With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Translated Details from Habu Interview About Hacker's Memory

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    Hudie/Butterfly is an important keyword in HM's story, and is linked to Zhuangzi's dream of a butterfly; how the digital world is sort of an extension of the real world and part of our daily lives, until you start to question which one is the actual reality? e.g. you have hackers that lead normal lives in the real world, but are 'special' in the digital world. One of the questions the hackers will face is 'as a hacker, which world should I protect?', linking back to the dream of a butterfly.
    That's the kind of thing I want to hear, a story with a consistent theme running through it has more promise than your average "here's the spiky evil monster that will threaten the world this time around", although I'm sure we'll get some of those too at some point.
    At this point I kind of wonder if there was always that Zhuangzi reference implicitly in the lyrics of Butter-fly....
    And of course if the game's roster doesn't include Butterflamon I will be greatly dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    When Cyber Sleuth first sold overseas, there were media remarks on "Why does Japan still make turn-based games?" but the makers of CS feel that turn-based system is one that doesn't grow outdated, and it allows for full control over your units' movements and tactics.
    It's an understandable sentiment. Outside of the handheld and mobile markets Japan is clearly more devoted to it's turn based RPGs than any other country.
    Personally I'm a bit torn about turn based combat. In general, if it is well executed (and isn't some annoying indirect system like in DW1 style games) even a very simple real time combat system feels far more fun and immersive to me than most turn based systems but I guess the advantage of turn based games is that you are not forced to rely on speed or reflexes to get through a battle, that also has its charm. Still in the end as long as they don't feel like leaving their niche it's going to stay the status quo simply because of convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Xros View Post
    They've been recycling and touching up these 3D models since Re: Digitize I doubt they will look that dated (Especially since they're already really accurate). It will just take a long time if they keep adding only 80 at a time.
    That statement is somewhat misleading. Taking a model directly from a previous generation game and simply touching it up is not how development for models like these works. Simply subdividing and adding overall detail to an old model is simply not efficient, between beveling out all the edges in a way that looks natural to sculpting in additional shapes that process would probably be more trouble than it's worth especially when more efficient workflows are available. Re:Digitize itself isn't really a good starting point either, that game introduced very few original models, the original roster of around 100 digimon mainly consisted of a mixture of last-gen models that were around since 2006 (Digimon Savers: another mission) and another newer batch of models that was created for the Adventure PSP game that, while released a few months after re:digitize, was developed around the same time which explains why all the more detailed and overhauled models in re:digitize just happen to be mostly Digimon appearing in the Adventure anime.
    It's models from this batch that reappear in CS but they are not strictly "based" on their versions seen in the PSP games; Rather when creating a new model the 3D artist will create the design as a high poly sculpt that will be later simplified down to a mesh that fits the limitations of the game. The point being that there are probably no low res models slowly being tweaked over time but that super high detailed versions of these models existed long before the simplified PSP models and it is those versions that are reused in later games and as the hardware becomes more powerful they no longer need to be simplified as drastically. This of course introduces the limitation that a game's models can't be more detailed than the original sculpt, and of course the 3D artist will make concessions for their target platform; If you know that the model will be simplified to such an degree that things like toes and other small details won't be retained, why bother creating them at all? This is why, even though they are noticeable smoother than their PSP counterparts, the models from the "Adventure" batch that were used in Cyber Sleuth (Like Etemon and Ogremon for example) are among the least detailed and worst looking models in that game. In contrast models that first debuted in re:digitize Decode ended up looking much better in CS, most likely because that batch was from the very beginning sculpted with far more detail and with intention to be used for games on the Vita and other later consoles (remember that Cyber Sleuth was announced just a few months after the release of Decode).
    So we can assume that the current models are "future proof" to some extent, if there is no big general stylistic shift in future games of course, but the current sculpts will approach their limits at some point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    using the Linkz business model, they just make a couple at a time and basically get paid for each new 'mon they design a 3D model for.
    That's also probably not how things actually work. With the exception of the Volcanicdramon line I doubt that any models are getting produced specifically for Linkz. In all those past updates when a few models were added over time they were never new but "leftovers" from bigger projects like Next 0rder or Cyber Sleuth DLC that get added whenever the people behind linkz come up with some in-game event to introduce them as evolutions. That a few never before seen models, many in exceptional quality, have been introduced to linkz just after a batch of 80 new digimon has been announced for Hacker's Memory is definitely not a coincidence either.

Quote Originally Posted by Digimonuniverse View Post
    You know what i been noticing about each digimon games, that they are drifting away from what make digimon special, i mean digimon is about a group of chosen childrens or teens, who are chosen to save a mysterious world known as the digital world from evil digimon, and that each chosen has one digimon that is meant to be his or her partner with the power of the digivice. Im mean dont get me wrong i love cs and world 3 but it different from the anime. Cs and world 3 dont have digivice and they more trying to compete with pokemon which trying to collecte them all and they shouldnt that why i love digimon because is realistic and different. That the sorta game i want a group of chosen childrens discovering the digital world and they have only one digimon partner
    In my opinion Digimon's most unique aspect is that of a parallel world made from Digital information of computers and networks inhabited by thousands of highly varied monster species created from that same data. The core story of a bunch of kids having an adventure and saving the world (as they tend to do in the majority of shounen anime) is one of the franchise's more generic traits. Not to mention that if you value the characters being more down to earth then Hacker's Memory seems to aim to establish exactly that atmosphere with that talk about the protagonists being "normal people".
    In general Digimon games in general have mostly been very different from the anime, this is not a new thing, not to mention that Digimon games as a concept came before the anime, so why shouldn't they have their own standards? I mean the only "recent" Digimon games that qualify by your standards would be Re:Digitize and... uh... Digimon Savers: Another Mission?
    Last edited by Theigno; 05-13-2017 at 08:34 PM.

...also, don't call me Igno.

Junior Commander
    You know what i been noticing about each digimon games, that they are drifting away from what make digimon special, i mean digimon is about a group of chosen childrens or teens, who are chosen to save a mysterious world known as the digital world from evil digimon, and that each chosen has one digimon that is meant to be his or her partner with the power of the digivice. Im mean dont get me wrong i love cs and world 3 but it different from the anime. Cs and world 3 dont have digivice and they more trying to compete with pokemon which trying to collecte them all and they shouldnt that why i love digimon because is realistic and different. That the sorta game i want a group of chosen childrens discovering the digital world and they have only one digimon partner
    Then there's something wrong with you. Digimon is never about the anime, it began with virtual pet, hence there was digimon world before digimon adventure. Digimon World IS something special for digimon back in the time, bcos it merges a pet simulation aspect with adventure and RPG element.

Dats24 dont get mad, it just my opinion, and yes i know digimon started as a v-pet first but even the v-pet had one digimon that you tame and not a concept of collection digimon, so do your research first dats24 before talking smack. First came the v-pet than the small movie, than the 12/13 episode of digimon adventure that ending up expanding it to 54 episodes

Junior Commander
    Dats24 dont get mad, it just my opinion, and yes i know digimon started as a v-pet first but even the v-pet had one digimon that you tame and not a concept of collection digimon, so do your research first dats24 before talking smack. First came the v-pet than the small movie, than the 12/13 episode of digimon adventure that ending up expanding it to 54 episodes
    There you're also wrong. First vpet came, then the mini manga c'mon digimon, then the v tamer manga, then the first console game Ver. S, then digimon world, then the adv anime. In V tamer there are partners with 2 digimon. Also digimon collection? Remember wonderswan games? It's the first digimon game that is about collection, and nobody even complained, moreover, it's titled "digimon adventure". I guess you're the one who need to do more research. What's so wrong with that?

Even though that, I can agree that CS is the less "digimon" game bcos they only focus on the characters' story and not your digimon teammate
    Last edited by DATS24; 05-13-2017 at 09:11 PM.

You're both wrong about... oh so many things that I don't know where to start.

Let's go ahead and move on from this argument back to actual discussion.

And if I see anymore personal attacks there will be suspensions, regardless of disagreeing with someone that simply isn't acceptable.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno
    At this point I kind of wonder if there was always that Zhuangzi reference implicitly in the lyrics of Butter-fly....
    Hmm, it's certainly possible. The word "dream" comes up at least once in every stanza of Butter-fly.

Though I personally wouldn't have made the connection as Adventure doesn't really follow Zhuangzi's argument, at least IMO.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    I'm just gonna copy/paste something I posted on GameFAQS.
    I gotta say, while a lot of people have been quick to criticize the "expansion pack" nature of this game, I really like the approach that Habu's taking to expanding Cyber Sleuth's roster. Releasing a new story installment, while also updating the previous game to include all the new content, is something I kinda wish Pokemon would adopt (rather than releasing new installments that make the old versions seem obsolete, at least in terms of rosters and game mechanics.... they do get remakes, but then the remakes become obsolete shortly afterwards too, and additions of new forms and such will make certain games seem outdated even within the same generation; consider this: it's now impossible to go to Johto or Kanto without going back a whole three generations, or playing the Virtual Console release that's technically six generations behind). It's also intriguing to think what kind of possibilities this could lead to. It'd be awesome if they remade the DS games as part of this ever-updating series.

Though, I wonder how long they can keep this up. Hacker's Memory being released in a pack with Cyber Sleuth seems feasible since it's only one other game, but what of the third installment? Cutting off the first two games and starting fresh is certainly a possibility, but it would suck if they started this expansion only to end it like that. However, releasing a three-game pack, and then a four-game pack, and so on, just doesn't seem like a wise business move (unless, of course, they were touted as premium editions, which incidentally could also solve the issue of potentially making the change to PS5). Premium DLC packs for older installments seems the most reasonable (incidentally, if newer installments lock off part of the roster unless data's transferred from older games, that would be great incentive to own those games and/or buy DLC). Though, maybe the answer could already lie in how the international version is handled (has it really been 100% confirmed that Hacker's Memory is releasing as a stand-alone in the west?). Really, I'm happy to hear about Habu's enthusiasm to give us a complete Digimon roster one of these days, but I'm a bit concerned as to how he's gonna go about it into the future.
    On another note, I wonder what Habu means by "every" Digimon, specifically. Right off the bat, I think we can safely exclude Appmon, since they've been established from the very beginning as being a subgenre of Digimon. But what about some of those more obscure Digimon? There's a ton of Digimon that, Baby forms aside, haven't even gotten an appearance in the card game (which is currently the closest form of media we have featuring nearly every species). Notable examples of such Digimon include almost every Trailmon variant (not even the iconic Worm, but including Ball, likely as a movie tie-in), V-Tamer's Regulumon and Dominimon (and, while it got one card, we almost never see HolyAngemon's priest form), Blikmon, and quite a few Digimon debuting in Digimon World 3 (even if you exclude the hypothetical Gaiamon; for that matter, Destromon isn't even fought in-game, despite being played up a bit in the game's pre-release promotion, as I recall). Speaking of DW3, there were a ton of enemy recolors, though I doubt they'll ever see the light of day again. Still, I am left wishing for more of DW3's Black Seraphimon, which seems to have been completely displaced by the Frontier variant. Would also be nice to see a return of that wireframe Golemon from the first Digimon World. The aforementioned Baby forms are pretty underused throughout the franchise as is, but there are some that seem forgotten even by those standards, like Pipimon, TokomonX, and TorikaraBallmon (thankfully, the franchise seems to have moved past having one BabyI to every BabyII form, seemingly a relic from the Tamagotchi influence, so implementing them in evolution lines shouldn't be hard).

And then you get into the total clusterfuck that is Xros Wars. Most of the Digimon released during that period haven't even been given levels at this point, and I suspect the only reason Shoutmon and Gumdramon (and their evolutions) were included in next 0rder is due to being so iconic of their respective series (that, and they had models from the Adventure PSP game). And even if such Digimon managed to be converted into the traditional evolution system, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of Digimon Jogressing into Digimon of the same level. It's also really odd that Shoutmon+Star Sword apparently counts as a unique Digimon (even has its own profile on the official site)... which sadly doesn't seem too farfetched when holding a sword is literally all that sets ShoutmonX3 and ShoutmonX4 apart. You also get into all these minor DigiXros and Xros-Up forms.... I suspect a lot of them were just the result of Toei doing whatever the hell they wanted without Bandai's consent, which is why a lot of them never went on to appear in other media nor get a profile on the official site (and I gotta say, I'll be quite happy if this mythology-screwing abomination never gets counted as an official Digimon). The Xros Wars manga had quite its share of obscure forms as well. Probably also worth noting that there've been cards released of non-Digimon like NEO and D-Reaper agents, but we probably shouldn't count on them ever being playable in the Story series (so I guess no Grani, even though "You really are a Digimon").

Lastly, I wonder if there's any hope left for some of these unreleased Digimon. It would be awesome if an RPG series boasting to have "every" Digimon was finally seen as an opportunity to release guys like Technodramon and HolyDigitamamon, and maybe scrapped V-Tamer concepts like Hermmon. Also, weren't there supposed to be non-Ancient versions of the Warrior Ten (I seem to recall Wisemon coming out after AncientWisemon). For that matter, it always miffed me how the "evil" Hybrids never got fused forms (maybe this could come to mind whenever Bamco works on the model for Aldamon and the others? But I guess that's just wishful thinking). At any rate, I think any Digimon that's been featured in Digimon Collectors and/or on the official site's profiles are a safe bet for being included sometime in the future. And how ever many Digimon ultimately end up included, I'm really looking forward to seeing if Habu can bring this "dream game" to fruition, whether it takes him 8 years or 80 years to do so.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 05-19-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234