With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lonewolf in Digimon Savers

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter

Lonewolf in Digimon Savers

The "Lonewolf" is a character type in Digimon, defined by being the moody character, who will inevitably clash with the goggle boy at some point during the story. He will usually break away from the main group at some point, normally from the very beginning, only to return afterwards. They all have in common that they have gone through some kind of loss (parents, brothers or sisters, etc.) or at least a trauma of some sort, due to loneliness, divorce, etc. which has strongly defined their personality These people usually start out cold and heartless, but become kinder as the season progresses.They are normally partnered with feline or canine-esque Digimon, but there are some exceptions, and they are often associated with the blue, black or purple color.

According to this criteria, if I'm not wrong, we'd have:
    *Yamato from Digimon Adventure
    *Ken from 02
    *Ruki from Tamers
    *Kouji from Frontier
    *Kiriha from Xros Wars
    *Ryouma from Young Hunters
    *Rei from Digimon Universe
    *Neo from Adventure V-Tamer 01
    *Shou from Digimon Next
    *Yuuya from Re:Digitize Decode
    *Arata from Cyber Sleuth
    *Shouma from Next Order
    *Naoto from Digimon Universe (3DS)

But regarding Digimon Savers, there are lot of people who claim Thoma to be the lonewolf of this season, while I personally think that Ikuto fits way better with this archetype for so many reasons...so my question here is, what do you guys think?

In the deepest pits of hell, and the deep reaches of space... Occasionally both.
    Follow Xadhoom on DeviantArt Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    so my question here is, what do you guys think?
    I'm not really seeing how there's any grounds for discussion: Thomas fits pretty much every common characteristic listed.

Red shirt
    I still think it's Tohma. He goes from heartless calculating lonesome genius to human genius. Also, there are moments where he has conflicts and rivals Masaru, which is also a trend amongst lonewolves and protagonists.
    Ikuto fits more in the Hikari / Koichi / Yuu category of digidestined that come later into the plot...

I thought Mamemo from N0 was the lone wolf, especially since Shoma didn't appear until the end.
    Last edited by Takeshi55; 05-19-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Follow ReiKatsura On Twitter
    I wonder when Rei will join the group...

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Thoma certainly fits with some of the characteristics, especially since he lost his mother and stuff, but for some reason, I feel like the lonewolf should be someone "not" that correct, Thoma is literally the perfect guy, and if you compare him with the rest of the lonewolves, he seems more like the ideal group leader as Taiki, than even Masaru itself. Ikuto however, seems more like the solitary feral vandal, here you can really tell a deviation from the rest, and understand that his life has been conpletely different, perhaps since he's half-Digimon behavior-wise, I can literally see Ikuto as a half-lonewolf. Furthermore, he has several issues with Masaru and the rest during the first half of the series. Dunno, maybe some of the characterization in Savers is more complex than that, which constrasts a lot by the bye, with the lack of personality from Yoshino.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post
    I thought Mamemo from N0 was the lone wolf, especially since Shoma didn't appear until the end.
    Assuming you are talking about Mameo, hd is more like a helper in the background, especially after his implication in the Digital World during the events of Digimon World 1 and since he's the senpai of Shouma, but I would arguably claim that Shouma feels more like the rival of Takuto/Shiki and like the lonewolf itself.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    To each their own on this discussion, but, personally, I think "lonewolf" and similar stock categories for characters are lazy and stupid in the first place. To me it seems pretty obvious that Touma is the "lonewolf" and Ikuto the "sixth Ranger," but if neither of them fit the categories perfectly then I can only congratulate Savers on just barely failing to color quite within the lines.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Completely digital The Chaos Entity's Avatar
    Yeah, definitely Thomas.
    This is just a note to say that I'm on the Autism Spectrum (Annoyingly, I was never told whether it was 'just' high-functioning autism, or Asperger's syndrome), so if I don't make sense, or am incoherent, please ask what it is I mean politely. Thank you~

I never understood why people called them lone wolves. They have wolf partners, but I mean they have partners that automatically makes them not lone. lol. Plus Yamato has the crest of friendship, and takes care of Takeru so it's even weirder.

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    I think it's pretty evident that Touma is supposed to fill the 'loner' archetype in Digimon, so I dunno how much there is to discuss here. He also happens to be the Smart Guy among the core characters, which causes him to play double duty as both the primary foil to Masaru (his talent and skill is supposed to contrast with Masaru's will power) as well as the character who regularly explains things to the audience. It's a dynamic that you see in too many shounen anime to name, but Naruto and Sasuke definitely jump to the top of mind.

In the case of Ikuto: it's not uncommon for "Sixth Ranger" characters to be initially hostile or standoffish to the main characters before they eventually come around. And while Ikuto does act as a foil to Masaru during one arc in Savers, because Savers is dominated by its protagonist, that's not terribly surprising. Tohma and Ikuto aren't Masaru's only foils: Satsuma is at times, Kouki is for a spell, you could make a case for Kurata as a foil as well, and let's not forget Suguru.
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast