Let me know if it happens again, and send me the save file too if you think of it. My email is in the changelog text file in the game's folders.
    Last edited by theundersigned; 08-18-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Hi everyone. As a nostalgic player of the original vpet and Digimon World PSX, I literally fell in love with this game. I look forward for the mobile version, since unfortunately I don't have much time to play it on pc.
    However, there is something that is causing me a little distress while playing: the save/load function. I mean, the fact that you can save the game in every second, and just close it if you do something wrong, then load it again and go on playing like nothing happened. This makes it more like a console-game running on emulator than a real v-pet, and it diminishes the "realistic" experience created by the awesome AI system. In fact I find myself saving the game every 10 seconds, always worrying I'm about to do some mistake (which happens quite often, since the frequent and in part random occurring of injuries and tiredness). Therefore, I want to ask if the save function will remain like it is now even in the final version of the game. Thank you.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I've tried my best to make fatigue and injury as controllable as possible. Fatigue, for example, occurs when you reach maximum strength. The closer you get to the maximum, the more tired sprites the Digimon will use in its walk cycle.

Injury can be completely negated with a vitamin, being healthy, and being at a healthy weight. The main influencers of injury are weight, whether you're sick/injured/geriatric/fatigued, losing a battle and how badly a battle is lost, and training in the attribute the Digimon is vulnerable to (None attributes have no vulnerability).

If you're still having trouble with injury, let me know what's happening. I'll see if I can readdress the numbers for better balance.

Could you explain a bit more about how you think the saving system could change?

Ain't got no mojo... Anomalocaritchi's Avatar
    Just saw the latest updates! Free battles are such a good idea! I love the entire concept! Letting the little ones go out and fight on their own to get stronger! Cute!

I'm also very excited about the Family Tree being implemented! I'll letcha know if I see any bugs!

In the Habitat default shop you can buy the Town Background for free, but when you use it the screen fuzzes out grey until you change backgrounds.
    Last edited by Anomalocaritchi; 08-19-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by theundersigned View Post
    Could you explain a bit more about how you think the saving system could change?
    I imagined something like an autosave. Because it's too easy to just shut down the game when you mess up something, it ruins the realistic experience a bit. For example, often I think "well, now I do one more training, if the digimon gets fatigued I just quit the game and then reload it and avoid the care mistake". That's good for the lazy players but bad for the game experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Anomalocaritchi View Post
    In the Habitat default shop you can buy the Town Background for free, but when you use it the screen fuzzes out grey until you change backgrounds.
    That bug must have been there for a good while. It worked fine on my Digimon with all habitats purchased when I first tested it after making the town background. I never thought to test it on one without any habitats or with only a few habitats purchased though. Oops. Thanks for catching that. It should be fixed now. I had to rethink how I displayed backgrounds in sequence, however, so hopefully I didn't break something else habitat-related. But everything seems okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Meramonburning View Post
    I imagined something like an autosave. Because it's too easy to just shut down the game when you mess up something, it ruins the realistic experience a bit. For example, often I think "well, now I do one more training, if the digimon gets fatigued I just quit the game and then reload it and avoid the care mistake". That's good for the lazy players but bad for the game experience.
    You make a good point. I'll get started on figuring autosaves out soon. My biggest concern is accidentally corrupting files because something happens while the program is trying to save every x minutes. I could make a separate backup file that I replace the normal save file with when you save and exit, but if you force the game to close the original file will never have been replaced by the backup. You'd have to load games using whatever the backup file's name is or rename the backup file manually and delete the old one to get everything nice looking again.

Hm. I'm sure it's an issue that's been solved before. I'll just have to do some research.
    Last edited by theundersigned; 08-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Your game is fantastic. I've already put a few hours into it, and so far I'm enjoying it a lot! That being said, have you considered moving the clock to its own screen? The clock is a really important element for a vpet, and it feels inconvenient for it to be buried in the stats screen.

I'm glad you like it! Just a hint, but if you right click the screen it will move the menus in reverse order. It's a little roundabout, but it at least makes the clock only one screen away instead of several.

I'm not sure where I'd put a button for the clock, though. I'm kind of running out of room.

Oh! It hadn't occured to me to try that! I will definitely be using that from now on then.

I understand. Everything looks good how it is right now, and you don't want to give it that cluttered feeling. The right click is definitely helpful, but it admittedly feels a bit confusing for someone new. I may have missed it, but it may do well just to add that information to your instructions.