With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

View Poll Results: Have a Favourite Arc?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Devimon Arc

    6 12.77%
  • Etemon Arc

    6 12.77%
  • Vamdemon Arc

    26 55.32%
  • Dark Masters Arc

    13 27.66%
  • Kaiser Arc

    5 10.64%
  • Archemon Arc

    4 8.51%
  • Dark Seeds Arc

    4 8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: How Would You Rank the "Adventure" Arcs?

  1. #31
    I'm a Maniac DBxDigimon_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Man... the fight scenes in Digimon are not exactly super-exciting. Unless you consider 90% stock footage and characters yelling attack names to be some kind of dadaist artform.

    I'm glad someone gets so much enjoyment out of 02, but it kinda feels like you're trying to defend the weaker parts of the series while purposefully ignoring the parts of the writing that are actually decent? Just trying to be contrary, perhaps? I can see the appeal of disagreeing with the mass consensus, at least.
    Who said the Archnemon arc isn't well written? If you say so, that's all well and good but you feel that way while perhaps others don't feel the same way. Js

    Maybe I feel like the Archnemon arc is more enjoyable than an arc you feel is "decent." It doesn't have to mean I'm "ignoring" the ones you like more, I'm just responding to comments you made about an arc that I like. And just because you didn't like them as much as I did doesn't make them "weaker." I saw your post about your opinions of your favourite arcs too, and I can see you have different interests in Digimon. You watch the characters and how they develop more than a lot of other things. We aren't going to agree, because we watch for different reasons. But that doesn't mean you should call me a contrarian like I don't have any reasons behind my opinion, I felt like that was pretty rude of you. If you read the OP you'll notice I do have reasons to like 02 and I do have reasons for the arcs I like; but you'll also note I don't hate any of the arcs. I think Digimon Adventure is a really solid kids' show, including but not limited to 02. Thank you very much.

    As for the fights, I understand they're not exactly like the ones in Dragon Ball or Gundam but when I was a kid I had nothing to compare them to and so I thought they were cool. Never was much of a TV/movie kid in general. Anyways, the ones in season 1 are seemed shorter. The enemy appears, a digimon evolved, one-shots the enemy. But for the bigger, more main enemies yeah they were a lot more complex. But most of the fights in 02, particularly later in the season, were longer and contained more than one attack and the enemy dies. Again, I'm not saying they're the most epic fights of all time or anything but I'm also not comparing these fights to anything else other than other Digimon Adventure fights. It would be silly to compare them to other TV show fights.

  2. #32
    Junior Commander
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    353
    I'm generally a 02 fan but I think it's quite clear that the series didn't have the best writing. The tone kind of jumps around and the overall pacing isn't great. Then again it's not that different from Adventure itself on that regard, but you can tell that a lot of people worked on/contributed to 02 and it sort of suffers from too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen.

    I love 02 because I like the four 02 kids a whole lot, and I'm really into the Oikawa storyline, but I think it's important to be able to address the weaknesses of things that you love.

    For example, I love Power Rangers Turbo. It's a weak and inconsistent season when it comes to the plot/writing, but it had enough going for it to make me really invested as a fan.

    It just kind of sounds odd when you say just agreeing to disagree is the only option because you guys watch Digimon for different reasons when that's a follow-up to whether or not an arc is written well. If you don't care about writing/characterization, how can you say one arc is written better than any other?

    FWIW, it's not silly to compare the fights in Digimon to fights from other kids' anime, especially other Toei titles. Maybe you had nothing to compare them to as a kid, but you can do so today if you choose.

  3. #33
    I come from the net Jay Ukyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    1,748
    I apologize for offending you by insinuating you didn't have reasons for your opinions.

    I still think that your opinions on BWG are the complete opposite of good storytelling. And Digimon fight scene animation is not something I could consider, in good conscience, 'quality'. These are so fundamentally self-evident to me that I do not understand why you would defend them. Your previous posts don't really clarify it.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

  4. #34
    I'm a Maniac DBxDigimon_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaVersus View Post
    It just kind of sounds odd when you say just agreeing to disagree is the only option because you guys watch Digimon for different reasons when that's a follow-up to whether or not an arc is written well. If you don't care about writing/characterization, how can you say one arc is written better than any other?FWIW, it's not silly to compare the fights in Digimon to fights from other kids' anime, especially other Toei titles. Maybe you had nothing to compare them to as a kid, but you can do so today if you choose.
    Sure, I could but I made a Digimon Adventure thread on a Digimon board; other kids' shows seem irrelevant to the topic at hand. And like I said, as an adult I'm still watching it for the reasons I watched it as a kid since its a kids' show and not really made to tailor to adult interests.
    .
    Also, there is no objective "well written" and "badly written." That's why I said we can just agree to disagree to that. Because I obviously don't agree with you that its badly written but at the same time respect your opinion that it is. Literally thought that could go without saying, but then I remembered this is an internet forum... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    I still think that your opinions on BWG are the complete opposite of good storytelling. And Digimon fight scene animation is not something I could consider, in good conscience, 'quality'. These are so fundamentally self-evident to me that I do not understand why you would defend them. Your previous posts don't really clarify it.
    And that's fine. I don't really think we have to agree and I'm not trying to convince you to change how you think. We all live and die with our stupid opinions.
    Last edited by DBxDigimon_fan; 09-14-2017 at 01:54 PM.

  5. #35
    Ain't got no mojo... Fontes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Brasil
    Age
    22
    Posts
    4
    I finished my rewatch on 02 three days ago and I have a new order for the last 3 spots on my list. (9 was BlackWarGreymon Arc episodes 30 to 37; 10 was Christmas arc episodes 38 to 42 and 11 and last was Demon Corps Arc episodes 43 to 45)

    Demon Corps is clearly superior than both these arcs and I actually enjoy the Christmas one more than BlackWarGreymon Arc, (I still pretty much like his character) so:

    9 - Demon Corps Arc
    10 - Christmas Arc (remains the same spot)
    11 - BlackWarGreymon Arc

  6. #36
    Junior Commander
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    353
    But how can you form an opinion on whether or not the writing is "good" if you're saying you're only really interested in Digimon for its action scenes?

  7. #37
    I'm a Maniac DBxDigimon_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    164
    When did I say I like it only for the action? I have used the fights as an example but I've made my opinion clear in the OP. So I'm not interested in the characters or their development. Is it really that big of a problem I watch for different reasons than you?

  8. #38
    Junior Commander
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by DBxDigimon_fan View Post
    When did I say I like it only for the action? I have used the fights as an example but I've made my opinion clear in the OP. So I'm not interested in the characters or their development. Is it really that big of a problem I watch for different reasons than you?
    This is starting to really vex me, so please let me be perfectly clear by breaking this up into different numbered points:

    1) "So I'm not interested in the characters or their development." -- If you are not interested in the characters or the development, then you have NO business having an opinion about which arc has better or worse writing because writing relates to characters and their development. This would be like if I were to say "I have no interest in the action scenes of Digimon, but (insert arc here) had some amazing action scenes." Your opinion is uninformed. Sure, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously. So which is it? If you're not interested in the characters or their development, then you can't say which arc has better or worse writing...and if you think some arcs have better or worse writing than others, then you officially DO have some level of interest in the characters and how they develop, because Digimon is actually very character-driven in many places. I want to be as clear as possible here so I will repeat myself: if you're not interested in the characters or their development like you just said, then HOW CAN YOU FORM AN OPINION ABOUT THE WRITING? You haven't answered this question yet. On what basis are you judging the writing if you don't care about what the writing is producing? (This is ignoring the fact that there ARE objectives bases on which to judge writing quality -- it is mostly a subjective experience but there are objective elements, as well, such as examining plot structure, character motivations, plot holes, consistency, whether or not a story has a clear beginning/middle/end, etc.)

    2) "Is it really that big of a problem I watch for different reasons than you?" -- No. I don't care if you watch for different reasons than I do. This has absolutely nothing to do with you -- at least not when it comes to the positives and negatives of 02. But it IS a problem if you continue to get passive-aggressive like this, which leads me into...

    3) As you might have picked up, I DO have a problem -- but not with your reasons for watching. I have a problem with how passive-aggressive you seem to get whenever anyone challenges your opinions. This is a discussion board and therefore we discuss, debate, etc. I've just noticed this trend in your posts, that they seem very reactive whenever anyone has anything even slightly negative to say about 02. One user can say something like "Most people don't like 02" and even though I don't think that's necessarily true either, you tend to respond with a very succinct bitterness and some extremely passive-aggressive or caustically sarcastic phrases like (paraphrasing here) "I would appreciate it if you didn't generalize, thanks" or "Do you have a problem with me that I like 02" or whatnot. It makes you come across as extremely prissy.

    And maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this kind of goes back to writing and language as a whole -- if you have no interest in characters or development, then it makes me wonder how informed your opinion is when it comes to how people communicate stories (either fictional stories or communicating "stories" like we are when we correspond on an Internet forum) because I'm not sure how aware you are of the negative self-image you create when you respond in this self-martyring way. Language and words do matter to a degree, especially on a text-based Internet forum.

    I think it just ticked me off when you started talking about "agreeing to disagree" because if that's what it's going to come down to, why bother sharing our opinions at all? Why bother being open to listening to how others would rank the Adventure arcs? Why are you interested in other people's opinions if you're not interested in either refining or better understanding your own?

    There have been times when I didn't understand other users' opinions about other Digimon-related things (particularly in tri.) and after discussing and going back-and-forth, I found I was able to look at things from a different perspective while still ultimately retaining my own outlook. But in this case, it frustrates me because this is how the conversations have been going here:

    Other users: "02 has some pretty bad arcs." (My note: I also think Adventure has some bad arcs, too -- I am not a 02 hater.)
    You: "No it doesn't."
    Other users: "This arc has bad writing, this doesn't contribute to the overall story, etc."
    You: "I disagree, writing isn't objectively good or bad and I like that character."
    You, elsewhere: "I don't care about the characters or their development in Digimon."

    That just doesn't make any sense. If you don't care about the characters or their development, then you don't care about the writing in Digimon -- which makes you unqualified to determine whether or not its writing is "good" or "bad" or whatever. So you either need to admit that you DO care about the writing/characters/development in Digimon to a degree, or you need to understand that if you truly don't care about those things then your opinions about the writing of the show are uninformed and completely divorced from the text (the show) itself.

    TO CLARIFY: it's not a problem if you don't care about the characters, etc. of Digimo or that you watch for different reasons, but it's a problem if you say that after making comments about writing quality because it just doesn't line up.
    Last edited by AquaVersus; 09-15-2017 at 03:57 AM.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaVersus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBxDigimon_fan View Post
    When did I say I like it only for the action? I have used the fights as an example but I've made my opinion clear in the OP. So I'm not interested in the characters or their development. Is it really that big of a problem I watch for different reasons than you?
    This is starting to really vex me, so please let me be perfectly clear by breaking this up into different numbered points:

    1) "So I'm not interested in the characters or their development." -- If you are not interested in the characters or the development, then you have NO business having an opinion about which arc has better or worse writing because writing relates to characters and their development.
    Plenty of the greatest literature in the world has nothing to do with character development. This is a very reductionist view of writing, in my opinion.

    On top of that, Digimon's "character development", such as it is, is usually incredibly hamfisted, as you'd expect from a kids show. The kids (who aren't generally particularly believable characters in the first place) get into all kinds of contrived situations (complete with flashbacks so as to introduce brand new character features which weren't shown in the normal course of the narrative) to show off their flaws or whatever, and it is miraculously resolved through some realization a few minutes later. At any rate, I really don't see how character development in 02 is any better or worse than in Adventure. A lot of the "character development" discussion seems to boil down to "I really like Character X and don't like Character Y."

    Digimon is not some piece of art in the first place, but to say our focus should be on character development is really weird, to me.

  10. #40
    It's really hard for me to rank Adventure. Mainly because I just sat there and completely enjoyed the hell out of the show. Out of 54 episodes the only two I don't like to rewatch is the TK-centric primary village and TK-centric amusement park episodes. My favorite episode is episode 21 Home Away From Home. I rewatched adventure for the first time subbed about 4 years ago and fell in complete love with it again. So my rankings really come down to how much enjoyment I had with each arc.

    1. Etemon - To say that Devimon and the commercials leading up to the Etemon arc hyped me up is an understatement. Expecting more powerful forms, seeing SkullGreymon for the first time, Etemon just being a boss, the whole pyramid fiasco, and Izzy's mumbo jumbo about what he thought the Digital World was on it's own made this very exciting for me. But the zany things like the order they got their crests were great. Much less formulaic than their evolution orders, not that I have a problem with those features or that it means much. It just I dunno 'worked' for me. The digital world was still wacky in this arc. Like the boat on the sand! The whole Pixiemon thing. Datamon. Crest searching. It was all very. . .fun. To close it out, I really loved Tai's arc and how he overcame his fears in the end. It was simple and all I needed. To conclude, the only things I didn't like were the Koromon village scenario (though Etemon's entrance was pretty fun) and Datamon falling into the dark network as his end.

    2. Myotismon (I've used Dub names thus far - soooo) arc. Honestly, this arc and the Dark Masters arc are pretty close. Only three things really separate them from each other. Hype. And dislikes. To put it plainly, Agumon and Gabumon digivolving to the Mega level the first time was FACE-MELTINGLY AWESOME. As in for as much anime I watched as a kid, including the famous DBZ, this transformation was my absolute favorite. I was completely speechless. Or I was a raving lunatic. I kind of forget because it was a blur. Okay with that out of the way I can cover the other stuff. I love WereGarurumon's episode. Gatomon's arc. MegaKABUFREAKINTERIMON episode. An arc of pure enjoyment really. And I was satisfied despite the deus ex machina. Literally didn't bother me, and still doesn't. And most of that is not even touching on when they get back to the real world. I loved these kids parents. Loved them! Seriously, the small moment when Mimi's dad drives into the DarkTyrannomon was engaging enough for me. I love that family. Joe's talk with his brother about it being his life and not his father's. I mean - dude. There's a reason this is my favorite anime of all time. The cons I have are the aforementioned TK episode and Myotismon and the kids not settling it sooner. Like WereGarurumon + Angemon vs Myotismon seemed like a contrived end. It just seemed like both sides HAD to wait for Angewomon before they decided "Yeah - one side is not walking away from this."

    3. Dark Masters. Shocking. Chuumon - Dead. Whamon - Dead. Leomn - Dead. Numemon - Dead. Dark Masters -Dead - err fun villains. A lot of stock footage, but that's to be expected. I loved the group dynamics that were explored. . .and Puppetmon. He's the only socio in the series right (probably ahead of myself here)? There's just a lot of interesting imagery and raw. . .fighting. One thing that always got me was Mimi though. After all of the growing she did in the Myotismon arc, the moment they got their collective butts whooped and were about to die to Piedmon she broke down. Then the more fighting they did the more their friends got hurt. I sympathized with her, especially when Tai and Matt started fighting. The fighting has gotten so out of control that if they aren't going to fight their enemies they're going to fight each other? Yeah, I'm out too. Anyway, I was disappointment in their actual fight. MagnaAngemon never fully quite did it for me eithier, his evolution couldn't close out Adventure for me (Omegamon on the other hand. . .) Apocalymon's death was a little harder to swallow than the deus ex VenomMyotismon fight. Still a lot of what happened in this arc could keep me up at night, excited for what would happen next.

    4. Devimon arc. I loved the survival aspect of this arc. We needed food. We needed shelter. Matt almost died in the snow. The digital world was wacky as heck. And though Tai was quite clearly the lead character, the others got a lot of coverage I felt. Things weren't dialed up to 11 like the other arcs, but I honestly didn't need it to be. I was drawn in by this mysterious world full of cool monsters. There was an episode in the first season of Pokemon where the Pokemon are separated from their partners (Island of Giant Pokemon I think) and they're just trying to survive and talk to each other. This whole first part seemed like a more detailed and exciting version of that. You know? Also, come on - Angemon slaying Devimon. Had I really seen something like that on TV prior? I honestly can't recall.

    Anyway - that's my ranking!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •