With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

View Poll Results: Have a Favourite Arc?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Devimon Arc

6 12.77%
  • Etemon Arc

6 12.77%
  • Vamdemon Arc

26 55.32%
  • Dark Masters Arc

13 27.66%
  • Kaiser Arc

5 10.64%
  • Archemon Arc

4 8.51%
  • Dark Seeds Arc

4 8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Rank the "Adventure" Arcs?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTartarus View Post
    well i think most can agree
    Are you so sure about that? I mean, sure maybe the 5 or 6 other people here that agree with you may think less of it but there are plenty of us who actually liked 02 and its arcs.... js

Quote Originally Posted by DBxDigimon_fan View Post
    Are you so sure about that? I mean, sure maybe the 5 or 6 other people here that agree with you may think less of it but there are plenty of us who actually liked 02 and its arcs.... js
    Yeah, I'm also tired of the 02 hate. Sure, the 02 kids and their Digimon aren't as charming as the 99 kids (except Ken and Wormmon, they steal the show), but the season is enjoyable. And I really like V-Mon's evolution lines. Anyway, I'm still thinking how to rank the arcs.
    02 stands for the year. 01 is wrong, it'd be 99.

Completely digital MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Follow MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    im not saying that 02 overall is bad but the Holy stone and Oikawa arc are not really good

BlackWarGreymon is probably the worst part of 02. His character arc doesn't make any sense, he doesn't challenge any of the kids in such a way that they get to grow, the action in his episodes are super-repetitive, they never actually touch on why he's a clone version of WarGreymon making his design pandering at best, his redemption comes out of nowhere with a literal Deus ex Machina named Qinglongmon, and his sacrifice is invalidated less than 5 episodes after it happens.

Like... I think the cast of Frontier has less problems than him....
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTartarus View Post
    im not saying that 02 overall is bad but the Holy stone and Oikawa arc are not really good
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    BlackWarGreymon is probably the worst part of 02.
    Nahh, it really isn't bad at all. But I suppose it depends on what you're watching for.

The Archnemon arc had some really good fights, and the Oikawa arc did too but what I've always liked about the Oikawa arc the most was the world adventure, the suspense, and the 3rd side of the conflict in Demon & co showing up to join in. There are lots of things I like the Archnemon arc for, and BlackWarGreymon was one of tham. And I think everything about his character makes perfect sense and is well written. BlackWarGreymon is a digimon created solely from dark towers, he is not a living digimon like the rest of them; and the absence of life within him created the internal conflict. After all, he's more self aware than the other black tower digimon since he was created from more dark towers than all of the previous black tower digimon combined. Archnemon seemed to create nothing but copies of virus type digimon. I could be wrong, but I remember there being a pattern.

Anyway, like I said it depends on what you watch Digimon for. When I was a kid, I watched it for the fights & the digimon themselves, as well as other action/drama/suspense. And as an adult, being away from it for over 10 years, I have not changed my expectations of it since that's pretty much what Digimon has always been about for me.

Man... the fight scenes in Digimon are not exactly super-exciting. Unless you consider 90% stock footage and characters yelling attack names to be some kind of dadaist artform.

I'm glad someone gets so much enjoyment out of 02, but it kinda feels like you're trying to defend the weaker parts of the series while purposefully ignoring the parts of the writing that are actually decent? Just trying to be contrary, perhaps? I can see the appeal of disagreeing with the mass consensus, at least.

I mean, there's objective and subjective. People here on this forum really seem to dislike 02. And I usually see it as the opposite; they tend to get pretty touchy any time somebody mentions they DID like 02 =P. Sure, there's plenty to objectively criticize about it; there's also a lot to enjoy, and you could nitpick most things coming from a personal standpoint.

You say he doesn't challenge the kids in a way they get to grow; counterpoint is T.K. and Cody, not only as a physical presence (i.e. MagnaAngemon) but as a means for them to overcome respective traumas (T.K.'s pervasive hatred of evil Digimon and Cody's abandonment issues), just as an example.

Not to get into a debate on the relativistic merits of 02, but you get out of it what you get out of it. Personal enjoyment shouldn't stop you from being able to discuss it rationally, and dislike (well-founded or otherwise) shouldn't be foisted onto people of a different opinion.

No, I get that. I'm not trying to get him to change his mind or to stop liking something. I am glad it brings him enjoyment. I just don't see it. And as someone who -wants- to like Digimon and all things related to it, it's baffling how willingly this character gets defended.

I guess if I squint I can see some minor pushing of Takeru's and Iori's character arcs? Though Iori's arc is primarily developed directly with Ken and then later Oikawa. And Takeru's arc about being overzealous against the darkness... gets abandoned immediately after Jogress happens and instead his 'temptation illusion' is a rehash of Yamato's character arc from Adventure? I'm not blaming BWG for THAT, but ultimately I don't anything he did mattered to either of these characters...

On the subject of fights, Digimon does not have a huge amount of interesting ones. I think the series is well directed and staged, though, so in a small defense of Zero Two, a fight like Paildramon VS Ookuwamon could've looked amazing if they had the time/money/talent to really sell it. I remember that episode(s) as a kid being particularly tense because it was Paildramon's debut and it actually felt like the kids weren't going to win momentarily.

Not counting the movies, there's almost no super-impressive fight choreography in the entire Digimon series until Rosemon VS BioStegomon in Savers, five series and seven years later. Before that, what did we have? Beelzebumon VS Dukemon? the final fight with Cherubimon in Frontier? Even those were not spectacular.

Completely digital MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Follow MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    i dont mind seeing Terra Force over and over again, looks so epic, in general they atleast made them epic looking.
    though objectifly speaking it is a bit repetative, especially in adventure after that they got better step by step.
    im particular fond of the fight with Lucemon FM but that could be my fanboyism.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast