With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digivolving Spirits Details, Images, and a Promo Video! Update- MetalGarurumon Images

Digivolving Spirits Details, Images, and a Promo Video! Update- MetalGarurumon Images

We've gotten details about this lately as we've been waiting on that countdown...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

But the countdown is over and now we have a bunch more!

We have the first full official look at Digivolving Spirits, the new transforming Digimon figure line from Tamashii that is beginning as part of both the 10th Anniversary of Tamashii and the 20th Anniversary of the Digimon franchise.

And they decide to start us off with an utterly fantastic trailer.

I love that they showed a CGI version of the figure transforming the way the toy will transform and it was very nice of them to subtitle most of the details, but let's go ahead and look at all the new information we have from Tamashii.

So first up...

The first Digivolving Spirits figure, WarGreymon, will be available to order on Monday, May 29th. This figure will be made generally available and will not be an exclusive product.

It will cost 7,020 yen and ship in November.

On top of that, they've given us a TON of details on the very concept and thoughts of this new toyline. Text and translations in quote boxes were left 'as is'.

First up, the Brand Statement. What is Digivolving Spirits?
    A worldwide hit in the early 2000’s the monumental transforming figure series, “Digivolving Figures” achieved “evolution” through physical transformation. This concept is pursued this time to the highest level. The pre-evolution “cuteness” and post-evolution “coolness” as well overall proportions are replicated using the newest sculpting technology. The finish of the final product is also given special consideration, using die-cast and chrome finish on some parts.
    Striving to be the ultimate Digimon transforming figure series for collectors, this is “Digivolving Spirits”.
    Image Thumbnail (custom)

Concept & Proportions
    The basic concept of the “Digivolving Spirits” series is to achieve designs that weren’t possible with the technology of the earlier “Digivolving series”.
    The first release, WarGreymon, follows in the footsteps of the basic transformation from the “Digivolving series”.
    But improvements to the joint system and the overall balance have resulted in a true Digivolution of the figure’s proportions. The result is a transforming figure that’s nostalgic and fresh at the same time.
    Image Thumbnail (custom)

Digivolving
    We thoroughly investigated the design to determine the appropriate colors for WarGreymon.
    Not only is it painted down to the tiniest detail, but the yellow-to-orange change when it Digivolves is perfectly captured as well, without needing to swap parts.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Materials
    The “Digivolving Spirits” use the best materials for demanding collectors. The body parts are molded in color, and in addition to accurate coloring, they’ve been texture processed for a tactile feel as well.
    For WarGreymon, the silver colored chest, waist and arms, said to be made of “Chrondigizoit,” are molded in die-cast metal for a true metallic feel.
    And the Dramon Killer weapons in its hands are finished in chrome plating, for a luxurious feel overall.

A Comparison with Previous Products
    The sharp-looking sculpt represents a culmination of the Collectors Division’s years of creative and technical know-how. It’s designed to be suitable for discerning grown-up collectors.
    When you compare the old and new products, you can see just how far the proportions in particular have evolved. We think you’ll agree that the transformed WarGreymon looks every bit as good as a non-transforming figure design. Also, the range of motion in the neck is amazingly improved.
    Image Thumbnail (custom)

Commitment to Excellence
    The “Digivolving Spirits” series was developed with a multi-generational team including Digimon’s original creator Kenji Watanabe and younger staff who were still children when the original “Digivolving series” came out.
    Under Watanabe’s strict supervision, the resulting figures represent ideal visual portrayals of his characters. While taking their lead from the anime, they incorporate playful American comic-style touches, never compromising on the detail that makes a three-dimensional portrayal great.
    As for WarGreymon, Watanabe is particularly proud of the facial designs.
    In addition to the first release of WarGreymon, work is proceeding with the second in the series, Metal Garurumon. Other Digimon not released in the earlier series are under consideration too, so stay tuned for new developments in the Digivolving Spirits series!

Hiroyuki Kakudou (Digimon Adventure Series Director)
    I’m filled with deep emotion to know that Digimon has been loved for such a long time and to see this new product series, the “Digivolving Spirits” coming out. It’s a nice surprise for me to be able to comment like this even 18 years after the first season of Digimon. I know everyone is excited about this new figure series, but I bet I’m the most excited.

Kenji Watanabe (Chief Designer, well known for being with the franchise since the beginning)
    “Digivolving Series”, which was the memorable first transforming figures produced by Wiz Co.,Ltd., has been revived!
    I’m really happy that this time we are able to fully commit to excellence and include all the details that were not in the previous series as they were made for children. Both of Agumon and WarGreymon’s proportions are so cool! I hope you like them!

And while already teased in the video with a silhouette, they have a small teaser image up for figure number 2 in the line...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

MetalGarurumon! Edit- They replaced the misspelled image with a fixed copy.

In addition, the teaser video reveals a special version of the WarGreymon figure...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This limited edition 'clear' version of WarGreymon will be limited to 3000 units and sold at Premium Bandai. It will come with a limited edition 15th Anniversary Digivice and a light up stand with sounds. The overall package will be called the "Complete Memory Set." The cost of the set will be 19,440 yen.

This is almost certainly the special set that was previously mentioned in reference to the updated 15th Anniversary "WarGreymon Color" Digivice.

With all of these new details it really appears that Digivolving Spirits is an attempt to make a great looking line of transforming figures with quality as a priority. And with it looking like the normal versions won't be exclusive products, I expect these will be heavily imported by many of us.

More Digivolving Spirits details will be revealed during the Osaka stop on the Tamashii Nations 10th Anniversary World Tour during a discussion with Adventure Director Hiroyuki Kakudou and long time Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe, along with well known voice actor Minoru Shiraishi acting as moderator.

They will be discussing the general plans for the Digivolving Spirits figure series and they will reveal the package design for the first series of figures.

The event will be livestreamed on both niconico and Youtube and there is no notice of a geolock. (Thanks to Actar for the heads up on the Youtube stream.)

They list the stream starting at 3:30pm on Saturday, May 27th (Japan Time.) (That's 11:30pm Pacific on Friday May 26th.)

The previous Digivolving Spirits thread can be found here.

Update- Preview photos of the Digivolving Spirits display at the Tamashii event via Manten Web!

First up, photos of the WarGreymon part of the display...

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

This includes the figure (along with the old figure) on dispaly, and our first look at the packaging!

Next up is a look at the Complete Memory Set!

The clear version of the figure photos far nicer than you'd expect and it looks awesome.

And last but not least...

Our first look at MetalGarurumon! It looks rather amazing at first glance to be honest. Very impressive! Nice to see it on display with the original figure also.

Update- Some more images of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, including shots of WarGreymon's back kibble, which I know was of interest to people.

Thanks to Retsumal for this new trio of photos.

Update- Thanks to garm we have translations of the placards on the displays.

WarGreymon
    As part of the goal to have a lineup starring all 8 partner Digimon, Agumon, Taichi Yagami's partner Digimon from Digimon Adventure, makes an appearance. It warp evolves into Wargreymon, by undergoing a complete transformation without the need to add or replace parts.
    You can take a closer look at how this figure differs from the old Super-evolution [Choushinka] series toy, in places such as the body colors.
    MetalGarurumon (Mostly the same as WarGreymon's, only listing the different content.)
    You can take a closer look at how this figure has evolved from the old Super-evolution [Choushinka] series toy in terms of proportions.

Wargreymon (Clear Version)
    A special limited edition set containing the Wargreymon Color Digivice Ver. 15th from the Boys' Toys Division, an Evolution Stage that lights up and makes sounds, and a Digivolving Spirits Wargreymon (Clear Version).
    A limited number will be sold exclusively through Premium Bandai.

Update- We have photos of shikishi boards they added to the displays for the last chunk of the Tamashii event. Thanks to garm for translations.

Image Thumbnail (custom)
    Kenji Watanabe
    Digivolving Spirits!! Thank you for the support!

Image Thumbnail (custom)
    Hiroyuki Kakudou
    Digivolving Spirits (will not include Tokomon!)

Thanks to KnPThCIewBnLz9Y for the photos.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Oh wow is anyone here going to try to get one of those clear versions + Digivices?

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    Oh wow is anyone here going to try to get one of those clear versions + Digivices?
    If I had 200+ dollars to spend I would.

As it is... that's not happening.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    If I had 200+ dollars to spend I would.

As it is... that's not happening.
    You and me both. This would definitely be something I'd get and prominently display.

Heads up, for those who can't access niconico, it's going to be streamed on YouTube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeGszQkQ3uc
    Last edited by Actar; 05-25-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Added the Youtube link to the article.

Junior Commander
    wow, that's more than I was expecting. And yes, the figure looks pretty solid enough... Seems it has good value for money for that price.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    If I made any comments about the proportions being off before, I take it all back. Not that I was all that bothered by it in the first place.

But now that we've had a proper look at it, I'm sold. It looks incredible. I'll be sad if there isn't a MetalGreymon to accompany this, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

"Under Watanabe’s strict supervision, the resulting figures represent ideal visual portrayals of his characters. While taking their lead from the anime, they incorporate playful American comic-style touches, never compromising on the detail that makes a three-dimensional portrayal great."

Well... that explains the inaccuracies. (^.^;) While I would have LOVED an anime-accurate figure (as we have yet to get a good one), at least I know they had a reason for not sticking with the designs ...but WTF is with "playful American comic-style touches"? (^.^;)

All in all, with that in mind, it's looking great, though the Agumon mode still leaves a ton to be desired. It's definitely the best-looking sculpt we've got out of Bandai in recent years and if the video is to be believed, the articulation in the neck will be there as well. Also, you really have to admit that the original figure holds up freaking amazingly when compared to the new one. Still, those new die-cast chest and shin guards are pretty sweet.

The gigantic backpack is one of the things that I'm most concerned about. As I had rightly predicted, the entirety of Agumon's back, bottom and chest ends up on WarGreymon's back instead of just the chest. I am very worried that they won't be able to peg into place. Hardly "designs that weren’t possible with the technology of the earlier “Digivolving series”." Would love to have had a shot of the back, but I doubt that that's something they would be proud to show off.

The talking/light-up base is freaking amazing... But why the clear figure? Why the Digivice? It's a cool set, but I'm not sure how this can beat the CSA Digivice in terms of voice clips and sound effects. Also, I really don't see how clear plastic is a good thing for transforming figures. It's not accurate, it's fragile and you can see kibble through the plastic! (O.O) Perhaps it's a reference to the clear MetalGreymon figure?

I really don't need this... but the fact that it's limited is playing on my collector mentality! (>.<)

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Technically the anime model is inaccurate to Watanabe's original design, which this is based on :P

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast