With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon Adventure tri. Stage Play Discussion

Digimon Adventure tri. Stage Play Discussion

On the train home from seeing the stage play.

Quick review: It was awesome.

Longer review: The puppets look janky at first, but it quickly becomes fucking awesome.

I preordered the DVD, it comes out 12/2/2017.

After some of the shows, there are a couple of events throughout the week. Each one is unique. And each one is free if you attend the showing before it.

Tonight was a Live Show with AiM performing some songs. Tomorrow is some kinda talk event with Taichi and Yamato's actors I believe. Tuesday is an open discussion with the main 8 cast. The final day has some sort of farewell performance.

The show is of dubious canon, but they handwave an explanation at the end to make it fit with Tri if you want it to. They also bring up the Dark Ocean. A lot.

The show focuses a LOT more on character interaction and development than Tri itself does. It's a great companion piece for people who feel Tri isn't delving enough into the characters.

Etemon is glorious and is Taichi's new husbando.
    Last edited by Jay Ukyou; 08-05-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    On the train home from seeing the stage play.

Quick review: It was awesome.

Longer review: The puppets look janky at first, but it quickly becomes fucking awesome.

I preordered the DVD, it comes out 12/12/2017.

After some of the shows, there are a couple of events throughout the week. Each one is unique. And each one is free if you attend the showing before it.

Tonight was a Live Show with AiM performing some songs. Tomorrow is some kinda talk event with Taichi and Yamato's actors I believe. Tuesday is an open discussion with the main 8 cast. The final day has some sort of farewell performance.

The show is of dubious canon, but they handwave an explanation at the end to make it fit with Tri if you want it to. They also bring up the Dark Ocean. A lot.

The show focuses a LOT more on character interaction and development than Tri itself does. It's a great companion piece for people who feel Tri isn't delving enough into the characters.

Etemon is glorious and is Taichi's new husbando.
    May I ask how does the puppet masters camouflage them self?

They don't. They are fully visible the entire time. They wear the same grey clothes as in the pictures.

They just kind of silently act out what their puppet is doing while controlling the puppet simultaneously. It's probably the best part of the whole thing how creatively the effect works.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    I preordered the DVD, it comes out 12/12/2017.
    I know this is probably gonna hurt my wallet a lot, but would you mind posting a link to the DVD so that I can place my pre-order? Also, does Japanese Amazon have any Black Friday deals or Gift Cards system I can take advantage of? Also, if you have a Tumblr, and get some time, please post a detailed review of the play. I can't wait to watch it on home video, but I need to know how epic it is.

I don't think the DVD is available online yet. I filled out a handwritten form. On paper. Like a savage.

It was only 2000 yen. (I think that's because the cost is cheaper if you attend the stage play.)
    EDIT: NO, this is wrong! It was really crowded when I was paying for it, so I couldn't hear what the seller was saying. Looking at my order form, 2000 yen is the reservation price, and the rest of the 9504 yen price is payed when I pick up the DVD on 12/2/2017.

If there's anyone who was on the fence about seeing the show and can possibly make it to Tokyo before it's over... I HIGHLY recommend going. The visceral feeling of the wailing guitars of Braveheart when the Digimon evolve is the most amazing thing ever.

Also, you'll get to see KingEtemon and the Etemon Five (there's a brief rock musical number).

Interesting bit of trivia: the audience was about 80% female fans. The girls who sat next to me and my friend were literally crying at the end of the show.
    Last edited by Jay Ukyou; 08-05-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Completely digital

May ask what it is the character development of the Digidestinef in the stage?

Also, I'm surprised the Dark Ocean is mentioned.

Interesting bit of trivia: the audience was about 80% female fans. The girls who sat next to me and my friend were literally crying at the end of the show.
    This isn't really strange.

Adventure (and Tri) has a big female audience. Also, the stage of animes seem to be aimed mainly female audiences.

The character development is primarily aimed at how the kids want to grow up. Jou gives a passionate speech about how he's ready to work hard to achieve his dream of being a doctor because his experiences in the Digital World made him want to help both humans and Digimon who get hurt. And this causes all of the kids to start asking each other what they want to be when they grow up.

This turns out to be a really hard question for all of them.

They ask Koushirou if he's going to do something with computers, and he says yes, but he doesn't know what yet, it's a big field, and he's unsure how to transition from hobby to career.

They ask Yamato if he's going to try to make it big with his band, and he says that he doesn't want to turn his hobby into a career, because then it stops being enjoyable. And he's not sure what he wants to do yet.

Takeru chimes in that he really likes the idea of being a writer, but he doesn't think he's good enough to do it professionally.

They ask Mimi what she wants to do, and she gets flustered and says she'd rather just stay a kid forever.

Hikari says that she wants to take care of kids or something, it was really vague and hard to understand what she was getting at.

The group then asks Sora what she wants to do, asking if she's going to get involved in her mother's business... and Sora just outright doesn't answer and just asks Taichi a question about if he wants to be a pro soccer player.

Taichi says that he's still too young to decide that yet.

This little campfire scene sets up each character's arc. Each of the non-Jou cast members has to come to terms with the reasons why they aren't ready to grow up and make a decision about their futures. And each of them comes to a slightly different conclusion. (For two easy examples: Koushirou seems to just need someone to believe in his ability and that motivates him to choose. Whereas Mimi has kind of a completely different revelation that she doesn't need to decide her whole future right now, but instead she can pick something she likes now to try it out and choose whether she sticks with it or not if something else inspires her.)

Pretty much the entire play is conversation-based instead of action-based, so the character development was a lot more heavily fleshed out than in Tri itself.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

This play sounds better than tri. proper from that description Jay! Also facinated that the dark ocean get brought up a lot, it always seemed like a concept fans loved, but would ultimately never get brought up again. Could I ask what evolutions appeared in the show?

So we have a very character based and epilogue compliant story with returning villains and Dark Ocean stuff happening. Whew, sounds like a description for the majority of post 02 Digimon fanfics.
    I guess this is where they decided to put all the nostalgia fanservice that would have been to big of a distraction from the new and proper story tri wants to tell and it seems to be a good fit.

Looking at the images... they should totally try going international with this. Just hire some more guys in grey to run around the stage and hold up big cardboard signs with subtitles whenever someone says anything.

Also, I hope the "DVD" mentioned earlier is a Bluray... it would be a shame if something as unique as this ends up in the same outdated standard-definition hell that all the commercial Appmon releases seem to have been consigned to.

I've moved the discussion of the stage play itself to this new thread to make discussion a bit easier and not jumbled in with news.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast