With Part 5 out in a few weeks thought I'd do a new version of this... A day or two before each part of Digimon Adventure tri. has come out I've gotten messages from people wondering how to watch it on their television without plugging a computer into their TV.

I expect many of you have your own setups, but a few of you out there might appreciate a little help.

This will be a short guide to help you if you don't have a setup prepared to watch Crunchyroll on your television.

I'm not being paid to write this, nor was I contacted by Crunchyroll to do this. We've just had a number of WtW members over the past two years who needed help, and I felt a guide would probably be a good idea.

We're sticking to Crunchyroll because while tri. also has shown up on Hulu and Daisuki, both of those are problematic primarily because... they haven't had tri. added until later each time. Also, Daisuki is in the midst of shutting down, and very possibly won't add Part 5 at all.

With Digimon Adventure tri. Part 5 coming out on September 30th in Japan (Friday, September 29th for most of us in the west) there is enough time to think things over and setup things properly without rushing.

The first and most simple thing to check- Do you have something that can already allow you to do this?

Is your TV a Smart TV? Does it have Crunchyroll listed in their app store/platform? Or does it accept casting from your phone or tablet? It's worth checking to look.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Do you have a video game system that came out in the last 12 years? Check their digital store, there is probably a Crunchyroll app for it (minus the Switch.)

If the answer to these is no, then you will need an external media box.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Many people already have one of these, so it's possible you will just need to install Crunchyroll on it. If you have a Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, or any number of other media box devices, you'll just need to do the same as above. Check the app/platform store and see if it has Crunchyroll in it.

If the answer is still no, you probably want to find something you can buy relatively quickly.

I'm not going to go in depth on why you might want a Roku, or an Apple TV, an Android TV device, or one of the other options and the differences between the different platforms (and even different players by the same company) but for the purposes of this guide, we're going for 'will work, will be reliable, will be cheap.' If you buy on your own be aware that not every media box will have Crunchyroll on it. Feel free to ask questions if you want to know further options (as an example, what advantages a more deluxe and expensive Roku or Apple TV may have.)

Image Thumbnail (custom)

For the majority of people looking right now, you want a Roku Express (affiliate link), which is quite affordable at $30 (and $25 on sale at the time this begin written.) This will connect to any modern TV via an HDMI cable (which is included in the box), connect to your Wi-Fi easily, and will allow you to login to your Crunchyroll account. In addition Roku has one of the largest selections of video apps, so the device will be useful when tri. Part 5 is over.

If you are plugging into an older TV and need composite video (the yellow plug, with red and white plugs for audio), you'll want the Roku Express+ (affiliate link.) Roku left the composite jacks off the base model Express to allow it to be cheaper. Otherwise both Express models are the same. The version of the Express+ on Amazon is refurbished, it appears in recent months they've moved new Express+ stock to be exclusive to Wal-Mart, so it may be worth checking at one near you if you need composite video.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Getting the device setup will be very easy, and the Roku will walk you through the steps. Once setup, go to their 'Channel Store' and install Crunchyroll. You'll want to go login to the app which will allow you to bookmark shows to watch later, and will give you access to HD feeds if you pay for Crunchyroll.

If you don't pay for Crunchyroll, you'll want to track down a guest pass from a friend right before tri. Part 5 is released on Crunchyroll. If you skip subscribing or using a guest pass, you will be limited to SD video feeds, and will have to wait to watch tri., as it's on a delay for free users.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

We expect tri. Part 5 to show up early on Friday September 29th, so if you don't have a setup prepared for Crunchyoll, you'll want to get it prepped ahead of time. Crunchyroll's announcement that they have it generally comes extremely late, 2 days before it'll be up to watch, to right before time to watch.

Also be aware late fall is when many companies release new media boxes, so don't be shocked if new devices show up between this going up, and tri. actually starting (as an example, the Tuesday after this goes up Apple may be announcing a new TV device.)

If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask in this thread and we will do our best to help you get setup. You can also feel free to message me in our Chatroom, Aim, or wherever else if you need more help.