With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having problems with the space bar when replying on this site

A potential fix...

Could a few of you please go to the User Settings page and try the following: (try to avoid touching other things, as changed settings here can affect a handful of things.)

Go towards the bottom and find "Miscellaneous Options" and "Message Editor Interface"

Try using either the Basic or Standard editor (hit save changes after.) The basic editor likely will be to simple for most people, so I recommend trying on Standard.

Once you do that test things out and let me know how things seem.

Also, the version of Chrome I have as a secondary browser just updated to a new version, and I can't seem to make this issue happen.

Can people make sure their Chrome is fully updated as of 'now' and double check if this is still happening, and if it is, step by step 'what' they do to make this issue happen (hopefully testing it a few times themselves to make sure it's repeatable.)

I know people have said what they did prior to this, but I'd like clean step by step instructions if possible, so that I can hopefully repeat what happens to see what other options there may be to fix it beyond having people use a different version of the editor.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I can check things out. I'm currently running Version 57.0.2987.54 beta for Mac, so Chrome hasn't force-updated on me yet. I'll run through a few things myself before updating just for the sake of exploration (more detail on current plus testing the above suggestion). It's possible that a Chrome-side bug already had been noticed by Google and that the new version is/includes a patch.

Current settings: So, current settings (no change from the earlier report) is using the Enhanced Editor. Going to the usual Quick Reply textbox and just typing a reply operates as intended. Clicking Reply with Quote and using the Quick Reply textbox (the one that moves to be directly under the post being quoted) results in the space bar not being recognized when typing per usual. All while still using the Quick Reply textbox: Using the Arrow keys allows the space bar to be recognized temporarily so long as there's a character to the right of the flashing text cursor (no character to the right results in the space bar not being recognized again). Pressing Return/Enter in the Quick Reply textbox causes everything to respond in the intended manner. Text and spaces can be entered after the new paragraph space, or the Enter spacing can be deleted. No need to use Arrow keys or anything. If this issue is "fixed" by the Enter solution, the bug returns if, on the same page or another, the Quick Reply button is pressed again. As mentioned earlier, whatever's off with Chrome can be resolved if, after pulling up the Reply-With-Quite Quick Reply textbox, the Go Advanced button is pressed.

Testing Basic Editor: No such issues arise; the space bar is recognized in all of the cases above where it isn't recognized (as well as those where it is recognized).

Testing Standard Editor: Same as with the Basic Editor, the space bar seems to be recognized as intended.

As I have a bunch of stuff still running in Chrome (yeah, several overlapping Wiki maintenance projects plus grad research), I'll be a while before I'm at a point to update Chrome manually. I can report back when I can update if a Chrome-side fix hasn't been verified by then. If your updated Chrome isn't causing the bug per above, then that's fairly suggestive of a fix by Google. I'll be getting work done up to and through my spring break, so hopefully I can verify things from my side sooner rather than later.

I tried using Reply with Quote and typing in the quick reply textbox in Chome Version 58.0.3029.6 dev (64-bit) on Windows 10 and spaces definitely seem to be working properly.

If anyone else with the issue can test, it'd be appreciated. Google 'may' have reverted the change they made that was causing data to not get to the WYSIWYG editor properly.

Regardless, I'm also looking into potentially adding a more modern editor to the forum, but it currently doesn't look like a realistic option, at least in the short term.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

look at that, a front end issue I wasn't aware of... or rather "insulated" since it stems from a browser I rarely use and a editor mode I always forget exists (seriously how can anyone type without knowing exactly what bbcode tags some wysiwyg process produces for you), anyway I have chrome version 56.0.2924.87 and can succesfully reproduced the problem... which seems to be some weird HTML presentation and/or parsing error relating to different types of whitespace characters that is limited to the "extended" wysiwyg editor because it's directly writing into an dynamically updating iframe... basically in order to recognize more than one space in a row the editor dynamically converts spaces into "no-break spaces" or " " characters, and with more than two spaces it will automatically alter between normal and no-break spaces, so there is some sort of process that determines what should happen with a newly entered whitespace and it's gone awry.
    At least for me the broken space bug only applies if I'm trying to insert a space at the end of the text, anywhere in between spaces work fine.
    Looking at the source code, the space does indeed appear at the end of the text, however it isn't visibly recognized by the editor possibly because it gets interpreted as a space in the context of the document structure rather than a space that's part of the editor's text nodes. Adding a line break after it seems to fix it because at that point the space is no longer the last text node in the post. The "misbehaving" space will always be a normal space and never a non-break space. further space bar input do still cause the text field to "update" but it just seems to overwrite the non-functional space with another non-functional space.
    Also for some reason pasting anything into the text field, or using "Inspect element" to directly add text into the field in the source code will fix the space bar functionality.

Well, my first crash in a long time finally occurred (luckily after saving any text in the process of being edited). So that means my Chrome's now updated (and, notably, about 147 old versions lighter - show package contents revealed quite the behemoth). Anyways, that means that I've just tested 58.0.3029.6 Dev from my end now and am unable to reproduce the bug on this version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12