With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Tamers Blu-ray Box in 2018 w/ New Audio Drama, Pre-Orders Up

Quote Originally Posted by Velocifaptor View Post
    So does anybody know how much these things go for secondhand? And by secondhand of course, I mean at stores like Hard-Off, not those crazy scalpers on eBay. Jay Ukyou, you wanna help me out here?
    Unfortunately, the answer probably isn't one you wanted to hear. Most of the places where you can sell this kind of merchandise are quite aware of exactly how rare this stuff is. So the price is generally the same as the original retail or somewhat higher.

Old guide books, mass-produced manga, games, toys, and non-rare cards/collectibles do tend to become dirt-cheap at secondhand stores. But limited-release items and video media tend to stay at their original prices or higher.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Add Velocifaptor on Google+ Add Velocifaptor on Steam Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Unfortunately, the answer probably isn't one you wanted to hear. Most of the places where you can sell this kind of merchandise are quite aware of exactly how rare this stuff is. So the price is generally the same as the original retail or somewhat higher.

Old guide books, mass-produced manga, games, toys, and non-rare cards/collectibles do tend to become dirt-cheap at secondhand stores. But limited-release items and video media tend to stay at their original prices or higher.
    Ah well, looks like I won't be able to buy it anytime soon. Maybe I should try saving up for a couple of years, and then maybe I can grab it around the Olympics?

Outside Gotham (okay, I meant Chicago, which was filmed for at least TWO of Nolan's Batman films)
    A new Audio drama? Interesting. I wonder if it will say anything about the existence of Takato's bakery considering that the real neighborhood in Shinjuku that inspired it was demolished.

Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Add Velocifaptor on Google+ Add Velocifaptor on Steam Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by KoushiroIZZYIzumi View Post
    I wonder if it will say anything about the existence of Takato's bakery considering that the real neighborhood in Shinjuku that inspired it was demolished.
    Eh? This is news to me. I've visited Shinjuku before, but conveniently forgot that the Real Word arcs of Tamers are set there. I never thought to check for any landmarks of significance to Digimon fans. Ah well!

Outside Gotham (okay, I meant Chicago, which was filmed for at least TWO of Nolan's Batman films)
    Quote Originally Posted by KoushiroIZZYIzumi View Post
    I wonder if it will say anything about the existence of Takato's bakery considering that the real neighborhood in Shinjuku that inspired it was demolished.
    Eh? This is news to me. I've visited Shinjuku before, but conveniently forgot that the Real Word arcs of Tamers are set there. I never thought to check for any landmarks of significance to Digimon fans. Ah well!
    There used to be a street full of small shops in a specific part of Nishi-Shinjuku called Keyaki-Bashi Shoten Dori (Zelkova Bridge Shopping Street). It was a small section of stores that dated back to the Showa period. This particular area was the inspiration for Matsuda Family's bakery.

From Chaiki J. Konaka's site, Digimon Tamers Resources:
    First, I decided that the main stage would be West Shinjuku, a little town right behind a forest of skyscrapers. When I walked around that area to look for locations and scenes, I felt that this town still had the atmosphere of the Showa Era (approx. 1940 to 1980).
    There was a small collection of boutiques and corner stores, and I decided to place Takato's family bakery there.
    Unfortunately, that area was selected for redevelopment around 2009/2010 and everything, from that point on, was taken down for the construction of a residential building which was completed just last month.

Sites with info on Keyaki-Bashi (all Japanese)

http://polka.wp.xdomain.jp/2009/02/keyakibashi/

https://allabout.co.jp/gm/gc/424977/all/

https://ameblo.jp/ssatoloux-1987/entry-12154385546.html

http://iserharsa.blog71.fc2.com/blog-entry-4.html

Here are some pages about the building that's in it's place.

http://japanpropertycentral.com/2013...ishi-shinjuku/

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/parkhouse-nishi-shinjuku-tower-60/18017

http://edgy-luxe.com/now-selling-tok...ower-shinjuku/
    Last edited by KoushiroIZZYIzumi; 08-11-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Wow, that's quite a lot of stuff I didn't know, @KoushiroIZZYIzumi
    @Marc, can you clarify something? You mentioned that the Tamers BD Box will have PCM Stereo audio. Was this the case with the Adventure and Zero Two BD Boxes too? As in, did they only have an uncompressed stereo PCM track for the audio, or did they also ​have an uncompressed 5.1 PCM track?

@Marc, can you clarify something? You mentioned that the Tamers BD Box will have PCM Stereo audio. Was this the case with the Adventure and Zero Two BD Boxes too? As in, did they only have an uncompressed stereo PCM track for the audio, or did they also ​have an uncompressed 5.1 PCM track?
    As the respective breakdowns/reviews of the previous Box Sets point out, both came in PCM stereo, so the Tamers Box is exactly the same in this regard.
    I doubt non-theatrical anime from this time period were released with 5.1 sound in the first place. However you might be remembering the Digimon Movie BD box where I believe the first 2 movies were released with some sort of "pseudo" 5.1 track.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    As the respective breakdowns/reviews of the previous Box Sets point out, both came in PCM stereo, so the Tamers Box is exactly the same in this regard.
    I doubt non-theatrical anime from this time period were released with 5.1 sound in the first place. However you might be remembering the Digimon Movie BD box where I believe the first 2 movies were released with some sort of "pseudo" 5.1 track.
    Ah thanks. That makes more sense. Although they *could* have gone the upmixing route, and given the general structure of stereo mixes and the tools available today, they could make it sound like genuine Dolby, complete with a centre-panned dialogues track, although I suppose this would take quite a lot of time, not to mention resources, and there's really no point to all that for casual fans, especially since those that own a home theater system or a Dolby Atmos soundbar (for 7.1 audio) already get an even, although shoddy upmix on their speakers/soundbars, and only an audio professional or hardcore audiophile would be able to tell the difference. This also makes me wonder how long before the franchise gets 4K UHD BluRay remasters. Sorry if I went off on an off-topic tangent.

Ah thanks. That makes more sense. Although they *could* have gone the upmixing route, and given the general structure of stereo mixes and the tools available today, they could make it sound like genuine Dolby, complete with a centre-panned dialogues track, although I suppose this would take quite a lot of time, not to mention resources, and there's really no point to all that for casual fans, especially since those that own a home theater system or a Dolby Atmos soundbar (for 7.1 audio) already get an even, although shoddy upmix on their speakers/soundbars, and only an audio professional or hardcore audiophile would be able to tell the difference.
    The thing is, most home receivers have been able to do this for years, even prior to Atmos. There isn't much evidence the 'upscaled' to 5.1 versions for those 2 movies were much different than what you'd get doing this (a number of people who have the movie boxset seem to prefer listening to the old mixes because the new mixes while fine, don't do a ton.)

This also makes me wonder how long before the franchise gets 4K UHD BluRay remasters. Sorry if I went off on an off-topic tangent.
    For the classic stuff? Minus the movies (and that would only be relevant if Toei stops dicking around and remasters them properly) I would say never.

There is no quality left to be gained, no real improvements to be made. Upscaling 480i material to 1080i with your TV scaling to 4k is going to look roughly the same as the work they would scaling 480i to 4k.

Stuff like an HDR color pass would arguably improve things, but with the material being so long, and so low resolution, it seems not worth their time or money because there simply isn't much to show for improvements.

Then you have Xros and Appmon. Both being native HD productions, they'd likely simply benefit from a nice Blu-ray box that fans might be willing to buy. They wouldn't really look better in 4k, nor is Toei likely to spend the money to go over and do an HDR pass.

tri. is the only 'real' odd man out. While it certainly isn't 4k, when they are over I could see a vague possibility of a 'tri. Complete 4k Box' that tweaked a few things, did an HDR color pass, with notice of claims of high end professional digital scaling to 4k.

I'm not saying I expect it, but it's the only time I could see it really make sense.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Amazon's standard edition has the price set at about $395, and I assume that lower price is only available during the pre-order period. I'm trying to decide how long I have to maybe save up for this thing... Is it typical for Amazon to keep their pre-order pricing the same until the release date?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast