With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Digimon the Movie in Entertainment Weekly... for Movie Anthem?

Digimon the Movie in Entertainment Weekly... for Movie Anthem?

Well... this is a bit of an oddity...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

In a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly (June 30th, 2017, #1472) Digimon the Movie is brought up...

It's a bit odd as to why, but I'll get into why after you see the reason it showed up in the magazine.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Yep there it is... for Kids in America, but I think we need to zoom out a bit.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

It ranked 3rd for Best American Movie Anthem! Wait... what?

I mean, it's neat... but it looks like it's a probably a mistake.

Partially because Kids in America is of course a song that existed for quite a bit before Digimon the Movie, which in and of itself wouldn't necessary mean much, but also because the original Kim Wilde version that is generally considered iconic (and is listed in the magazine) isn't actually in Digimon the Movie. The version of Kids in America was a cover by Canadian band Len.

I'm guessing what happened was they ranked iconic songs, and then slotted in their matching films... and sitting here thinking, I can't think of a film that used Kids in America as a real anthem (especially since most times I can think of it being used it was a cover), so I'm guessing they simply grabbed a film name that listed having the song.

Welp...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

You can get the Entertainment Weekly approved music from Digimon the Movie for under 10 dollars via either CD or digital, and the CD includes digital! (Affiliate link.)

Digimon the Movie Soundtrack

I can't speak to the digital, but the physical includes the various vocal songs from Seasons 1 and 2 of the English dub.

Thanks to catswithstaches for the photos and other information regarding the magazine (they had also taken a photo of the cover to help out but I tracked down a nice clean image of it.)
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

While I like the original version very much (including that "metro" version with Kim and her brother), Len's version is really great and I still am listening to it from time to time (and "Run Around").
    Speedy like wind, gradually like forest, aggressively like fire, immovably like mountain, secretly like shadow, actively like thunder.

How did someone even find this XD let alone a digimon fan

I'm going digital
    This is certainly unexpected and interesting! I've largely divorced myself from Saban's Digimon dub (I'm grateful to it for introducing me to the franchise and I can appreciate some of the jokes), but "Kids in America" -- any version -- still stands out to me to this day as a significant song from my youth. Love it.

But putting this on the same level as Carly Simon's "Let the River Run" from Working Girl is really something. That was a truly iconic film for many people. Kinda surprising to see Digimon above it. But I'm not sure what exactly the criteria is supposed to be here.

Haha, that's funny. Poor Len, since it was actually them that did the song. It's a great song that lends itself to covers very well anyway; I can't say Kim Wilde's version is even my favorite.

I still hold a lot of love for that whole soundtrack though. Anything that isn't Smash Mouth or The Rockafeller Skank will always have a place on my music player.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur's Xbox Live Profile
    Loved the cover more tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by andrite View Post
    How did someone even find this XD let alone a digimon fan
    Dedication to the craft of Digimanz.

I come from the net CloneWarrior's Avatar
    So a British song covered by a Canadian band in a Japanese movie is the third best American movie anthem?
    Last edited by CloneWarrior; 07-14-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CloneWarrior View Post
    So a British song covered by a Canadian band in a Japanese movie is the third best American movie anthem?
    'MURICA!

...I needed that laugh, CloneWarrior.

I come from the net
    She is funny but this seems like the kind of ill-researched/half second google that a website would use. Specific websites but I won't say which. But hey, Digimon showed up. Great. ...Almost no one reading that will remember or even know what it is now.