With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small V-Pet changes? (merged thread)

I come from the net

Small V-Pet changes? (merged thread)

I noticed a difference in the refusal animations on V1 Japanese V-Pets:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-W...ew?usp=sharing

The red one is the same as the English versions, with 7 frames, that start pointing to the left. The brown one also does this if the Digimon was standing in the middle of the screen; but otherwise, the first frame is replaced with it standing in the middle of the screen.

Could some other people who have these check them too? And does anyone know if the red was released later than the brown?

The two V-Pets in the video were in the same lot from YJ in 2010. I also have another brown one that doesn't work so well any more, that I bought ~2005. The two brown ones do the same thing here.

Having two ROM versions would be kind of annoying, as I don't know what else they might have changed that we can't see

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post
    Could some other people who have these check them too?
    That wasn't very clear I guess...

If you have any Japan release V1, I'd like to know what colour it is and which refusal animation it has.

The brown one also does this if the Digimon was standing in the middle of the screen
    Actually, only if it hadn't moved from there. (If I let it walk around and wait for it to return to that position, it still seems to use the walk frame at the start of the refusal animation.)

File Island queries: original V-pet

I'v recently been messing around with a version 1 V-pet I obtained, specifically trying to get Tyrannomon. I read on File Island that the version 1's training counts as successful regardless of how well the player actually does, but I trained my Agumon 6 times - 3 successful and 3 not - and did everything else well, and still ended up with Numemon, which leads me to wonder how this conclusion was reached. I'm using a Japanese pet, was this data perhaps taken from the international release instead?
    Last edited by V-tamer-02; 12-27-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Spell-check

It is said that Mamemons line is harder to get.

I come from the net
    I tested that pretty well. I think I also tested on a Japanese one, but maybe not? I can check again if you like.

Which refusal animation do you have?
    https://withthewill.net/threads/1818...-V-Pet-changes

It varies, actually. It depends if the monster central of the screen, so the equivalent of the first monster you showed in your video. Not sure why this would matter, is that a difference between iterations of the V1? It's a rust red/brown coloured unit if that helps. And I can confirm its Japanese origins,
    I kept the packaging, and it still has the white sticker on the back. (When I say rust red, I mean the brown one. Rust red sounds nicer than brown, and it does tend to look quite red in natural lighting.)

Other information I've picked out: sleep schedules for some monsters' profiles are also not correspondent to my own monsters. Betamon sleeps at 9pm instead of 8, and doesn't wake up until 9am instead of 8, either, but it isn't documented on file island when monsters wake up, which would definitely be a handy addition. My various Koromon have gone many weekends' worth of near-death experiences because I am lazy and keep my Digimon on silent for everybody else's sake.

As for your theories on releases, I'd assume by avaliability that the rust red and steel blue docks would have been produced first. They're far more common than the bright red and royal blue versions, and if they had come at the same time, I would suspect this wouldn't be the case. There's also the decision of producing brown and grey versions for the 20th anniversary instead of red and blue. Just speculation, but a thought to chew on nonetheless.
    Last edited by V-tamer-02; 01-14-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Update of information

I come from the net
    So, you have a rust one, and it matches the refusal behaviour of my rust one? It matters because if they changed one thing, they could have changed anything else too.

I remember noting the sleep and wake-up times on paper way back, so that might still be around somewhere. If I never added the wake-up times to the website, I probably never checked the sleep times either.

I was thinking similar things about the release schedule.

Yeah, I feel as though it was kind of timed. The rust and steel undoubtedly came first, followed by the green and that weird mustard yellow, and then red and blue, then the version 2 very shortly after. That's what I'm thinking, as the version 2 is more common online than anything past the green or yellow.

But there's a definite difference between your rust and your red. Are you in a position to get a green or yellow dock for testing? Just curious. Try raising a Devimon, see what happens, because as far as I know your information for Greymon and Tyrannomon was perfectly accurate aside from the training blip.

I come from the net
    I'm not planning to buy any more at the moment, but I'll do a few checks to see if I can spot any other differences between the rust and red ones, and also the English versions (2 of those too).

The first thing is Betamon's sleep time. I raised the 4 Betamon, and they all sleep 8pm-9am. Are you really sure?

I'm planning to do some Greymon/Devimon tests to check what happens with the training. Tyranomon has too many other things that can go wrong.

I noticed the rust V-Pet has less effective switch debouncing. As the buttons have started to get worn out, it sometimes registers two presses instead of one. None of my other V-Pets ever do this.

On the Japanese versions and what I'll call the "strong" English version, the hidden power value sent during battle starts at 2 (after evolution), and ranges from 0-4. On the "weak" English version, it starts at 0 and ranges from 0-2. (I've not tested whether the "strong" one is really stronger in practice.)

My grey one (weak) and my brother's yellow (strong) were bought in the same UK shop at about the same time in 1998-ish. My blue (strong) and yellow (weak) were bought a few months later. Years later, I got two probably-US ones in brown (strong) and clear green (weak). So this is not nearly as regular as the refusal animation difference looks so far!

I come from the net
    I've not found any differences in the Adult evolution requirements.

Starting from Agumon on all 4 sub-versions:
    100 immediately-cancelled training -> Greymon
    32 immediately-cancelled training -> Greymon
    31 immediately-cancelled training -> Devimon
    35 proper training -> Greymon
    28 or 29 proper training -> Devimon

And I successfully raised Tyranomon on the 2 Japanese and the "strong English", with 5 immediately-cancelled training.

However: the Japanese V-Pets won the training about 50% of the time, while the English ones won the training about 75% of the time.

Also, using the "communication project" to get 100% wins, I gave some of these Digimon 15/15 battles after they reached Adult stage. Only 1/5 Devimons evolved (consistent with previous experience), but 8/10 Greymons evolved. This raises a suspicion that the Perfect requirements might be different going from different Adults...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast