17th Anniversary of X-Evolution

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
xevoposterhq_july26_2020.jpg

It's January 3rd in Japan, so today is the 17th Anniversary of when X-Evolution aired on television!

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

X-Evolution was based on Digimon Chronicle, the mini comic included with the Digimon Pendulum X V-Pets. It's an abridged and altered version of that story, with the most notable change being the removal of any human characters, which is still reasonably rare in Digimon stories.

Originally announced as a full length feature, a press release re-announced it as a TV special a little more than a month before it aired, with only some of the initially announced merchandise.

X-Evolution was directed by Hiroyuki Kakudou, well known to Digimon fans as the director of Adventure and 02.

The screenplay is credited to two writers:
Kazunori Ito, who worked on Dirty Pair, Ghost in the Shell, .hack, Patlabor, Urusei Yatsura, and a number of other well known franchises.
Miu Kawasaki, who worked on .hack (including various novels for the franchise) and Air Master.

Imagi animated X-Evo during their early upswing and it ended up being one of the few bigger projects they did that ended up being released.

While X-Evolution came and went reasonably quickly, it did end up getting a DVD later in 2005, some elements were used in Digimon World 4 (released as Digimon World X in Japan a couple days after X-Evo came out), and while various announced toys didn't ever appear after their initial announcement in a press release, the Digitalize Booster Pack for the Digimon card game had a large number of cards featuring characters from the movie (using their movie CGI renders), and Alphamon continues to get new products with X-Evolution branding, a big one being the Digivolving Spirits figure, plus a recent updated Figuarts.

In addition, Digimon Chronicle, which X-Evolution was based on, got a sequel story to tie into the Digimon X V-Pets. With the recent release of the Digimon X in the US, plus the upcoming US release of the X2, even this is still relevant.

A couple years ago X-Evolution streamed as part of DigiFes 2020 Online. As promotional fodder for that, we finally got a good high quality version of the poster art (embedded above.)

We're also a couple months away from the 9th Digimon Card Game booster set, which will have X-Antibody Digimon as a main focus.

So despite coming and going itself relatively quickly, elements of X-Evolution still pop up a decent amount.

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 12,183

Dante

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still my favorite Digimon animation. Hopefully we'll get an official HD sub one day.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We need a sequel with better animation.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was (and still is) a very unique piece of media for the franchise. In that there was zero human involvement, it showed that the Digimon themselves were capable of pulling off a compelling/dramatic narrative.

Only a shame they didn’t do more of them.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have never watched it. I think I will watch during my break at the end of January following my university exams.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When you separate humans and Digimon in this franchise the narrative and premise really begins to fall apart, as both this movie and Frontier proved to me (and in two opposite ways, too!)

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember reading someone say that X Evolution saved the franchise following Frontier.

Ultimamon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Best Digimon movie for me, no question.

Alphamon here is way better then the one in Tri.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is one of the weirder movies. I saw it but it wasn't my favorite.

Pythia

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember reading someone say that X Evolution saved the franchise following Frontier.
I tend to see it more as without Frontier X-Evolution wouldn't be a thing in the first place.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Best Digimon movie for me, no question.

Alphamon here is way better then the one in Tri.
I'm wondering whether he's better than the one in Cyber Sleuth, though. But I will say that this has the most interesting portrayal of Omegamon to date. Goes from being some great savior who's just conveniently miracle'd into existence, to being an absolutely savage antagonist turned anti-hero. Also, I thought the rebellion group had a pretty interesting, albeit overly familiar*, assortment of Digimon (including Mummymon's first stint as a protagonist).

*Though, being overly familiar kinda worked in the movie's favor, considering how many reprising actors it featured. They clearly wanted to make some throwbacks to all four anime series (shame that LordKnightmon got shafted, though), with a proper Digimon anime no longer airing at the time (and when you think about it, X-Antibody Digimon themselves are meant to be throwbacks).

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I might agree with ReArise. I forgot that the MC does have a real picture. I really would watch that.