With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AppliMonsters Episode 36: The Election Comes to a Close!

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt

AppliMonsters Episode 36: The Election Comes to a Close!

Digimon Universe AppliMonsters Episode 36: The Election Comes to a Close! The Demonic Hand Draws Near Eri!

Episode thread for Episode 36

Air Time:
    Saturday 10th June - 9.30am (Japan)
    Saturday 10th June - 1.00am (UK)
    Friday 9th June - 8.30pm (EST)
    Friday 9th June - 5.30pm (PST)

If you are not sure of your time then please use:
    www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_JP.aspx

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before episode airs. You can discuss any 'next episode' previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

To join the chatroom to discuss the episode as it airs and after it airs with others either click the chat link at the top of WtW or use your irc program to join.

Server- irc.rizon.net
    Room- #wtw

Update- Episode 36 is streaming freely at TV Tokyo's website for the time being at the time of this edit (11:51pm Pacific, 6/9/2017.)

Raw Japanese with no subtitles, as expected.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/appmon/streaming/

I'm a Maniac
    Pretty nice episode; the staff likes Eri too much to actually put her in an actual damsel in distress situation. The preview looks pretty intense; featuring an actual fist-to-fist fighting scene.

I'm a Maniac
    Nice episode, even though there isn't a whole lot of fighting. It's made me realize that the whole Appliyama plot appears to be as important to Appmon as a series as the Leviathan one. That's probably why we feel there's too much filler in the series, we are used to thinking the show is meant to be mostly fighting the big bad's lackeys and we considered the idol plot as secondary. After seeing this episode I feel that from the writers stand point that isn't the case. It could be that it's done this way to attract young girls as well as young boys.

Well that was uh... quite the amazing episode! Astounding episode even. One of, if not the best episode in all of Appmon I'd say. This episode to me solidified Eri as easily the best character in the show right alongside Yuujin. I love the little montage we had of her as she grew throughout the series with her insert song playing in the background. Got me a bit emotional. I wish I could understand what was being said throughout the episode because the entire bit with Rei seemed to be extremely interesting.

Knight totally has a thing for Eri

And what do you know? Sleepmon is still relevant!

Follow clanc On Twitter Add clanc on Facebook Visit clanc's Youtube Channel
    • E R I - C H A N
    • OH SHIT SLEEPMON APPEARED
    • OH SHIT THE MEN IN BLACK APPEARED
    • OH SHIT YUUJIN IS NOT WITH THEM
    • NOW THEY KNOW THAT L-CORP IS LEVIATHAN
    • NOW THEY KNOW THAT KNIGHT IS EVIL
    • That KnightxEri scene was disturbing...
    • ERI=BEST DIGIMON GIRL
    • MAIN 4 ULTIMATES VS ULTIMATE 4 HYPE (THIS WON'T END WELL
    • GLOBEMON VS CHARISMON HYPE

Sorry for the capslock, this episode was awesome and the past week's one better!!
    Still, I wonder how will they struggle with the Ultimate 4, knowing that all of them (except Fakemon) are actually weaker than the heroes. Maybe the time limit will screw them up? Still, why they don't have a Time Limit?
    It's also worth pointing out that in the preview, Charismon was glowing red. Either:
    • It's that Alf=Ein attack (Either that or it's the brainwashing technique)
    • It's the Burst Mode (One the Applidrive, if you spam the button while you're appliarize them is playing the appliarized Appmon will enter the Burst Mode and be stronger. Is like that Touch feature from the DUO, but sligthly weaker)

This is the Appmon I knew!

Ain't got no mojo...
    so who want the hackmon ringtone?
    Last edited by hackmon; 06-09-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Oh snap! Plot is happening now! It's such a refreshing change!

There's a lot to unpack here. First, there's the culmination of Eri's character arc. Overall, I'd say it's been a pretty satisfying one. Seeing her start as an annoying pretentious loudmouth, and learning more and more about her goals and motivations as she works on her career and tries to give back to her mom is just satisfying. Even more satisfying is seeing how all that hard work has paid off and turned her into a badass action hero. Her scene where she gets the 'big reveal' directly from Knight and she quickly recovers and turns the confrontation into a defiant speech, complete with kicking the MIB's assess and jumping off the huge yacht? That's a pretty powerful scene for anyone, let alone a female character in -DIGIMON- of all things.

But there's a lot more going on in this episode than just Eri's self-actualization. We also see Astra's genuine pride and investment in his friend, which is a huge change considering how he and Eri started out (and still sometimes act like). Haru also gets some real leader moments here, quickly organizing everyone once a threat is apparent.

And there's Yuujin's mysterious absence, which is brought up by Haru twice in the episode so you don't forget it. They are building something up here!

Rei's part in the episode was brief, but holy-crap-so-immensely-important! He gets into L-Corp to try to get some unrelated data, and winds up FINALLY figuring out L-Corp is related to Leviathan! I had to really reflect on how I feel about this being considered "a big reveal". Obviously, the audience has known about L-Corp's and Leviathan's connection since the first episode. But have the characters? Is this genuinely a surprise to them? What do they know about Leviathan (and what DON'T they know that would keep them from being able to make the connection)?

I think, apart from the possibility of them seeing the L symbol on the phone-like-structures in the AR Field... there's really only one thing that points to a possible connection to L-Corp. That both L-Corp and Leviathan start with "L". Which is obvious in a narrative because there aren't thousands of buzzwords that start with L, but in real life, not everything that starts with L is related to eachother...
    Even the attack on WaffleOS doesn't implicate L-Corp, since from the AppliDrivers' point of view, ALL of Leviathan's flunkies' attacks have been random acts of messing up app-related things. Sure, L-Corp obviously profited from the attack, but we only know about that because it's important to the story. Any of the other random appmon-of-the-week attacks could have resulted in major shifts in contract-holding for various companies due to the fallout of unexpected dangerous technology failures.
    So... yes. I'm okay with the AppliDrivers being surprised by the revelation of L-Corp as Leviathan. But... it still wasn't a very satisfying reveal for me. Luckily, Eri was badass enough through it that it kept things entertaining.

Back to Rei, we see some serious development for him that I almost missed. He's finally starting to properly open up and connect with the other characters. His outright devotion to Hackmon, to the point of nearly sacrificing himself, shows a huge change from the "I have to stay alive at all costs to save Hajime" mantra he was telling Haru and the others at the beginning of the show. And once he -does- save Hackmon, the two of them just tacitly agree to immediately seek Haru for help. And in a bit of thematically-appropriate but still overly-coincidental timing, they get to give the "big reveal" about L-Corp at the exact same time as Knight does to Eri. Cute.

The swan paddleboat that Haru and the others use to get to Knight's yacht reminds me of the one from Adventure and that just makes me happy.

Oh yeah, and we get a proper dramatic cliffhanger this episode for the first time in... ever?
    The Ultimate Four get summoned, the heroes are trapped in an AR Field, and things are about to get even more serious. I guess this means that the next few episodes are out of sync with the airdates in the real world for a bit (I hope for the rest of the series. Just give me a continuous plot for the next 15 episodes, Appmon, PLEASE!)

- I'm a little disappointed that it appears that Izumi isn't going to be an antagonist.
    - Where the hell is Yuujin?
    - Bootmon's name is finally revealed!
    - Rei falls into the AR Field into apparently the Dark Web where he comes face-to-font with Leviathan himself? So the thing chasing Gatchmon in the first episode really WAS Leviathan, not just some Viramon?
    - Not gonna lie, I hate everything about idols and idol music. But I'm glad to see appmon give a female character a decidedly-feminine story arc, and treat it seriously and pack in as much drama and character development as possible without resorting to a romance plot. I don't see how anyone can say Eri is a poor character. It's not even like the idol thing is the only part of her character...
    - Sleepmon Sleepmon SLEEPMON~ (I kinda hope he's Leviathan's personal bodyguard and transforms a la Belphemon Rage Mode.)
    Last edited by Jay Ukyou; 06-09-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Yeah Having the same symbol doesn't mean you are related, because if that was the case then Nazi and Buddhist are the same because they both have swastika.

Everyone seemed to love this episode, I can't wait to see it.
    And my nightmare of possesive Knight ship come true.

Follow clanc On Twitter Add clanc on Facebook Visit clanc's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by My Good Friend salman
    Yeah Having the same symbol doesn't mean you are related, because if that was the case then Nazi and Buddhist are the same because they both have swastika.
    WHOA.
    What if L-Corp is based on the nazi?!
    Wait no, that'd be too controversial and dark for Digimon standards, let alone Appmon.
    Still, that's a nice analogy

Quote Originally Posted by clanc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by My Good Friend salman
    WHOA.
    What if L-Corp is based on the nazi?!
    Wait no, that'd be too controversial and dark for Digimon standards, let alone Appmon.
    Still, that's a nice analogy
    We already have real nazi in all but name in digimon *point to Kurata and his minion*
    Human supremacist and Anti Digimon group.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast