With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum settings you should know

Forum settings you should know

I'll do this one first since you may have missed it, and it's important if you don't want spam bots indexing your e-mail address.
    Goto Account Related Settings and check off the box next to "Hide email address from public?". If this is not checked off, your e-mail address will display in your profile and any web crawler bots can aquire your e-mail.

This board does let you use quick reply. HOWEVER, it is off by default.
    To enable this feature, goto your profile, and click Look and Layout Preferences
    Scroll down and change "Use quick reply on topic display:" from "don't show at all" to "show, on by default"

Time Offset: The boards are by default GMT-8 (Pacific). To adjust your time zone, add 8 to your current timezone. For example
    People in GMT-5 need to place "3" in the box
    People in GMT-0 need to place "8" in the box
    People in GMT-9 need to place "-1" in the box

Return to topic after posting: Forum default will send you back to the subforum rather than the thread like on the old forums. If you would like to see the thread after you post rather than the forum, goto Look and Layout Preferences and check the box that's next to "Return to topics after posting by default".

Pop up alert on new PM: Goto Personal Message Options and check the box next to "Show a popup when you receive new messages"

Re: Forum settings you should know

I again want to say, I can't stress enough the Hide E-mail checkbox. Looking at the userlist, approximatly half of you are still displaying your e-mail addresses for the world to see.

you could always have them like i have mines (for my msn name anyway)

stuart444(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

wouldn't that be better? O.o so it wouldn't matter if they were hidden or not
    A wise man once said to me, "life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid" - Duthos

email gathering bots often can be set to know that (at) and other stuff mean @, so its possible it wont matter
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Plus if you set it like that, you will not get your registration e-mail, therefore if you screw up your password, you won't know what it is.

Ain't got no mojo...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart444
    Or: stuart444HATEShotmailSPAMcoBOTSuk or something ;D
    My Webcomic: Waves of Re-Entry

Quote Originally Posted by Izkata
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart444
    Or: stuart444HATEShotmailSPAMcoBOTSuk or something ;D
    XD *seriously considers that <_<*
    A wise man once said to me, "life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid" - Duthos

I'm a Maniac

i dont really care if ppl know my email...but if there are spammers...i will take it out.

Ain't got no mojo...

Quote Originally Posted by vipertongn
    i dont really care if ppl know my email...but if there are spammers...i will take it out.
    Yeah, me too. But it seems really pointless to hide our emails when we just give it out with the msn messenger thingy... =(
    &quot;Rawrrr~&quot;

Ain't got no mojo...

Thanks for telling us how to adjust our time zone. I would definitely hide my email, I don&#39;t want any of those stupid spam bots sending me crap.
    Choose the bottom half, or the top half for your signature. Not both. -- Gear Orangutan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast