With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: The 2nd DVD-Box for Appmon is out! Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps, and Discussions!

The 2nd DVD-Box for Appmon is out! Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps, and Discussions!

The second Appmon DVD-Box is out!

It's been 3 months since the first DVD-Box so it was about time for another to come out. The first DVD-Box for Appmon, while negative that it was only DVD and not Blu-ray, was a good release overall, hopefully this second box holds up to that.

Lots of scanning but minimal editing on this one.

As normal, I won't be reviewing the show itself, just going over the actual DVD release.

The short delay in getting this up was in not having time to edit scans after it got done (for various reasons, including being sick for most of the last week.)

Where appropriate text may be reused from prior reviews.

Any screencaps from the DVDs are lossless PNGs.

All images in the article are smaller copies from our gallery (to keep loading sizes smaller for everyone), but link to the full sized versions when clicked.

Scanning was done as high quality as I could do, and compressed and shrunk to reasonable sizes, along with reasonable quality JPG compression. I've explained my workflow in my personal thread and will answer any questions involving it or the processes used. Scanning generally went well with one exception which will be explained later...

First up will be all the physical stuff. Everything included with the DVD was scanned.

We start with.... an obi card!

This obi covers 3 sides completely and the bottom portion of the front, it's made from some decent card stock, and has all the information for the release. Much like the tri. disks, this means that once it's removed, the box is almost completely clean of random information.

The packaging for the disk itself is a 'brick' style DVD case (also known as a fatpack.) A bit unique to see in a Japanese anime release, but not unheard of. I actually rather like this packaging style minus two things:
    1. It tends to mean less art than if you had separate cases for each disk.
    2. Because it's a pack with only one double sided 'disk page' inside, it means one of the disks is underneath the booklet.

The front and back cover for the DVD are relative simple.

The front cover (at the top of the article) is new artwork of the 4 kids and their Appmon in their Super forms. All of the characters have their personalities on display in a fun way. It's new art and is on model to the show, which many people will appreciate.

The back cover basically emulated a smartphone interface with Appmon icons. The icons for the Applidrivers' Appmon are in the dock at the bottom. They are not centered, leaving an obvious empty slot for a fifth character, which we expect to be filled with the next DVD-Box.

Because it was an insert, I also was able to scan the side easily. It's just clean text along with a DVD-Box 2 at the bottom. It's interesting how various bits of the DVD-Box use a very clean English logo instead of the normal Appmon logo.

The DVD-Box came with a very nice slipcover that covers 5 sides. The slipcover is a soft and glossy black paperstock, with DoGatchmon drawn in green foil.

For various reasons these scans did not come out well, so I spent minimal effort on editing them, as editing wouldn't have helped much. I'm aware how to scan these for a better result, but simply haven't had time to nab the materials and do the testing properly to have the scans come out better.

As for why the scans came out wonky... basically the glossy paper reflects light in a way that makes scans come out poorly (to say nothing of showing every bit of dust and smudges from fingers.) The foil also reflects light so specifically that it just doesn't come out correctly.

The black is a nice inky black and the green foil is a a fantastic rich green color, which unfortunately the scans don't show off well.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The official press image doesn't really show off the slipcover properly (especially the green), but it's the closest thing we have to a clean image of it at the moment.

I may get the materials and rescan the slipcover later, but even using the proper materials, it won't ever look 'quite' right.

The four physical DVDs use the standard Appmon logo, along with a design that emulates a flat 3d surface (not unlike the old SNES Mode 7 to my eyes.)

The discs are roughly identical to the discs from Box 1.

Each disk has it's own color and part of the flat 3d motif actually is used in the next bit of scans...

A booklet was included.

The cover uses the Appmon logo, along with a nice digital design. It also specifies it as the book for DVD-Box 2 and includes the kids' and their Appmon (Super grade) in silhouette.

The first two page spread goes over short story descriptions for the episodes on discs 1 and 2.

The second spread covers the episodes on discs 3 and 4.

Then we have a spread going over the 4 kids and their Appmon, with a focus on the Ultimate grade forms.

This spread is about Appmon that show up in episodes throughout the boxset.

Same as the previous pages and it finishes off with Dantemon.

The back cover has cast and staff information for Appmon.

DVD-Box 2 included no ad inserts, but did include something... interesting, that I wasn't sure if I've scanned before...

This sheet is a set of instructions for playing a DVD... yep... Moving on.

And that's it for the physical... onto the disk contents itself!

The video is encoded using MPEG2 at an average bitrate between roughly 6.6 and 7.5 Mb. This is reasonably decent for animated content, but a bit below box 1. Unlike the first box, I didn't do multiple sets of screencaps this time because the overall difference between filesize was minimal and shifts between episodes, rather than there being 2 'specific' types of encodes used. There may be minor difference between video quality, but I don't believe it's noticeable while watching. The video for the episodes is encoded at 480p.

The video is encoded properly in anamorphic widescreen. The screencaps are provided stretched to the proper aspect ratio to emulate how they would appear during watching (raw screencaps from the DVD would not look correct.)

The DVDs are encoded at 30fps, but the pulldown was done properly, and any player should be able to reverse the pulldown to get clean 24fps playback.

The audio is a 2.0 Dolby track at 448k. That's on the higher end of the scale for compressed DVD audio and everything sounds rather nice.

Each episode overall is 1.15 to 1.26 GB, which is generally good for DVD content (these are roughly equivalent, or a touch lower, than the lower bitrate encodes from DVD-Box 1.)

Everything above suggests a good DVD (which isn't always a given when dealing with Toei, who has had some modern show releases on DVD that simply stunk.)

No subtitles are included, which is expected.

The video quality overall is reasonably good, but I still wish the show had gotten a Blu-ray. The resolution bump, to say nothing of a much better video codec, would certainly have lead to a much richer picture all around.

Appmon looks about as good as could be expected for the show on DVD. Hopefully when the DVDs are done Toei will decide to do Blu-rays, as the clean art and very vivid cartoony colors would benefit.

The menus are basic, perhaps a touch overly basic (at least some music would have been nice.)

The menu is a static screen with a play all option, along with each episode. Disk 1 additionally has a special features button.

If you click All, it plays them all. If you click a specific episode, it pops up a tiny screencap and an episode title, you click again to play the episode. If you click SPECIAL it gives you a list of special features to play from. Simple but it works well.

While there is no chapter menus for the episodes, there are chapter markers everywhere you would want them to be on the episodes themselves.

Time for extras! Well... extra.

A Clean ED for the second Appmon Ending theme, Ai.

Appmon DVD-Box 2 is a pretty good DVD release for Appmon, at a reasonable price considering some DVD prices in Japan. The extra is quite minimal, but not unexpected. The only real shame is that Appmon could really benefit from a Blu-ray release.

These 12 episodes continue on well from Box 1. The dip in video bitrate is the only thing to be concerned about, but it isn't really an issue here. I also don't see it dipping any further due to the way Toei has done Box 1 and 2, so there shouldn't be any issues.

Appmon is also receiving rental DVDs in Japan. The disks are being released one a month, and the episode count per disk seems to match up with the consumer box release. We do not know if special features or video quality is different on these.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

At the time of writing this, one of the rental DVDs based on content from Box 2 has come out. It uses the Haru and DoGatchmon art from the cover of Box 2.

Screencaps were taken largely at random while jumping around the first episode in the DVD-Box, which is episode 14 (although if I knew a moment was coming up I wanted a cap of, I'd wait.)

Screencaps from DVD-Box 2

The scans can all be found in the gallery.

The scans are very small compared to the master scans I did (the work and backup folder structure for the scans and screencaps is over 35 gigs.) I will try and make wallpapers if people are interested. If you want to see a specific screencap of something give me the episode and a rough timecode if you can.

If you have any questions about the release feel free to ask.

Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 2 is still available to order. In addition, Box 1 is still available, and Boxes 3 and 4 are announced and available to pre-order (Affiliate links.)

Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 1
    Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 2
    Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 3
    Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 4

Thanks to everyone has donated for us to do various scans and breakdowns. We are still taking donations so we can do this again for future releases. If you are willing to donate please take a look at the most recent thread on the subject.

We should have a few more things soon for people to look at.

Images are hosted on our gallery and embedded on the forum, so let us know if anything is acting up.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    I'm looking forward to getting mine soon!
    I still need to find a region free DVD player though.
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Does anyone have a link to the thread for the first Appmon DVD box?
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the thread for the first Appmon DVD box?
    https://withthewill.net/threads/1751...nd-Discussions

Lazy!

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    lol. Yeah, I really am. Thanks, Vande.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Wow Warudamon has an actual Toei artwork, and it's pretty neat Is there any way to rip it from there? It would be fine to upload it to the wikis!

i can't wait for the clean versions of the EDs and OPs to be on youtube. It's nice to see we're getting clean versions on DVD too
    Noctis - 22 - They/Them
    And Gatchmon is my son!