With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts so far on new tri. Characters?

Thoughts so far on new tri. Characters?

Since we are two movies away from tri. Ending. Along with the fact the characters were more established and revealed, i wondered how did your thoughts on the new characters change?

Was it positive? Negative?

And i do mean new characters like Meiko, Meicoomon, Maki, Daigo, Hackmon, Alphamon and whatever mysterious man is.

I hardly see any conversation pertaining to these characters that isn't just detest that they exist.

I'm on mobile and can't give my whole opinion atm. But the latest movie really made me appreciate these characters more.

Mieko and Mecommon I was kind of indifferent toward them since she didn't get that much development but with what was shown is Loss I'm really looking forward to the development as partners.

With Hackman and Alphamon there to little of them to go on expect to be curious on their roles in this.

With Daigo and Maki: I always liked how Daigo supported the children and really cared for them and I wonder what he is going to do with the info Hackman gave him. Maki I doing to wait to next or last to make a final judgment to see just how or if see recover from the fact that Tapirmon doesn't remember her, I am curious if she doing to stay in a villainous role, find redemption, or just completely break down. My opinion on her is up in the air it just depends on how her character arc is handled.

The Mysterious Man (Evil Genni) I could have really gone without that one scene but besides that, I just want to know what happened to him and if he is going to go back to the old Genni.

Alphamon is my great love. I'm on one side of glad I saw him in anime when I leaving aside film. On the other hand, it honestly would have belonged more as a character in a movie Frontier or Savers. Likewise Yggdrasil and other related features. Regarding Daigo, Maki... Basically I would welcome a better explanation than that they suddenly appear after x years and are members of government organizations... And also the origin of the Chosen Children. We must then ask when was created the organization? What all the time like they did? A Gennai is informed between what research has changed regarding the Digimon on government computers? Meiko only there to it somehow fits without creak whole. The actual figures are fine, but not much background did not. It would work only if we completely ignored for about 90% of the events, what is in this universe have become.

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    Round robin takes on Maki, Daigo, and Meiko so far:

Maki: I love what the OVA has done with this character. I love how Parts 2 and 3 established Maki as someone who frequently invoked her status as an adult to justify her decisions or her behavior, usually about keeping the kids in the dark about specific things, and then the reveal of her backstory in Part 4 turns all of that on its head. I thought that she was a Knight Templar who felt like she had to grow up too quickly and on some level was trying to spare the current generation of Chosen from experiencing that... except apparently she's been trying to recapture the magic of her lost innocence all along! Maki doesn't just lie to others; she's been lying to herself, too (or at least in some intense denial).

Through 4 movies, she is truly a morally ambiguous character. Her motives for facilitating the reboot are incredibly human (as selfish and short-sighted as they are), and although she has turned out to be a rube in the machinations of the enemy, I can't fault her for wanting to see Bakumon again. More, please.

Daigo: I think that I've been the most disappointed with how tri. has utilized Daigo. I think he's a great character on paper, but the cast of the OVA is big enough as it is, and I think that through all 4 films he's received the least amount of attention in terms of character focus and development (I'd say he's about tied with Hikari there). He's more or less an audience surrogate at this point. That said, the reveal about his past in Part 4 did a lot to make him more interesting (especially as making him secretly a foil to Taichi all along), but I was hoping that Daigo would be a more active character in the film's plot than what actually transpired. That's not a complaint -- I just feel like the plot summary for Loss overstates his role in the movie.

Meiko: She's fine. I thought that she would be the audience surrogate character in these films, but that role increasingly has been shifted onto Daigo as it becomes apparent that tri. is just as much Meiko's story as it is the rest of the team. I don't think that she's a Mary Sue or a self-insert; her character flaws are well established, and they are the indirect cause of some considerable angst in the films. I love her confession to Takeru at the end of Part 3 and her confrontation with Meicoomon in Part 4. I still don't like that she effectively supplants Daisuke and his team as the junior members of the group, but that's not her fault (and not a byproduct of her characterization, either).
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

I come from the net
    I like Meiko. ...Yeah. But Meicomon is nice too. She's sort of like Gatomon how the form we normally know her as is her champion. Maki and Daigo being previous CCs sure was a surprise. And brings a lot to their characters.

Maki is the best-written character foil in the entire franchise. Also, the first human in the Adventure timeline to do something bad of their own accord, not because they were possessed by magic darkness.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

In my opinion Meiko and Maki are well written characters. Sorry if I don't lay my thoughts out well, I can't seem to put my thoughts onto paper into coherent thought as of late.

Girls in Digimon always seemed to get the short end of the stick. Sure, the boys got it too in some series'. But you rarely see the girls with well thought conflicts and obstacles they needed to overcome to develop and actually kept that development.

Meiko has a conflicted past that has led to dangerous inaction. Which we see her take responsibility for in Loss. She really grew in that movie. From the shy girl that was scared to fight or being separated from Meicoomon. Then when she was she was relieved. I think they had a rough childhood with Meicoomon nearly going berserk in certain circumstances.

As for Maki, I really fell in love with her after Loss. She is the first antagonist in Digimon to not be controlled by some dark entity in the Digital World. She knew what she was doing, what the consequences were going to be, yet still did it anyway because of her selfishness. She used Meiko and Meicoomon's infection for her plan. Probably guilt tripped Meiko to not tell anyone about Meicoomon's infection. In a franchise that reuses troupes so much, it was really nice to see a different antagonist. I can't wait to see her redemption. I am hoping she comes to her sense and helps the kids. Course, there is the option of psycho-maki. I keep imagining Rena from Higurashi and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened with that crazy look in her eyes!

My thoughts on Daigo are the same. I always liked him being the silly cinnamon roll that cried over eaten sweets. How father-like he was around the kids was so cute and he really reminded me of a leader a lot because of that. Lo and behold I was right. Lol. I like where they are going with this. I hope we get to see the other three Originals in just a background shot of some sort.

So far tri. has shown it's not just going to screw everyone over with these new characters. So far they've dropped hints to everything we've seen so far in the last few movies. I have hoe the next two movies will be just as good.

Digimon Adventure tri. Symbiosis to be released September 30th!! Be there or be square!!
    Hikari! Meiko! Show me your brave heart!!!

Junior Commander
    Maki, Daigo, and Meiko & Meicoomon all bore and irritate me in multiple ways. Sure, they can be "well-written" but that doesn't matter if their stories/character arcs aren't actually interesting.

I was actually liking Daigo and Maki in the first two movies. We had two government agents who were once in a relationship but aren't together anymore, Daigo was conveniently placed in the Chosen Children's high school (which makes sense to me), and Maki flashed that evil grin at the end of Determination. It was great! Unfortunately, they started to really lose me by Confession. Daigo didn't really do anything important, Maki lied about the other Chosen Children in a weirdly written scene, she pulled out Ken's D-3 (or at least a black D-3) and none of the kids questioned it, and we find out she's working for Evil Gennai. Okay...

Loss really sealed the deal for me. As I've stated in other discussion threads, exploring the original Chosen Children as a story element really doesn't excite or interest me. Some people are saying it's well-done, but I don't think that the idea of the original Chosen's Digimon becoming the holy beasts is a good idea -- it feels too neat and simplistic, and it comes across like a plot that a young fan would think up. Having Maki and Daigo be two of those Chosen Children just...I don't know, it doesn't excite me. It actually kind of feels like a let-down. Also, Maki seems a bit incompetent. Did she really think Bakumon would remember her after the reboot? Really?

So I guess for the most part, it's not like their *characterization* bothers me (unless you count Maki being an awful person, which I think she is regardless of her circumstances). I'm just a bit annoyed by how the story is choosing to use these characters. In the end, they feel completely unimportant, like they're all just pawns in this game of Yggdrasil vs. Homeostasis. Also, Daigo's shirt has a star on it which is evocative of Taichi's original shirt from Adventure, which normally isn't a big deal at all but after seeing him with goggles in the flashback, it's just annoying how much they're forcing the Taichi comparison.

I wouldn't say that the drama between Daigo and Maki is particularly gripping. I would not say that Maki's backstory about losing Bakumon pulled any heartstrings of mine because I'm mostly angry at her for her stupid, selfish, and ruinous decisions made in the present. The fact that they're the original Chosen Children already feels silly to me, but adding to that their partners (sans Bakumon) became the holy beasts just...I don't know, it seems to make them seem "special" but at the same time it makes them seem contrived and uninspired.

As for Meiko and Meicoomon...they're okay. I'm mostly annoyed by how the franchise is treating Meiko as if she were a longtime member of the Chosen Children by including her in promotional material with all of the kids. I understand why they're doing that but it seems odd to focus so much on one special Chosen Child when the world has plenty of those by Tri. Meiko as a character kind of bores me -- I'm not much for the shy glasses-girl stereotype. Her interactions with Meicoomon were very interesting in Determination as well as in Loss, but I'm not fond of Meiko's backstory. The daughter of a professor who knows a lot about Digimon...yeah, for some reason that just doesn't interest me at all. It feels a little bit out of place in Adventure's universe considering the timeline. As for Meicoomon him/herself, I honestly find it hard to care at all because the voice grates on my ears. I think it's awful. So it's difficult for me to be objective.

What REALLY annoys me is how similar their names are. Meiko, Meicoomon...and on top of that, Meiko calls Meicoomon "Mei-chan" and Meicoomon calls Meko "Mei." I just......really? REALLY? I honestly can't stand that. It's even worse because it really seems like it was a conscious decision on the writers' part. Giving them more distinct names would help me tell them apart (I'm being facetious; yes, I can tell the weird cat creature from the Boring Anime Girl, but they're both so uninteresting they might as well be the same person to me).

Like I've said in other threads, I'm enjoying Tri because I get to see my favorite characters again, but I still wish they made different decisions about the kind of story they wanted to tell. I would have been perfectly content with a slice-of-life TV show about the kids and their Digimon as they explore new hobbies, ponder their futures, and develop their friendships/relationships with each other. Of course there would still need to be a story pushing things, and new characters are unavoidable if you want to introduce a new story, so I'm not opposed to the idea of these new characters. I don't even particularly dislike the characters themselves. Daigo at least has an interesting personality and Meiko's fine, if a bit dull and boring to watch. Maki's the only one I can't stand, but I think we're supposed to feel that way about her (either that or pity her, but I don't really pity people who make terrible decisions because of their own tragedies).

Some people have said to me that Maki and Bakumon are supposed to parallel Sora and Piyomon in Loss, but I would be more interested in seeing these characters all INTERACT and be parallels in ways that are a bit more clear. Sora has no idea about Bakumon and Maki right now, so she herself can't reflect on her similar issue with Piyomon and how differently she handled it. Of course the series isn't over yet, but I doubt we're going to get any introspective moments for the characters.

Basically, I don't mind that these new characters exist. I'm just not impressed by or interested in their stories, which is a shame. I'll keep watching in hopes that the next two films will change my opinion.
    Last edited by AquaVersus; 03-09-2017 at 06:17 PM.

With the partner becoming the Sovereigns that was part of Adventure Novels, so part of the lore for a long time it just the first time it appeared in the anime. Which I really like the Maki and Daigo are Digidestined though I didn't initially believe in the theory. It gives them more depth than just government agent and more involvement now that their story is moving to Digital World.

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    My basic opinion on this new characters can be easily summarized in that if they weren't exist, tri. would be dull as hell. I mean, it's thanks to them that the plot is going to something interesting. Obviously, from a subjective point of view, there are some of them that I like more than others of course. Personally, I'm the Daigo kind of guy, that is, someone that really protect those who care about, and I can identify myself with Maki, and I can understand her motivations. On the other hand, I'm not really fond of Meiko (in Loss her performance is a bit better though), cause I'm really into femenine strong Digimon protagonists like Ruki or Izumi. Meiko is the helpless kind of girl, not because she has a stronger Digimon than the others or not, but because she has adquired this role of "Damisel in Distress", and in fairness, it is what she seems exactly most of the time. After that we have Meicoomon, which is probably the true protagonist of tri. Everything is said with that. About Pervert Gennai, I really despise him, he causes me nausea, but at the same time, it's one of the most brilliant and genuine characters in tri. Regarding Alphamon and Jesmon, they probably represent the two opposite points of views of Yggdrasill and Homeostasis, since two Gods cannon literally fight each other in a physical way, doesn't make sense; in other words, they are the actual representation of this two justice's senses colliding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast