With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: How about 02 Tri series next?

  1. #51
    Junior Commander Rohan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    247
    I can't see them using the 02 Kids in a meaningful way other than a plot device with only two movies left to go, so a sequel series would be much appreciated - preferably a tv series as I felt the movie format hurt Tri more than it helped.

  2. #52
    Junior Commander
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
    I can't see them using the 02 Kids in a meaningful way other than a plot device with only two movies left to go, so a sequel series would be much appreciated - preferably a tv series as I felt the movie format hurt Tri more than it helped.
    I agree that 02 kids will be only a plot device in Tri.

    I don't think the OVAs Premiun format hurt Tri so much, this format had the purpose that this was not lost among the enormous amount of animes that appear each season (this goal seem to be achieved). However, I also would prefer a continuation for TV or even regular OVAs.

    That said, I suspect that even a continuation of Tri will still focus mainly in Adventure kids.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    That said, I suspect that even a continuation of Tri will still focus mainly in Adventure kids.
    Totally with you on that. The original eight kids just plain have more marketability that the four 02 kids, and at the end of the day, creators want something that will sell. And Taichi will outsell Daisuke any day of the week. Plus, I think it would be very hard to create a third season where part of the group is missing/passive. In 02, the older kids were largely absent because they couldn't armor Digivolve. In Tri, the 02 kids are missing. Having to come up with another reason, and then to write around it, would be a lot more difficult that just having all 12 or 13 together.

    However there are still two large unanswered questions that could still spur a fourth season. The Dark Ocean, and how the Digimon end up living in the real world. They could even not have the 02 kids found by the end of Tri, and have the next season be "the search for the 02 crew", though I doubt that will happen. As I said before though, anything that may happen will heavily feature Taichi and co.

  4. #54
    I come from the net KaenKazui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616
    Add KaenKazui on Google+ Follow KaenKazui on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpeBB View Post
    Totally with you on that. The original eight kids just plain have more marketability that the four 02 kids, and at the end of the day, creators want something that will sell. And Taichi will outsell Daisuke any day of the week. Plus, I think it would be very hard to create a third season where part of the group is missing/passive. In 02, the older kids were largely absent because they couldn't armor Digivolve. In Tri, the 02 kids are missing. Having to come up with another reason, and then to write around it, would be a lot more difficult that just having all 12 or 13 together.
    So what?

    Those characters are all already established. If they would be focussing on creating development in a more natural way (like Tamers did) it wouldn't be a problem so much.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    So what?

    Those characters are all already established. If they would be focussing on creating development in a more natural way (like Tamers did) it wouldn't be a problem so much.
    What do you mean 'so what'? I don't see what the characters being established has to do with what I said.

  6. #56
    I come from the net KaenKazui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616
    Add KaenKazui on Google+ Follow KaenKazui on DeviantArt
    It actually has a lot to do with it. Normally, in writing, large cast groups are considered a big problem, as it is harder to establish each characters strengths and weaknesses without overly focussing on him or her. It is not impossible (as Tamers proofs) but it is a hard thing to do and especially series formats, that are often written by several writers, fail at it. Which brings us, as the audience, to see many characters as a big problem.

    But the fact is: It isn't. Especially if the characters are already established and you don't need to show their strengths and weaknesses. The audience already knows the most important stuff about the characters, so you can just dive into development, for those characters, that need to develop.

    Even having so many characters in fights isn't really a problem. Just have more enemies at once and go the route Appmon went recently with everybody fighting their respective enemy.

    So really: It is not a problem to have 13 characters at once. No, they won't have the same amount of development, but they don't need to. Why would they?

  7. #57
    Junior Commander
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    It actually has a lot to do with it. Normally, in writing, large cast groups are considered a big problem, as it is harder to establish each characters strengths and weaknesses without overly focussing on him or her. It is not impossible (as Tamers proofs) but it is a hard thing to do and especially series formats, that are often written by several writers, fail at it. Which brings us, as the audience, to see many characters as a big problem.
    I do not consider that Tamer manages to handle a big group of characters, since it only adequately develops four or five characters.

    The problem of managing a big group of characters is to fairly evenly distribute screen time. If you have a big group of characters, but only a smal group receives a good amount of development, then you can not say that you handle a big group of characters.

    This is just my opinion.


    Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    But the fact is: It isn't. Especially if the characters are already established and you don't need to show their strengths and weaknesses. The audience already knows the most important stuff about the characters, so you can just dive into development, for those characters, that need to develop.

    Even having so many characters in fights isn't really a problem. Just have more enemies at once and go the route Appmon went recently with everybody fighting their respective enemy.

    So really: It is not a problem to have 13 characters at once. No, they won't have the same amount of development, but they don't need to. Why would they?
    It's true that 13 (in fact, 25 or 26) characters don't need the same amount of development. That's why it's probably that a continuation of Tri will still focus on Adventure kids, while 02 kids (especially Iori and Miyako) will be relegated with little or no development.

    Adventure kids sell more and most of the audience wants to see their development. Even if we see a lot of them in Tri, it's highly unlikely that a continuation of Tri won't focus on them.
    Last edited by Kon; 07-19-2017 at 05:24 AM.

  8. #58
    Super Moderator Theigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    in a house
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    I do not consider that Tamer manages to handle a big group of characters, since it only adequately develops four or five characters.
    Dividing focus between the characters and deciding which part of the cast needs a lot of development and which part doesn't is exactly how you handle a big group of of characters. The side cast in tamers (Hirokazu, Juri, etc) gets less decidedly less screen-time than the main protagonist, which is why they don't need that much development in the first place. Anything else tends not to work within the constraints of this type of story. It is when a show pretends to have a dozen main characters that are always present but most of them just hover in the background doing nothing, when a character doesn't get enough development in relation to how much screen time they get, that's when shallowness becomes noticeable and therefore problematic.

    ...also, don't call me Igno.

  9. #59
    Junior Commander
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Dividing focus between the characters and deciding which part of the cast needs a lot of development and which part doesn't is exactly how you handle a big group of of characters. The side cast in tamers (Hirokazu, Juri, etc) gets less decidedly less screen-time than the main protagonist, which is why they don't need that much development in the first place. Anything else tends not to work within the constraints of this type of story. It is when a show pretends to have a dozen main characters that are always present but most of them just hover in the background doing nothing, when a character doesn't get enough development in relation to how much screen time they get, that's when shallowness becomes noticeable and therefore problematic.
    I did not express myself properly.

    In this discussion about the difficult handle of a big group of characters, I was mean a big group of main characters, which is how Tri is handled (and a continuation of Tri will be handled this way as well).

    Of course, if the big group of character is divided between main characters and secondary character (like Tamer did), so it was less complicated to handle.


    PS: The screentime does not necessarily have to carry development or evolution, this can be used simply for characterization or interaction of characters. In my opinion, this could be good use of screentime too.
    Last edited by Kon; 07-19-2017 at 07:55 AM.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    It actually has a lot to do with it. Normally, in writing, large cast groups are considered a big problem, as it is harder to establish each characters strengths and weaknesses without overly focussing on him or her. It is not impossible (as Tamers proofs) but it is a hard thing to do and especially series formats, that are often written by several writers, fail at it. Which brings us, as the audience, to see many characters as a big problem.

    But the fact is: It isn't. Especially if the characters are already established and you don't need to show their strengths and weaknesses. The audience already knows the most important stuff about the characters, so you can just dive into development, for those characters, that need to develop.

    Even having so many characters in fights isn't really a problem. Just have more enemies at once and go the route Appmon went recently with everybody fighting their respective enemy.

    So really: It is not a problem to have 13 characters at once. No, they won't have the same amount of development, but they don't need to. Why would they?
    You completely missed the point of what I was saying. I never said writing for many characters was hard. In fact I was sort of saying the exact opposite. I more or less said I think all 13 characters will be there, because the original 8 are more popular, and it would be hard to create a decent reason why part of the group is missing.

    I never questioned how hard it would be to develop characters, whether they're established or not. And Digimon has always done a good job of developing a large group of characters, since the very beginning 8, well 16, main characters right off the bat and they did a good job fleshing everyone out. So I agree that developing large a large group of characters is not a big problem.

    But character development didn't really matter as to why I agreed with Kon, that any continuation will focus on the Adventure kids.
    Last edited by SharpeBB; 07-19-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •