With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AppliMonsters Episode 38: Get Gatchmon Back! Grandpa Den'emon's Trial!

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt

AppliMonsters Episode 38: Get Gatchmon Back! Grandpa Den'emon's Trial!

Digimon Universe AppliMonsters Episode 38: Get Gatchmon Back! Grandpa Den'emon's Trial!

Episode thread for Episode 38

Air Time:
    Saturday 24th June - 9.30am (Japan)
    Saturday 24thth June - 1.00am (UK)
    Friday 23rd June - 8.30pm (EST)
    Friday 23rd June - 5.30pm (PST)

If you are not sure of your time then please use:
    www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_JP.aspx

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before episode airs. You can discuss any 'next episode' previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

To join the chatroom to discuss the episode as it airs and after it airs with others either click the chat link at the top of WtW or use your irc program to join.

Server- irc.rizon.net
    Room- #wtw

Update- Episode 38 is streaming freely at TV Tokyo's website for the time being at the time of this edit (9:42pm Pacific, 6/23/2017.)

Raw Japanese with no subtitles, as expected.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/appmon/streaming/

-They didn't waste any time for useless things this time, nice!
    -Poor Ai, you were in the same room with them, but only her that didn't get transferred to AR field
    - Leviathan so scary, it's been actively trying to kill its creator, Den'emon, also i guess Leviathan was what killed Den'emon by hijacking medical instruments?
    - So is that just a recorded video/program of Den'emon, his digital ghost, or has he become a living thing in AR field?
    - I guess Gatchmon-tachi doesn't really experience Tri-syndrome, it's just that there's something interfering their vision of the kids?
    - Applidirive DUO just appeared/evolved like that? Was hoping that there would be moments of that applidriver question for the other 3 kids, but at least Haru got it
    - LOL at Eri being revenge-tsundere at Dokamon and Hackmon reuniting moment with Rei was just like that
    - Cloud... so he can access any AR fields or what?
    - Mienumon's ghost next ep? So i guess Warudamon is gone for good too?

Kinda disappointed that there was basically no struggle for the kids to see their Appmon alive again. They apparently didn't really 'die' in the first place? Unless the AR Field the kids are in some kinda afterlife area and I just didn't pick up on that from the Japanese?

Apart from the complete lack of payoff for the 'death', the rest of the episode was fine. Apparently Leviathan is more interested in Yuujin than the fact that the 'deaths' of the Buddy Appmon didn't actually kill them... or keep them separated from the kids for very long.. in fact, the kids have DUOs now. Leviathan, your plan sucks if all it takes is the kids getting back to the AR Field to undo the whole thing...

I like that they finally give some kinda reason for Ai to exist - apparently the bookstore is built on top of one of Den'emon's research areas, and I THINK Ai is related to one of his research partners (I need to rewatch this part and double check my translation). I would say I'm disappointed about Ai not getting to go to the AR Field with them, but honestly, unless they were planning on giving her a partner in this episode, it would just REALLY detract from the main struggle of the episode. But soon, Ai, you need to do something more substantial in this series to justify your existence...

The actual character development on display here is pretty great. At one point, Haru even asks Eri "What about your job?" and her immediate response is "Dokamon and the others are more important." That kind of sums up this episode for me. We really see these kids are fully bonded with their Appmon partners now, despite some rocky moments. We also see that Rei is warming up to the rest of the group, too. In his own way. He uses his abrasive comments to basically spur them on, and tries to pull them out of their comfort zones and be more serious. It's actually a nice contrast to the more saccharine parts of the episode.

Anyway, the only real issue I see is that despite everything the kids did this episode being awesome... it was all some kinda manufactured test by Minerva, and even their path to getting to the AR Field was just handed to them by Den'emon. So while the emotional growth is there, the actual competence is kinda lacking. They really are just child soldiers for Minerva and Den'emon...
    This could be an interesting concept to explore in Appmon if it decides to do another serious tonal shift. But since I doubt that will happen, it kinda cheapens the heroic journey to have 90% of the problems solved for them...

I was really hoping the graveyard thing was gonna involved the 'dead' buddy appmon, but apparently the death thing is already over with and the graveyard thing is gonna be to explore former opponents... Also could be interesting, but I don't see why these had to be mutually exclusive...

I kinda hate that apparently when Haru got sent back to the human world (I need to double check the time/date at the beginning of the episode when it gets uploaded to youtube, so disregard if it's just poor framing), the anime decided it needed to let like 3 weeks pass so that things could resync with real world time... Just fucking let the tension build from episode to episode you goddamn terrible writers! Stop being a slave to this synced time gimmick! It is the main cause of your problems!

The parallels to Tri Loss exist, but I assume everyone is going to mention those, and it didn't really bother me or leave much of an impact, so I don't really feel the need to comment aside from 'yep, that happened'.
    Last edited by Jay Ukyou; 06-23-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

I'm a Maniac
    Eri's Appliarize scene had considerably better animation than the other 3.

So the next episode is literally boss rush before the rematch?
    And do we have action on this episode?

Oh yeah, the kids get to beat up some kinda Minerva ice sculpture.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Follow clanc On Twitter Add clanc on Facebook Visit clanc's Youtube Channel
    I... what? when? who? yes?
    Anyways, SCORPMON (Aka Cameramon/Satellamon), SUKASHIMON, MIENUMON AND SAKUSHIMON (Aka Warudamon) NEXT WEEK
    By the way, those Appliarize sequence are exaggerated as hell, it's nice to finally see Hackmon getting Appliarized tho
    Last edited by clanc; 06-23-2017 at 09:09 PM.

So, next episode they're in a mission to rescue Yuujin?
    He was in some sort of table, so I think Biomon is planning to manipulate his data too (?).

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post

Anyway, the only real issue I see is that despite everything the kids did this episode being awesome... it was all some kinda manufactured test by Minerva, and even their path to getting to the AR Field was just handed to them by Den'emon. So while the emotional growth is there, the actual competence is kinda lacking. They really are just child soldiers for Minerva and Den'emon...
    This could be an interesting concept to explore in Appmon if it decides to do another serious tonal shift. But since I doubt that will happen, it kinda cheapens the heroic journey to have 90% of the problems solved for them...

Can you really call them child soldier though? They get involved by their own choice with the exception of Rei, Eri didn't even touch her driver until Haru come to her.

Even then when it come to it Minerva is pretty reasonable given her(?) circumstances and still better than "I trick kid and trapped them in digital world until they made progress" Ophanimon...

Added the TV Tokyo link to the first post since it's up.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast